• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
F3reuQTXUAEK-CT

Banana man is still out there somewhere. One of the most talented cyclists of our life time.

Unless there's evidence that he's unhappy with what he's doing, I don't think it's particularily sad.

Also, he has a thread!

This guy…

… recently had an amazing return to the CT scene… Highly talented since the 2000ers, I hope he‘ll get his chance soon, at one of the devo squads, maybe. :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Glad that Michel Ries got renewed by Arkea… :)

He‘s a likeable guy, and has proven that he deserves his place in the World Tour peloton.

I however am surprised how big his gap to other riders has become in the last few years. People he climbed with in the Espoir classes are nowadays so much ahead of him.

Michel is a climber, and his professional life is all about climbing mountains with his bike as fast as he can. Best possible support from outside, and he himself is very professional. He nevertheless almost all the time gets beaten by minutes by people who aren’t even considered to be climbers.

He reminds me of David Moncoutie, but Moncoutie played it somehow smarter, and achieved nice victories, even from the beginning. So I hope for Ries that he still can move forward from this current domestique role. But tbh at the moment, I don’t see him as a second Sepp Kuss.

But as we saw with Gall, „miracles“ can happen, so I‘m hopeful for Ries… Good luck to him for 2024… :)

Glad that Michel Ries got renewed by Arkea… :)

He‘s a likeable guy, and has proven that he deserves his place in the World Tour peloton.

I however am surprised how big his gap to other riders has become in the last few years. People he climbed with in the Espoir classes are nowadays so much ahead of him.

Michel is a climber, and his professional life is all about climbing mountains with his bike as fast as he can. Best possible support from outside, and he himself is very professional. He nevertheless almost all the time gets beaten by minutes by people who aren’t even considered to be climbers.

He reminds me of David Moncoutie, but Moncoutie played it somehow smarter, and achieved nice victories, even from the beginning. So I hope for Ries that he still can move forward from this current domestique role. But tbh at the moment, I don’t see him as a second Sepp Kuss.

But as we saw with Gall, „miracles“ can happen, so I‘m hopeful for Ries… Good luck to him for
Plenty of riders who’ve climbed with the best the juniors/U 23’s have turned out to be average climbers once they’ve turned pro so I don’t think it’s all that surprising that Ries has fallen into that category, people develop at different ages so it’s a good chance that whants happened with Ries. I certainly don’t see the comparisons with Moncoutié but happy to be proven wrong.

I was keeping an eye on Johannes Staune-Mittet during the 2nd stage of TDU.

At the start of the final climb at around 12km left the Visma team all parked at the front of the peloton and it was JSM they had at the back of that pack. Not sure that means they were necessarily riding like that to protect him or if he just happened to be at the back of those 6 riders perhaps. Or they were just practising riding as a team perhaps.

At any rate when things got going in the climb and the pace increased we could see JSM steadily dropping further and further down the pack and when things broke up he ended up in the pack that finished 59s down. It seemed clear that the pace was a little too much for him right now.

Not going to be worried just yet since you never know where people are in their preparations for the season etc. but the contrast to Isaac Del Toro who is one year younger and with similar U-23 accomplishments is noticeable at least.

I was keeping an eye on Johannes Staune-Mittet during the 2nd stage of TDU.

At the start of the final climb at around 12km left the Visma team all parked at the front of the peloton and it was JSM they had at the back of that pack. Not sure that means they were necessarily riding like that to protect him or if he just happened to be at the back of those 6 riders perhaps. Or they were just practising riding as a team perhaps.

At any rate when things got going in the climb and the pace increased we could see JSM steadily dropping further and further down the pack and when things broke up he ended up in the pack that finished 59s down. It seemed clear that the pace was a little too much for him right now.

Not going to be worried just yet since you never know where people are in their preparations for the season etc. but the contrast to Isaac Del Toro who is one year younger and with similar U-23 accomplishments is noticeable at least.

Johannes Staune-Mittet is 2 years older than Isaac Del Toro.

• Wow
Oh man, why didn’t this man get his long, long, long deserved World Tour team contract, for 2024, and beyond?:

Much too good to be a PCT rider!… :)

Oh man, why didn’t this man get his long, long, long deserved World Tour team contract, for 2024, and beyond?:

Much too good to be a PCT rider!… :)

Because he already had a contract, and there are only really 3 teams that buy people out (Visma/BORA/INEOS) and perhaps they weren't interested. He should get picked up by a WT team for next season though, unless Operation Ilex ends up hurting him.

I was looking at PCS' list of riders who have yet to start their first race this season. Thomas Gloag caught my name. He only has one single race day after the Giro of last year.

Does anybody know what's going on with him?
He was hit by a car in training in August, which ended his season. Has been zero news about him since then, but word on the street was that he wasn't seriously harmed by the accident, just enough that it made sense to end his season early.

So I'm wondering the same, really.

I was looking at PCS' list of riders who have yet to start their first race this season. Thomas Gloag caught my name. He only has one single race day after the Giro of last year.

Does anybody know what's going on with him?
I found this post from cyclism Actu from Feb 27th:

Le 22 août dernier, la formation Jumbo-Visma - qui se nomme désormais Team Visma | Lease a Bike - avait annoncé que son coureur Thomas Gloag avait été percuté à l'entraînement par une voiture. Blessé au genou, le Britannique de 21 ans avait dû subir une intervention chirurgicale et avait mis un terme à sa saison, sa première en WorldTour. Depuis, nous n'avons eu aucune nouvelle concernant le cas de Gloag, qui avait fait forte impression lors de ses premiers avec l'équipe néerlandaise. Cyclism'Actu est donc allé aux nouvelles du jeune britannique... et celles-ci ne sont pas forcément rassurantes. En effet, Gloag est toujours en convalescence. Un retour à la compétition n'est pas envisagé avant plusieurs mois, puisque grimpeur ne devrait pas mettre un dossard avant le Tour de Suisse (9 au 16 juin).

Translated:

On August 22, the Jumbo-Visma team - which is now called Team Visma | Lease a Bike - announced that its rider Thomas Gloag had been hit by a car during training. Injured in the knee, the 21-year-old Briton had to undergo surgery and ended his season, his first in the WorldTour. Since then, we have had no news regarding the case of Gloag, who made a strong impression during his first time with the Dutch team. Cyclism'Actu therefore went to the news of the young Briton... and it is not necessarily reassuring. Indeed, Gloag is still recovering. A return to competition is not envisaged for several months, since the climber should not put on a bib before the Tour de Suisse (June 9 to 16).

Damn. After still not hearing anything and not seeing him on any provisional start-lists, I had hoped that he (and Staune-Mittet) would ride Coppi & Bartali for the devo squad before Romandie/Norway.

That's a longer break from racing than Evenepoel had, so maybe something went wrong with the initial recovery?

• Wow
Did you see my post that Cyclism'Actu got word that he won't be ready to race before Tour de Suisse. Any of those races would all be too soon for him.

I think Netserk's comment was a response to your post.

But at least Gloag survived his accident, unlike Juan Pujalte of the Valverde U23 team who died in training in Murcia yesterday. They haven't disclosed the details, so I don't know if a vehicle was involved or not. But no matter how it happened, or whether it's an 18 year old who's just about to start his or her senior career or a 51 year old who's about to end his, it's always heart-wrenching whenever someone has to pay the ultimate price for being part of the sport.