• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like the way Cian Uijtdebroeks is progressing. Should he have his own thread yet? Can he be a future GT winner? More importantly will he improve his downhill technique?
Here‘s his thread. For some reason it was submitted to the Thread directory but wasn‘t included.

Here‘s his thread. For some reason it was submitted to the Thread directory but wasn‘t included.
Thank you Queenstagiaire

Reactions: Sandisfan
Anybody know what happened to Nys in BBT? Yesterday i saw him get dropped from the peloton on a long straight stretch of road. Just had to let go of the peloton. There were no cracks in the peloton, he and he alone had to let go. I understand the pace or level might be too high and he's still young, but to let go on a straight, flat stretch with 70km to go makes me think something else was up (sick, heatstroke...). He lost 16 minutes. Today he only lost 1m50. Certainly looks like something was the matter, but i haven't heard/read anything yet.

• Wow
Anybody know what happened to Nys in BBT? Yesterday i saw him get dropped from the peloton on a long straight stretch of road. Just had to let go of the peloton. There were no cracks in the peloton, he and he alone had to let go. I understand the pace or level might be too high and he's still young, but to let go on a straight, flat stretch with 70km to go makes me think something else was up (sick, heatstroke...). He lost 16 minutes. Today he only lost 1m50. Certainly looks like something was the matter, but i haven't heard/read anything yet.
BALOISE BELGIUM TOUR : 2e etappe Merelbeke - Knokke Heist.
De tweede etappe in de Baloise Belgium Tour die de renners van Merelbeke naar Knokke-Heist bracht draaide uit op een spurt van een omvangrijke groep.
Het peloton werd door de gunstige wind in flarden gescheurd door het werk van Alpecin-Deceuninck en Soudal-Quick-Step)
De spurt werd gewonnen door Jakobsen ( Soudal- Quick Step)
Thibau die in een verder peloton verzeilde spurtte niet mee voor de overwinning.
Morgen tijdrit te Beveren

I guess he crashed. I found that on facebook

BALOISE BELGIUM TOUR : 2e etappe Merelbeke - Knokke Heist.
De tweede etappe in de Baloise Belgium Tour die de renners van Merelbeke naar Knokke-Heist bracht draaide uit op een spurt van een omvangrijke groep.
Het peloton werd door de gunstige wind in flarden gescheurd door het werk van Alpecin-Deceuninck en Soudal-Quick-Step)
De spurt werd gewonnen door Jakobsen ( Soudal- Quick Step)
Thibau die in een verder peloton verzeilde spurtte niet mee voor de overwinning.
Morgen tijdrit te Beveren

I guess he crashed. I found that on facebook
That was today. Yesterday he lost 15 minutes and simply dropped out of the peloton on a flat straight road.

I would like to bring up the case of Savelii Laptev, a rider who you've probably never heard of before. Not really an unknown for those who follow the international junior scene with a close eye, however. For a quick recap: he is a Russian kid under contract with Astana Devo and will for always and forever be the only one to ever beat Antonio Morgado in Portugal (not counting gifts to Goncalo Tavares and Daniel Lima). He has continued developing nicely as an U23, but it would seem his development will come to a halt, for he just got suspended by the UCI. Not for doping, but for liking war content on social media.

Last edited:
Reading a little more about this. Apparently the UCI has a body that follows the behaviour of those who are competing under the neutral flag (so Russians and Belorussians). Those who fail to retain this neutrality will be suspended until further notice, for as long as the rules regarding the war are active. Like Laptev, Anastasiia Voinova and Mariya Novolodskaya (who both podiumed in Tokyo on the track) are also suspended, while Gleb Syritsa (Astana) gets to live another day.

Reading a little more about this. Apparently the UCI has a body that follows the behaviour of those who are competing under the neutral flag (so Russians and Belorussians). Those who fail to retain this neutrality will be suspended until further notice, for as long as the rules regarding the war are active. Like Laptev, Anastasiia Voinova en Mariya Novolodskaya (who both podiumed in Tokyo on the track) are also suspended, while Gleb Syritsa (Astana) gets to live another day.

That could get a bit murky.
Do they have to be 100% neutral, or is speaking out against the war okay? I'm pretty sure that Sivakov - when he was still Russian - spoke out against the war, but then of course he becamse French, and thus is no longer under review. Can't remember if any of the other (still)Russians, have spoken out against the war.

Do they have to be 100% neutral, or is speaking out against the war okay? I'm pretty sure that Sivakov - when he was still Russian - spoke out against the war, but then of course he becamse French, and thus is no longer under review. Can't remember if any of the other (still)Russians, have spoken out against the war.
I haven't seen the content Laptev liked, nor do I know how the rules work exactly. His father, Grigory, made up some lame excuse that Savelii got hacked and that they have no idea how the likes ended up on the account, so it was probably pro Russian propaganda. Whether Vlasov would get suspended for saying that Putin is a dickhead, remains a mystery, hypothetically.

Reactions: RedheadDane

I believe Novolodskaya and some of the other riders were suspended because they had received financial support through the army by being members of CSKA, and not because they had shared any opinions online. In Novolodskaya's case, it was also reported she hadn't been honest about the issue when she signed with Lifeplus - Wahoo. She allegedly wanted/tried to cut the army ties, but the UCI didn't deem it enough.

I believe Novolodskaya and some of the other riders were suspended because they had received financial support through the army by being members of CSKA, and not because they had shared any opinions online. In Novolodskaya's case, it was also reported she hadn't been honest about the issue when she signed with Lifeplus - Wahoo. She allegedly wanted/tried to cut the army ties, but the UCI didn't deem it enough.
I got this from a Russian website, so some things probably got lost in translation. One thing to note is that Laptev has a different suspension date (02/06) as opposed to the others (01/06). Therefore, they are probably different cases and you are probably correct.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I think there was once a thread about riders who deserve a pro contract but I can't find it.

Jambaljamts Sainbayar is a rider you often see on PCS making top3 in various smaller races, but he's also done reasonably well in races that had WT teams on the start like finishing 9th overall in Tour de Langkawi last year. Definetely someone who's good enough to merit a pro contract and it would be cool to see a Mongolian rider on a pro team.

This man‘s ride in Portugal at the moment is what I call a sensation:

He has finished 5th in the Ötztaler Radmarathon and studied sports sciences and did triathlon until last year.

F3reuQTXUAEK-CT

Banana man is still out there somewhere. One of the most talented cyclists of our life time.

• Sad
Reactions: SafeBet