• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Benotti69 said:
Punkan said:
G has been climbing well this year, shouldn't be that much of a surprise that he could do what he did today. In Paris-Nice he was second behind Porte on stage 4 with a MTF, beating guys like TJVG, Kwia (in form), Costa, Fuglsang, Bardet, Aru. In TDS he also climbed well.

Why was he not climbing well earlier in his career? Former Grupetto fodder.

Didn't want the big money contract till Sky came along and transformed him at 30? So was lazy and didn't train or eat the proper foods, too much nutella....

Special pillows, don't forget the special ******** pillows...

:D and washing hands.......

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I knew when I saw Thomas ride for Barloworld, I knew he was a future mountain goat. People of Italy, Spain etc if you want to be good at climbing mountains get your guys to do the team pursuit for a few years then, BOOOOOOM.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Think we might get ahead of ourselves here. G hasn't proven that he can hang with best on a real mountain stage with several hard climbs. To me it isn't totally unexpected that G could do something like this on one climb. He is a fairly skinny rider with a great engine. Compare his performance with Gallopin, another rider that weighs around 70 kilos: G beat Gallopin with 21 seconds today. If G is 5th on a stage like stage 12, I start raising some eyebrows.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Punkan said:
Think we might get ahead of ourselves here. G hasn't proven that he can hang with best on a real mountain stage with several hard climbs. To me it isn't totally unexpected that G could do something like this on one climb. He is a fairly skinny rider with a great engine. Compare his performance with Gallopin, another rider that weighs around 70 kilos: G beat Gallopin with 21 seconds today. If G is 5th on a stage like stage 12, I start raising some eyebrows.

I take it you're a fan, calling him G?

Thomas today said he could gone much better but was told to stay behind Piti. So 21 secs on Gallopin could have been nearly a minute if he was allowed to go.

JackRabbitSlims said:
from a classics rider & contender

to a gt rider and contender

in one year

podium for g. thomas in 2016
What do you mean, "from-to"? He does it all in the same year: competing in GC and cobbled classics alike, 5° or 35°C, 500 m long climbs or 15000 m long climbs, two races a week or one each day. No problem.

Jagartrott said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

in one year

What do you mean, "from-to"? He does it all in the same year: competing in GC and cobbled classics alike, 5° or 35°C, 500 m long climbs or 15000 m long climbs, two races a week or one each day. No problem.

excuse me

i agree

I think we are saying

the exact same thing

sorry for the confusion

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

Jagartrott said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

in one year

LOL :D :D

cyclingnews clinic really is the only place to enjoy the TdF.

Re:

Punkan said:
Rettenbachferner glacier seems like a real mountain stage to me and he was hanging with the best (5th place). In today's stage that destroyed real climbers, he rolled on by them to 6th place. Again, he was with the best. This was 6 weeks after contending for the biggest spring classics. Not normal, my eyebrows are raised...

Edit: Gallopin could be the next one with a page in the clinic, so that proves nothing.. :D

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
why "british" in thread title?
maybe all this noise is because the natural order is demolished? it happens, get over it.
empires rise and die, nothing is eternal

Hard to see how the ride today is not anything but has highly suspicious as one can get, especially when it is combined with what Froome and Porte did as well. Thomas has been able to climb a bit for a while but this year he is a real climber not someone who can put in a huge effort to get over a mountain with in a group. Still he might not do as well on stages to follow.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Thomas was no autobus fodder, but he's a guy who should have no business beyond the lower end of the top 20 or 25, tops.

2007 TdF 140th
2008 Gir 118th
2010 TdF 67th
2011 TdF 31st
2012 Gir 80th
2013 TdF 140th
2014 TdF 22nd.

Dont see it. His GTs are hardly a progression..........

I think his 31st in 2011 is a good hint of his ability when giving it a serious go, at a time when I think he wasn't part of the Teide Troop.

This is all pretty irrelevant, though. We're debating whether he suddenly got x3 or x5 times better this year.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
I think his 31st in 2011 is a good hint of his ability when giving it a serious go, at a time when I think he wasn't part of the Teide Troop.

This is all pretty irrelevant, though. We're debating whether he suddenly got x3 or x5 times better this year.

Yeah, only podium contenders are serious about the GTs......... :rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
hrotha said:

Yeah, only podium contenders are serious about the GTs......... :rolleyes:
LOL. Benotti being Benotti. I'm sure Porte is really worried about his GC place. No way BMC is going to pay him even 6 figures now that he's way back at 79th. Me thinks he screwed up his career.

Anyway it looks like Thomas found the not-so-secret loophole Astana had uncorked in the Giro. Riding at the front against the wind on hot days keeps you cool. It's the ultimate marginal gain, I tell ya.

TRENDING THREADS