• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Couldn’t watch the stage today and when I’d heard that Thomas had fallen in the neutral zone I thought ‘here we go again’.

Having watched the video of the crash, there is very little that could have been done. He went down hard and he’s lucky he’s not got broken bones, rotten luck and I guess it might be time to focus on 2021 and making sure he is in form at the correct time.

I'm the same - I thought you can't keep having bad luck because of crashes, there is a problem. However, in this case, it actually was bad luck.

The UCI/teams/riders are all about safety, how about insisting on bottle cages that actually do their job?

I'm the same - I thought you can't keep having bad luck because of crashes, there is a problem. However, in this case, it actually was bad luck.

The UCI/teams/riders are all about safety, how about insisting on bottle cages that actually do their job?
If you make it hard for the bottle to come out then we will probably just end up in crashes where riders are fooling around with awkward cages

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
Given Froome's current performance levels, and the fact he is leaving, I would let Thomas lead the Vuelta charge if he is fully recovered after this accident.
At least a chance to salvage a terrible season

I don't see the bidon in this low-res image
thomas_obbok-kDBD-U32101762490863nBC-255x143@Corriere-Web-Nazionale.jpg

From corriere.it

Pretty *** news for the race and his season. However I dont think he's commited enough to the Giro ;); didnt he ride on through the tour one year with a similar small fracture? Could have been his pelvis again.

Bad luck again for sure. But again being the operative word! You contrast Thomas' career with Froome for example, with the exeption of 2 i believe, he's either won or podiumed every GT he's ever entered as leader, and a couple he didn't.
I think there's a reason multiple GT winners are so rare...surely it cant all be down to luck...

Reactions: JosefK
Was looking back at his early career and he did manage to pull some remarkable results in the cobbled classics. Why did he ditch those all together? Just to ride for Froome? I do understand that GT races are more suitable for him because of his track background and TT skills.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Was looking back at his early career and he did manage to pull some remarkable results in the cobbled classics. Why did he ditch those all together? Just to ride for Froome? I do understand that GT races are more suitable for him because of his track background and TT skills.

He was 4th at the 2015 TDF with just two stages left and in 2016 he skipped most of the classics so I suspect he and Team Sky began to believe he could compete for GC at grand tours so he changed his focus.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nice display today. I'm surprised to see him climbing so well after yesterday's disappointment. It would be quite the curveball if he were to win the Tour again.

Thomas winning the Tour, somewhat as a result of Kuss failing to support Roglic sufficiently on a pivotal mountain stage, would be a golden moment for the forum; for none other than the inevitable LS rant.

TRENDING THREADS