• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alessandro Covi only seems to get Giro stage podiums on iconic stage finishes. Last year 2nd on the Montalcino stage and 3rd on the Zoncolan (with a flat tire on the final part of the climb) and now a stage win of Fedaia. It's probably a great moment for him because he lost his Baby Giro podium spot on the final Fedaia hillclimb with mass start in the Baby Giro in 2019 when Ardila won the whole race. He was 2nd on the gc before the stage, but finished 4th, behind Einer Rubio and Alba.
I'd like to see him ride more hilly one day races, they probably suit him the most.

Alessandro Covi only seems to get Giro stage podiums on iconic stage finishes. Last year 2nd on the Montalcino stage and 3rd on the Zoncolan (with a flat tire on the final part of the climb) and now a stage win of Fedaia. It's probably a great moment for him because he lost his Baby Giro podium spot on the final Fedaia hillclimb with mass start in the Baby Giro in 2019 when Ardila won the whole race. He was 2nd on the gc before the stage, but finished 4th, behind Einer Rubio and Alba.
I'd like to see him ride more hilly one day races, they probably suit him the most.
I see him more as a Hirschi-alternative, maybe a bit better climber, but his early season form showed promise.

Also, my heart skipped a beat when reading ''It's probably a great moment for him because he lost his Baby ... Giro podium spot''

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I see him more as a Hirschi-alternative, maybe a bit better climber, but his early season form showed promise.

Also, my heart skipped a beat when reading ''It's probably a great moment for him because he lost his Baby ... Giro podium spot''
Yeah, I think he's also similar to Hirschi, or an Ulissi with good bike handling skills. He himself doesn't seem to think that he's a proper climber.

Yeah, I think he's also similar to Hirschi, or an Ulissi with good bike handling skills. He himself doesn't seem to think that he's a proper climber.
He's Ulissi 2.0 but with better bike handling, as you say, and hopefully better stamina.
He doesn't consider himself a climber, that's why he attacked on Pordoi on his way to the stage win last Saturday. He didn't think he would stand a chance against the better climbers.
For now he lacks the consistency of Ulissi, who is normally good to very good for almost the entire year.

Anyway Covi will ride Giro dell'Appennino tomorrow, a race where he was second two years ago.

Yeah. Apparently, he really likes them.
On sportif-type rides of 150-200 miles, I sometimes used to have a baggie of small, boiled red potatoes to eat when I got to the point of being sick of sugary items and bananas. That would be a great promo for the tuber industry for the camera to catch him dropping back to the team car mid-race and capture his DS handing him a sticky potato instead of a gel :)

Tyler Stites

This guy finished 2nd in the USA road race yesterday, age 24. He had been riding for Aevelo previous years with minimum PCS points.
This year he is not on any teams and has a lot more to show for it. So maybe leaving Aevelo was a good idea, but I would think other teams would be after this guy.

Tyler Stites

This guy finished 2nd in the USA road race yesterday, age 24. He had been riding for Aevelo previous years with minimum PCS points.
This year he is not on any teams and has a lot more to show for it. So maybe leaving Aevelo was a good idea, but I would think other teams would be after this guy.
I have no idea how to rate the American scene at this moment. So i have no idea how good this guy is or would be were he to ride for a bigger team in bigger races.

Last edited:
Andrey Zeits is currently racing Tirreno-Adriatico which is his third race for Team BikeExchange. Which is remarkable because he was also on that team last year - for some reason, he only rode the Ruta del Sol last year. Maybe because of Covid?

Anyway, did you know that he is the rider in the pro peloton to have ridden the highest number of Grand Tours and finished them all? 18 times. A year ago, he shared that with Nieve who then went ahead and abandoned the Tour.
Zeits is currently taking part in grand tour #20, still without any DNFs. If he completes TDF 2022 he will join a small group of riders who completed all of their first 20 grand tours... Vicente López Carril, Felice Gimondi, Lucien Van Impe, and Sylwester Szmyd.

Zeits is currently taking part in grand tour #20, still without any DNFs. If he completes TDF 2022 he will join a small group of riders who completed all of their first 20 grand tours... Vicente López Carril, Felice Gimondi, Lucien Van Impe, and Sylwester Szmyd.

Zeits really is the real deal. So strong and valuable.

I however noticed that some funny guy noted his height as „1.89 meters“ at PCS:

I‘m pretty sure he‘s much shorter than this… Maybe 1.75 till 1.80 meters.

Tyler Stites

Tyler Stites is on a team this season Project Echelon Racing, he‘s managed to score 10 victories so far this season and is currently racing in Europe just having finished 3rd in a race in Belgium.

In the shadow of la Vuelta, two very interesting things happened in Spanish amateur circuit yesterday. Firstly, Dylan Jimenez won in Baranbio. He is a 20 year old Costa Rican, who has been racing with Lizarte this year (Kern Pharma's feeder team). He had been doing great work for his teammates, who now are either on stagiaire or full contracts with Kern Pherma, all season but in their absence finally got a W. On a very steep wall in Garrastaxu, twice the length of the Mur de Huy, with percentages exceeding 20%. He can be described as a climbing time trialist, looks very promising. I wouldn't mind Oroz throwing a contract at him too.

On the other hand, Edgar Cadena won in Salamanca after demolishing everyone on the Las Batuecas climb. This kid from Mexico is just a pure climber. He won the queen stage in Vuelta a Colombia earlier in the year on Alto del Vino (> 2800 meters in altitude), and has done pretty well in l'Avenir considering his entire team abandoned the race before even seeing a hill, much less a mountain. He has been riding with Telcom, and thus will follow in Vinicius foot steps, who won the race last year. Unzue, you know what to do. Sign him up.