• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Netserk's comment was a response to your post.

But at least Gloag survived his accident, unlike Juan Pujalte of the Valverde U23 team who died in training in Murcia yesterday. They haven't disclosed the details, so I don't know if a vehicle was involved or not. But no matter how it happened, or whether it's an 18 year old who's just about to start his or her senior career or a 51 year old who's about to end his, it's always heart-wrenching whenever someone has to pay the ultimate price for being part of the sport.
Oh no . . .

She won a pro race.

Official Redhead Certification

I, RedheadDane, by the power invested in me, by me, hereby declare Josie Nelson an officially certified redhead!

josie-nelson-2024.jpeg

How to get success in the cobbled classics (relatively) late in your career?
Stop dancing! (At least if you're called Toms Skujins.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Luca Mozzato had made absolutely no indentation on my awareness previously, but he has just come 2nd in the Ronde two weeks after winning Bredene Koksijde.
Who?
How?
Why?
What?
He's been a solid classic rider for a few years now. First showed some promise when he finished 20th in his debut Roubaix (the muddy edition Colbrelli won). Won Bredene Koksijde a couple of weeks ago beating Groenewegen and Thijssen in the sprint.

Not flashy but he'll get the job done and handles bad weather a lot better than most Italian riders nowadays. Yesterday he said he was feeling great throughout the race but chose to pace himself up every berg to not bonk.

Btw watch out for Albanese as well. First ever cobble campaign for him and had some good results. He crashed on the Koppenberg yesterday otherwise he would have likely been with Mozzato.

Very attritional races always bring some surprises, but he's a hardy rider with a good sprint and has been in and around the top 20 for the entire month.

It's a surprise but it's not completely out of nowhere, sort of akin to Madouas coming 3rd in 2022 or Wright's 7th place last year – a guy normally around the top 20 has a great day and races cleverly.

First big result for Madis Mihkels in a WT classic.

It's about time he stops being used to chaperone Thijssen on some random 1.1 classic or to keep everything together for a sprint and gets more chances to ride for himself.

Being a contract year I've been wondering what he could do in the future and honestly Mr. Roodhooft, wouldn't mind if you spent your money with him. Imo perfect environment to develop for a rider of his skills and a solid addition to Alpecin classics team.

If I was forced to choose between keeping Groves or signing a guy like him, would go to the last option. Probably cheaper or not much more expensive that Groves, in actual level I believe they are close and a lot more of upside.

Reactions: Roku
A name that has come to my attention a bit this season is Jordan Jegat: 24 year old but first pro season (Total Energies). A few decent French .1 placings last August, and very respectable in Faun, Itzulia and Fleche so far this year.

So is he a late developer who might be going places (I'm not expecting superstardom, but could he be a race leader in some events for a mid-ranked WT)?

Took a while but has got to his right level now?

Or a bit of a lucky streak, soon to drift back to anonymity?

And in case I ever need to say his name (which almost deserves a place in the Coolest names thread) out loud: gone Anglo with the first name, or Dshourrh-dah(n)?
Dsheh-gah, or is it not really a French surname?

(I briefly thought of trying to get to grips with the IPA during lockdown, but these vague approximations are the best I have)

Reactions: SafeBet