• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh brilliant. It would have been dull if Teklehaimanot won again but Berhane's their number 2 rider and has won a stage in La Tropicale Amissa Bongo (which Charteau won), so not too much of a surprise but still a surprise nonetheless.

Edit:
I hope I'm wrong here but I think this may be the base jersey for the continental champions
team_time_trial_winner_eri.jpg

from the TTT podium

Podium.jpg

Women's ITT podium

In my humble opinion Berhane is to Teklehaimanot what Andy was to Fränk before the 2007 Giro.
Younger, with some (including me) saying he's even more talented, but without having the results to prove it yet.

Berhane will make his way into the top ranks, I'm sure of it.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fus087 said:
In my humble opinion Berhane is to Teklehaimanot what Andy was to Fränk before the 2007 Giro.
Younger, with some (including me) saying he's even more talented, but without having the results to prove it yet.

Berhane will make his way into the top ranks, I'm sure of it.

Nice.

Both are very young yet and if they aren't early peakers they can reach quite a high level. Berhane'll be sole leader of Eritrea next year in the Africa tour (if Teklehaimanot races early season in Europe) and we can really see his true quality (just checked that he's only 20).

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ah, nice to get the results. Heh just looked CQ, MTN next year will have 3 Eritreans and an Ethiopian in the squad. The dinner table small talk will be interesting indeed...

ramjambunath said:
Nice.

Both are very young yet and if they aren't early peakers they can reach quite a high level. Berhane'll be sole leader of Eritrea next year in the Africa tour (if Teklehaimanot races early season in Europe) and we can really see his true quality (just checked that he's only 20).

Only that Berhane (as well as Jani Tewelde and Meran Russan) have signed with MTN. ;)
"If you can't beat them, join them (or make them join you" - nice move by the South Africans...

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
When'll he join MTN, if it's the end of the African season then he will have a few races for Eritrea without Teklehaimanot (if he races in Europe). That's what I meant, could be a million miles off target though.
Don't like the idea of Berhane sharing leadership with Reinhart.

All MTN need to do is add in a Congolese rider to make for a nice exchange of pleasantries.

Hey, I'm not Douglas Ryder, you know. :p
My guess is as good as yours.

The question is, however, how many early races there will be in Africa.
The Tropicale has been moved to late April, so there's only the Tour of Egypt, a new race in the Côte d'Ivoire (where I'm not convinced that will actually happen until it's underway) and the Challenges de la Marche Verte in January/February.
On the other hand, that's about as much as there was last year, in terms of race days.

Wait and see, I guess.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There's the tour of Cameroon, Egypt, Algeria and Morocco between January and April. Let's see what happens.

Tour of Rwanda website will be up today, race starts Sunday.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Rumours abounding that there will be no Gilbert or Hushovd at TDU. From what I've heard BMC are sending Burghardt, Frank, Quinziato & Roe.

It would be a rumour if they were actually going to start in a race like that, not the other way around.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
It would be a rumour if they were actually going to start in a race like that, not the other way around.
Well there were talks from people who are 'in the know' about it but it hasn't been confirmed yet so it is a rumour.
El Pistolero said:

Take your 'cyclo-crap' to the appropriate sub-forum please.:cool:

TRENDING THREADS