• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You really don't know a lot about cycling, do you? The history of this sport is littered with stories like this.

Yeah, as in history. And that still wouldn't change the fact that Kolobnev is a fraudeur if it was true. Perhaps you don't know a whole lot about the actual meaning of the word?

Person1: Hey I killed someone, I'm a murderer!
Theyoungest: you really don't know a lot about life, do you? The history of humanity is written with blood.

????

I cant read French so I dont know the story but everyone seems to be acting like hes guilty on this thread.

Is there proof or is it just a rumor?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink chickened out again. Just like in 2008 when he was supposed to ride the Giro but did the Vuelta instead. He now decided not to ride the Giro after all and go for the Tour-Vuelta double instead.

Too bad. Still think the Giro would be THE gc for him. :(
Wow that was quick. He could change his schedule back and forth again yet.

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, as in history. And that still wouldn't change the fact that Kolobnev is a fraudeur if it was true. Perhaps you don't know a whole lot about the actual meaning of the word?
Let me rephrase it: why the hell do you follow cycling? A lot of these guys are fraudeurs, by your meaning of the word at least.

The Hitch said:
Wow that was quick. He could change his schedule back and forth again yet.
It already seemed like it was just an idea, not a definite plan, but it was picked up by desperate media in cycling silly season as if it was THE plan for next year. He now realized that it would mean riding 3 GTs in one year, returning from a broken leg.

The Hitch said:
I cant read French so I dont know the story but everyone seems to be acting like hes guilty on this thread.

Is there proof or is it just a rumor?

rumour.but again,usually when there is a two man sprint there is also an offer.that's cycling history since maurice garin,tommy simpson,sean kelly,richard virenque and so on.

el pistolero,your comparison is exacerbated.really.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The article is not very clear. It only reports the accusations that were made by a magazine "Illustré", which appears to be franco-swiss.

The accusations are based on an e-mail exchange, so we can assume that this has to do with the hacking of Vino's e-mails. Kolobnev is said to have sent Vino the number of a Swiss bank account where he was supposed to transfer the 100,000€.

When asked about it by the magazine, Kolobnev said he would never have sold the possibility to win such a race. Vino also denies it: "I have never done this in my career, I have always fought for the win. This is private, I am not talking to the police here. It's another story to drag me into the mudd. (...) I often lend money left and right.

The article also highlights that Vino and Kolobnev had several discussions during their échappée.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
The article is not very clear. It only reports the accusations that were made by a magazine "Illustré", which appears to be franco-swiss.

The accusations are based on an e-mail exchange, so we can assume that this has to do with the hacking of Vino's e-mails. Kolobnev is said to have sent Vino the number of a Swiss bank account where he was supposed to transfer the 100,000€.

When asked about it by the magazine, Kolobnev said he would never have sold the possibility to win such a race. Vino also denies it: "I have never done this in my career, I have always fought for the win. This is private, I am not talking to the police here. It's another story to drag me into the mudd. (...) I often lend money left and right.

The article also highlights that Vino and Kolobnev had several discussions during their échappée.

I find all of this hard to believe and urban myth that this happened.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Let me rephrase it: why the hell do you follow cycling? A lot of these guys are fraudeurs, by your meaning of the word at least.

It already seemed like it was just an idea, not a definite plan, but it was picked up by desperate media in cycling silly season as if it was THE plan for next year. He now realized that it would mean riding 3 GTs in one year, returning from a broken leg.

yeah. To be honest I didn't like the idea of him riding the giro next year. I mean I really want him to give the giro a go, I'd rather him try it in 2013 then the tour (depending on the course) but next year.. would have been an anton effort (probably always will be at the giro, if he ever goes tho).

However I believe with a lighter schedule him doing the vuelta after the tour could be a great oppurtunity to podium or even win his first GT. Or at the very least be competitive. But who knows, maybe he will just use the vuelta as world prep (or even skip it)..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Any chance of a translation?

VDB:
As happens a lot in a race, money is being talked about. The DS of Banesto said: if you give us x amount of money we'll let you win the race. I watched him in the eyes and said I'll think about it. But I thought to my self, it doesn't work like that here. And after 5km there came a long climb and the wind came from the left. I didn't keep Odriozola out of the wind anymore and accelerated. The DS obviously saw he was going to get dropped and he yelled "take it easy Vandenbroucke" and I said: you give me the money and he gets to become second. Otherwise I drop him and he agreed.

El Pistolero said:
But to answer your original question. Yes, I'm aware of those stories. Here is a story for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKxuv8iBysI&feature=related

Look at around 7 minutes.
stop with some random videos.

how can you not know even now in cycling many races are bought? It's the most normal thing in cycling. Seriously. A Belgian of all people should know this more than others

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Openned Podium Cafe today and found great news. Greenedge Women Team's no longer a mistery.

Roster:Judith Arndt, Tiffany Cromwell, Shara Gillow, Loes Gunnewijk, Claudia Häusler, Melissa Hoskins, Jessie Maclean, Amanda Spratt, and Linda Villumsen.

The press release

the big news is in fact that il killer really trains now so those aren't just words.he will be on a grand tour contender program,all the grinta for abruzzo fans.2 stages and a top 5 is reachable,can't see him beating rujano,basso,andy and scarponi although i'd like it(not rujano)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
stop with some random videos.

how can you not know even now in cycling many races are bought? It's the most normal thing in cycling. Seriously. A Belgian of all people should know this more than others

No, it's not the most normal thing in cycling for stuff like this to happen in 2011. Stop trying to provoke people. This isn't six day racing we're talking about here. So you think Gilbert also paid of everyone to win all his races huh? Lol.... He sure has a lot of money then.

Oh and it's not a random video, it's about offering money to win a race.

Just because something happened a lot 10 years ago, doesn't mean it's still like that. Especially for the bigger races. I bet Andy only gets second all the time because he gets paid to lose :eek: There's a big difference in "buying" a GT stage(with money or something else) than it is to buy a GT or Monument.

Boogerd must be the richest man in cycling then. I bet Cavendish isn't really the fastest sprinter in the world! He's just paying Greipel to mess up! Thanks for opening my eyes.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The Dale Parker news is huge to me. He was still a big chance to become something. The guy is like 20, and a big chance at the London Olympics, if nothing else.

Huge news for Australian (if nowhere else) cycling.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
abbaskip said:
The Dale Parker news is huge to me.

I'm surprised that this story hasn't gained more traction (yet).
CN article says he is only 19. It's the "he did not wish to comment further" part that can only raise questions. Any more insight from the Australian press?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts