• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
greenedge said:
Cadel is fast enough sprinting to a finish even on a mountain. Velits seems ok from what we saw in the TDF.

Yes, Velists is definately one of the faster climbers. I remember when he beat Hushovd for 5th place in te stage to Colmar in the 2009 Tour and Hushovd was not happy about it.

Uran is another one that is faster than your average climber.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
cunego just isn't a top climber so he doesn't has the chance to show his sprinting that often. samu and purito are also pretty fast, so is scarponi. . . just a few names of the top of my head so i am pretty sure i am forgetting a lot of guys( 6 am and i just got home so i can't really think straight xD )
as incredible as this may sound on a uphill sprint a on top form menchov is mighty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMewJ2okw8&feature=relmfu

I agree, Samu and Purito have some of the fastest finishes of the climbers (Sanchez faster on a flat finish, JRod faster on an uphill finish?).

Evans has a decent sprint, not too fast but he can sprint from a long way out and keep going and wear out the other riders. I think Menchov is kind of similar to Evans in this way.

Velits is proabaly the fastest of these riders, but he is also probably the worst climber out of them.

Swede1 said:
I agree, Samu and Purito have some of the fastest finishes of the climbers (Sanchez faster on a flat finish, JRod faster on an uphill finish?).

Evans has a decent sprint, not too fast but he can sprint from a long way out and keep going and wear out the other riders. I think Menchov is kind of similar to Evans in this way.

Velits is proabaly the fastest of these riders, but he is also probably the worst climber out of them.

There is also a difference depending on the type of finish. Some of these are good when it comes to sprinting at the top of a mountain while others are better on a finish where they have finished with a downhill after the last mountain and are in a flat sprint to the line in a group of 15-30 riders. I think in the flat sprint Velits would be the favourite unless someone like Rojas or Hushovd manages to get over the final climb.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Swede1 said:

Evans has a similar kick to Menchov?????? What?!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans has a similar kick to Menchov?????? What?!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Menchov has a pretty decent kick at the end of a long and gradual or power climb (see his outrunning Danilo di Luca on Alpe di Siusi) but there is absolutely no way he has the same kind of sprint kick as Evans on the wide range of things Evans can do. Evans' sprint in a short uphill finish is at least a couple of levels above Denis'.

To be true to my own signature, I have to point out that Enrico Battaglin, the future Italian superstar, in his first pro appearance for Colnago at GP Camaiore placed prominently as 19th in a group including a.o. Ginanni and Schumacher, in front of notable names as Basso and Szmyd. These hilly Italian races will be his playground the next ten years :cool:

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Since I couldn't find any better place to ask this question (maybe a chit-chat thread or something?): Is there any site that offers the Tour de France 2011 prize money list by riders? I know there are plenty offering the top money list by teams, but I would like to know how much riders got the prize money.

LaFleur said:
Since I couldn't find any better place to ask this question (maybe a chit-chat thread or something?): Is there any site that offers the Tour de France 2011 prize money list by riders? I know there are plenty offering the top money list by teams, but I would like to know how much riders got the prize money.

All prize money is awarded to the team and not the rider. The team then devides all the prize money among the riders and staff. If you want to know how much money a specific rider earned for the team total you would have to look through the results and calculate it yourself.

TRENDING THREADS