• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Genetic variants who can't fail the T/E test

I've been reading The Sports Gene, and came across this remarkable information which I hadn't been aware of:

About ten percent of people with European ancestry have two copies of a gene variant that allows them to dope with impunity…carriers of two copies of a particular version of the UGT2B17 gene pass the [T/E testosterone] test no matter what. The gene is involved in testosterone excretion and one version of it causes the T/E ratio to remain normal no matter how much testosterone one injects. So ten percent of European athletes can cheat [with impunity on the T/E test]…[This] gene is more rule than exception in other parts of the world, like East Asia. Two-thirds of Koreans have [it].

Keep in mind that while this gene would not affect response to the isotope test, because the latter is expensive and time-consuming , it generally is not used unless the athlete first fails the T/E screening test.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
I've been reading The Sports Gene, and came across this remarkable information which I hadn't been aware of:

Keep in mind that while this gene would not affect response to the isotope test, because the latter is expensive and time-consuming , it generally is not used unless the athlete first fails the T/E screening test.

I wonder how many teams know this?

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:

Make a one-time screening for the gene mutation, recorded as part of the Bio-Passport, nobody can change their genetic make-up overnight.
Those individuals are targeted with the isotope test, not the T/E screen whenever tested.