• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem: October 11th, 2020

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Whats the wind forecast like. That is the key factor changing it from a hard but not enormously selective final to a brutal every man or woman battling to hang on to the wheel in front final.
Nothing outrageous like in 2015, but the wind will be hard enough to play a role, both in the first part of the race (sideways) and on the way to Wevelgem (3 quarters from the back and tailwind for the last part). It will either be a bit damp / rainy, but if there is a dry spell for e.g. some hours, roads dry quickly with the wind, except on the smaller roads in the berg zone, and the plug streets ofcourse!

In other words: it will be great.

Why not just look the calendar up on PCS?

The problem is remembering, and maybe feeling it, not finding info. Things are losing their regularity. Sports calendars were always subconsciously connected to what I do at certain points of the year, and now both sides are upside down.
And I'm not complaining, in fact I can't believe my luck to still have these intense months of racing this year.

The problem is remembering, and maybe feeling it, not finding info. Things are losing their regularity. Sports calendars were always subconsciously connected to what I do at certain points of the year, and now both sides are upside down.
And I'm not complaining, in fact I can't believe my luck to still have these intense months of racing this year.

I think I've basically reached the point where, if someone was to tell me that the Grand Depart for the 2025 TdF was tomorrow, my reaction would probably be like; "Oh... okay. Seems reasonable."

Depending on the scenario - group sprint, echelon race or individual actions - there are many possible winners. A lot will depend on the weather, but "chance of showers" and "changeable" doesn't say very much.

****Van Aert, Van der Poel
***Bennett, Kristoff, Pedersen
**Colbrelli, Ewan, Ackermann
*Asgreen, Stybar, Trentin, Bettiol, Politt, Naesen, Vanmarcke, Benoot

Women:
****Deignan
***Lippert, Bastianelli, Brown
**D'hoore, Kopecky, Mackaij, Wild
*Rivera, Longo-Borghini, García, Wiebes

Wind is a fairly strong NW, but a W or SW would have been just that little bit better for the echelons. Still plenty of opportunities to split the race.
This race is going to be good anyway: with the cancellation of PR, the classics riders now have only two races to show themselves.

I hope many will start with a do-or-die attitude.

Depending on the scenario - group sprint, echelon race or individual actions - there are many possible winners. A lot will depend on the weather, but "chance of showers" and "changeable" doesn't say very much.

Women:
****Deignan
***Lippert, Bastianelli, Brown
**D'hoore, Kopecky, Mackaij, Wild
*Rivera, Longo-Borghini, García, Wiebes

That’s a bit optimistic about Bennett and Ewan, I suspect. First races back after the Tour, not much cobbled pedigree... It would have to be an extraordinarily boring edition for either to feature!

Ewan is doubtful indeed, but Bennett has the team to keep him in front or bring him back. It depends on the strategy of DSt.

They usually have an aggressive strategy in GW. And now that they have been robbed of the most important cobbled classic I doubt they will just ride train here. He does have both the Scheldeprijs and the De Panne race (if he isn't going to the Vuelta) for that.

Reactions: Pantani_lives

I'm missing Küng and Kwiatkowski on your list.