• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Field 2023 March 26, 260.9 km (1.WT)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Will WVA give the stage to Laporte? What are your thoughts. I have 100 euros on Laporte. I don't know if I should cash out
Honestly, WvA hasn't won many big races and thus he won't give this one away.
Laporte has a good contract at Jumbo and is more than happy if he wins some stages in PN and the Tour, so I would cash out.
But don't be mad at me if WvA is in a generous day ;-)

ps: WvA rode just a bit harder on the Kemmel to stop any discussions, when he will be first over the line, that Laporte had any chance if they battled it out.

Jeez ... going in the breakaway from the peloton with two guys 1 minute out in front. It's not the way to chase them down. So toxic for the collaboration. As I see it, this kind of miserable chasing has been more common in recent years.
Yup. I’m not sure what is worse with chasing groups: when guys in the chasing are constantly flicking elbows, and slowing noticeably when they get to the front, gesturing, etc . . . Or like they are today - looking like they’re riding hard but have surrendered another minute to the two leaders in the last ten Km?

Reactions: Danskebjerge
I understand people questioning QS tactics and / or team selection but let's be real: they're not strong enough to keep this race in check (or any other big cobble race for that matter) no matter what they do. They're a third tier team for cobbles now.

People just expect more because of their history, and PatLef arrogance obviously.
But yes I agree. They might even come 3rd with Merlier, who seems to be the only QS guy who's actually good in Flanders lately.