• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
i was all for the breakaway league and i still am but it seems the blackmail against uci finally worked and the things calmed down(of course contador's leaking case is unforgettable and uci rats should pay for this).i think mcquaid deserves a second chance,if a scandal erupts next year,skrew this,breakaway league ftw!we don't need the circus of 2006-2008

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gilbert's book came out, some interesting anecdotes in the newspaper:

- Boonen said to Gert Steegmans, who later told it to Gilbert, that if Gilbert dropped him on the little hill at the Belgian championship he'd quit cycling. :) He also called it his best performance of the season in terms of technique and tactics.

- He crashed 2 days before la Flèche Wallonne when he was doing a wheelie. He landed on his back and his elbow. His elbow was covered with bandages at the pre-race press conference of La Flèche Wallonne, but apparently no one bothered asking about it.

- After the finish in Cap Fréhel Greipel was very angry at Gilbert. He said to him "you're an egoist, you only ride for your self, and you never do something for someone else". Gilbert sent him walking and took a shower. When Marc Sergeant returned, Gilbert told him that he wouldn't start the next day because he didn't like Greipel's insinuations. But in the end Marc Sergeant managed to reconcile the two and then some story about how he helped Greipel at the hills by pushing him up.

- He got the news that OPL was going to split the day after his victory at Liège-Bastogne-Liège. Dirk Messens, the juridical director of the Nationale Loterij, pressured him to sign a contract with Lotto that very same day. He called it his "worst day of 2011".

==

The book isn't about what happens during the races, but more anecdotal stories of what happened outside the races. Should be an interesting read.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yet another book brought out half way through someone's career, I hate that. Like reading the first 5 chapters of a novel and then waiting a few years to finish it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Yet another book brought out half way through someone's career, I hate that. Like reading the first 5 chapters of a novel and then waiting a few years to finish it.

The book is only about 2011 and it's called "my dream year".

May 6, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:

If people are stupid to keep on buying book's like that then it's not Gilbert's fault for profiting off idiots.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If people are stupid to keep on buying book's like that then it's not Gilbert's fault for profiting off idiots.

That's a pretty stupid mistake to make when you're calling other people idiots :p

The book is mostly about moments outside races, it's not really a book about his career, so I don't see the problem to be honest. And he did enough this year to write a whole book(not that he wrote it him self) :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
That's a pretty stupid mistake to make when you're calling other people idiots :p

The book is mostly about moments outside races, it's not really a book about his career, so I don't see the problem to be honest. And he did enough this year to write a whole book(not that he wrote it him self) :p

You are a real big man correcting someone elses grammar mistake. Well done. :rolleyes:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

So is it one of those ghost written books? It's no different to how a World Cup ends and a member (or all) of the English football team all release books either as a ghost written autobiography or some diary of the WC. It doesn't matter to me as it won't be published in English and I don't understand Dutch or French (to any great extent, except maybe get from A to B), but even if I did and I lived in Belgium, I wouldn't buy it anyway as I find it rather cheesey.

And finally, touché, **** :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So is it one of those ghost written books? It's no different to how a World Cup ends and a member (or all) of the English football team all release books either as a ghost written autobiography or some diary of the WC. It doesn't matter to me as it won't be published in English and I don't understand Dutch or French (to any great extent, except maybe get from A to B), but even if I did and I lived in Belgium, I wouldn't buy it anyway as I find it rather cheesey.

And finally, touché, **** :p

I guess it is because I can't see how he had the time to write a whole book in just a few months. Not going to buy the book as well by the way, I'm more of a "I'll wait till it's on DVD" kinda guy :D

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:

The worst example is Wayne Rooney's bio - released when he was 21 years old. :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Expecting big things from Bardet. In Ain i thought he did well, till one day he collapsed.

Cav misses Renshaw. I think CJ could fill the role quite well, for Cav. We saw at the Vuelta he has great positioning and intuition. He also has a track background. However i would hate for CJ to just be leading out for Cav all the time especially since he has had his best season to date. The only time i would like to see him lead Cav out would be at the TDF ( he would be overjoyed just being there )where even Eddy would have to help.

Interesting that Cav doesn't seem to think he and Renshaw will be racing for the win in the same races.

Everything I've read seems to indicate Renshaw will be given first shot at being Rabo's first sprinter (hence no more OF). So I'm not sure what races Cav thinks Renshaw will miss selection in, that he'll be racing.

Maybe some of the early season ones will be different, but come July, I imagine they'll both be in France - though I imagine Renshaw won't be in London - even if he out races Goss most of the season.

TRENDING THREADS