• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:

She might embarass a good few riders. It would improve the status of womens' cycling.

[edit] actually I have no idea what she'd be able to do in the male peloton, but learly she'd be better than some, worse than others. Probably someone else on here has a better guess as to how it would go.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
In her recent max test she scored 6,63 W/kg. She'd be among the best men of the Rabobank team with that result.

I definitely think she could keep up with the peloton in smaller races.

OK, an objective way to compare Vos and male riders. I revert to my original post. She'd embarass quite a few.

gooner said:
Interesting to see ITV4 extend its contract for the tour de france. With cav joining team sky i thought sky sports would get involved just like they have in F1 for the upcoming season. To get the tour they would keep a lot of subscribers that they normally would lose coz of the closure of the football season and gain some as well.

Are sky ever goin to get involved in any other races outside the tour down under. Because itv have the tour i think that means they have the rights to all ASO races as ASO sell the rights collectively to all their races.

That probably leaves just the giro and the month of may is very busy on the sky sports channels with the climax of the football season.

Sky would never show cycling outside of sky sports 4.

And it wouldnt get them any subscribers because Eurosport which all sky subscribers have automatically (even those like me who dont have SKy sports) also show the Tour so I dont see why cycling fans would pay 40 a month for the Tour when you can get it on ES for 10.

Disapoointed to see ITV not showing the Giro though. Their Vuelta coverage was excellent/

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
In her recent max test she scored 6,63 W/kg. She'd be among the best men of the Rabobank team with that result.

I think she would already struggle at U23 rank let alone compete pro ranks. For example, I did athletics and in certain events on the track I'm better than female pros yet I'm nowhere near the performance of the pro men. Nowhere near.

It would be interesting to see her try however, but I think certain people would just laugh at her performance whenever she gets dropped and use it as an argument as to why female cycling is not worth a lot. Plus, is it even possible according to the UCI rules? (didn't read the article)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
yes I also wonder how he can't have turned out like all those other great gc men lefevre aided in his team

I think their failure is more to do with them self than with the team. Cadel Evans had a great year with Mapei for example.

Who are some of the good cyclists today? Filippo Pozzato, Bernard Eisel, Cadel Evans, Fabian Cancellara, Daniele Bennati, Stijn Devolder, Allan Davis, etc

What do these guys have in common? They all started their career with Mapei.

Plus Mapei won a Giro. Not bad at all, not bad at all.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Keep up with the peloton, yes, but embarras some, I seriously doubt it. Seriously.
It's as El Pistolero said imo.

Michielveedeebee said:
Keep up with the peloton, yes, but embarras some, I seriously doubt it. Seriously.
It's as El Pistolero said imo.
Yeah, but I guess El Pisti lacks the evidence of a physical test which proves he's the equal of some top level pros, at least on paper :eek:

Vos might have difficulties in a really long flat race, where it's more about pure power and endurance. In a short hilly race I seriously think she could do quite well. Think of her as an Euskaltel rider ;) (with better bike handling skills)

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah, but I guess El Pisti lacks the evidence of a physical test which proves he's the equal of some top level pros, at least on paper :eek:

Vos might have difficulties in a really long flat race, where it's more about pure power and endurance. In a short hilly race I seriously think she could do quite well. Think of her as an Euskaltel rider ;) (with better bike handling skills)

Okay true that as well, but I'm yet to meet a girl that can match me in running/cycling/swimming... And I've run with some very sporty girls :p

Michielveedeebee said:
Okay true that as well, but I'm yet to meet a girl that can match me in running/cycling/swimming... And I've run with some very sporty girls :p
But Vos's numbers are way higher than other pro women... she's an exceptional case, I guess, and it's certainly an interesting experiment to let her enter a men's race. Why not, I say.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:

I don't need proof. Just look at the male Gold medalists from the Junior WC in athletics and compare them to the female Gold medalists from the Senior WC in athletics. Bare in mind that the men throw with heavier objects in throwing numbers and the hurdles are higher as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Junior_Championships_in_Athletics#Track

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Championships_in_Athletics#Field_2

Vos would get dropped on even the slightest speed-bump.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Vos is very light, and scores a very good W/kg... she's probably more likely to get dropped on the flat than on a hill.

It's pretty useless to compare track and field to cycling, by the way.

I'm not comparing track and field with cycling. Merely comparing female athletes with male athletes. Athletics is a sport I used as an example because 1) I have experience with the sport and 2) you can easily compare the performances of the male and female athletes with each-other.

In cycling you cannot compare male and female cyclists so easily, but the divergence between females and males is about as big in most sports.

She won't get dropped on the flat(not in a small race at least) because she can benefit from sucking wheels there. When a hill comes up that benefit is greatly reduced. Plus she will feel the high pace of the flat in her legs a lot more when a hill comes up. If she already would get dropped on the flat she would best stay away from male races because she'd only make a fool of herself.

I don't care for someone's W/kg, I only care for their results on the road.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah, her results are pretty shabby :eek:

If we don't have the evidence of her actually racing against men, we have to go by numbers... and those numbers would suggest that she might (I say might) be able to keep up with the peloton.

No, we put her in a man's race and see what she can do. And I'd bet money on her failing. I'd also bet on her failing with the U23 men.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I think she would already struggle at U23 rank let alone compete pro ranks. For example, I did athletics and in certain events on the track I'm better than female pros yet I'm nowhere near the performance of the pro men. Nowhere near.

It would be interesting to see her try however, but I think certain people would just laugh at her performance whenever she gets dropped and use it as an argument as to why female cycling is not worth a lot. Plus, is it even possible according to the UCI rules? (didn't read the article)

I do club races here and I'm in B grade, a hack so to speak :)p), and I often see a girl lining up in the same race with me and she has a pro contract with the Specialized Lululemon team FFS.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I do club races here and I'm in B grade, a hack so to speak :)p), and I often see a girl lining up in the same race with me and she has a pro contract with the Specialized Lululemon team FFS.

Haha, did she whup your ***? :p

TRENDING THREADS