• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another great day for members of the pursuiters union,
with SuperG and Kung finishing one and two. Possibly
even better than the day last month when Dennis and
Kung placed 1-2 in the Tour de Suisse prologue while
Kennaugh and Swift did the same in the Criterium du
Dauphine's Alpe d'Huez road stage. :)

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Great ride. Now he just needs to test himself against Froome uphill. If he can follow, he should ask Dave for permission to duel Froome.

If Froome loses a little time somewhere in the next few days, then we might see a repeat of 2012 :D

Though I seriously hope that someone else can provide a little more competition than Nibali did then....

Re: Re:

yaco said:
durtyfat7 said:
yaco said:
I don't see why Thomas can't rest up and be the second leader at the Vuelta - Yes Froome will ride, usually does well, but at the same time, you need to give other riders an opportunity - Unsure how Sky develop riders is Froome monopolises two GT's each year.
I think Landa and Froome are going to be the leaders at the Vuelta, considering Thomas will go to the TDF. Of course, it depends if Landa will get a chance to redeem himself( for a new contract), even though he was only unlucky this year.

Landa has shown nothing to indicate he is a team leader for any race - He may be best served moving to the new Spanish Basque PCT team in 2018 - Will have a suitable calendar and the Vuelta.

What? He has a GT podium, 3 Giro stage wins, Vuelta stage win and so on yet he should be switching to a PCT team? I can see him leaving Sky but he's a WT class climber who warrants leadership in a GT.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
durtyfat7 said:
yaco said:
I don't see why Thomas can't rest up and be the second leader at the Vuelta - Yes Froome will ride, usually does well, but at the same time, you need to give other riders an opportunity - Unsure how Sky develop riders is Froome monopolises two GT's each year.
I think Landa and Froome are going to be the leaders at the Vuelta, considering Thomas will go to the TDF. Of course, it depends if Landa will get a chance to redeem himself( for a new contract), even though he was only unlucky this year.

Landa has shown nothing to indicate he is a team leader for any race - He may be best served moving to the new Spanish Basque PCT team in 2018 - Will have a suitable calendar and the Vuelta.

What? He has a GT podium, 3 Giro stage wins, Vuelta stage win and so on yet he should be switching to a PCT team? I can see him leaving Sky but he's a WT class climber who warrants leadership in a GT.

I am talking about the alleged new Spanish PCT team who will undoubtedly be in the Vuelta. His third in the Giro was not as a team leader. He doesn't have the mentality to be a leader at a GT.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
durtyfat7 said:
yaco said:

I am talking about the alleged new Spanish PCT team who will undoubtedly be in the Vuelta. His third in the Giro was not as a team leader. He doesn't have the mentality to be a leader at a GT.
Can't blame Landa for gastro
Can't blame him for Kelderman's bike handling deficiency either

Re:

Robert5091 said:
So G is one chest infection or crash, away from taking the yellow jersey all the way to Paris?

Since they've only gone up a couple of cat. 3 and cat. 4 climbs and there are 3000km left. The answer is a clear resounding NO. He's clearly in good form and Wednesday's stage will probably not be a bridge too far, but Sunday's is a different matter.

King Boonen said:
del1962 said:
Robert5091 said:
So G is one chest infection or crash, away from taking the yellow jersey all the way to Paris?

G has already said he is carrying more weight than at the Giro, so no.

Froome isn't that heavy though... :D

Lol..
But it does seem that Froome has given him enough independence.
Even tomorrow, I'll be very surprised if Geraint hits the front. He'll either attack or just sit in the bunch

So Gee's said he's prepared to go from Sky, but if Froome's future's in doubt, he's prepared to take over the Team leader's role at the TdF and ... stick around maybe, depending on what happens to the Dawg? Gee could play this out for a personal win whatever happens - he just needs to wait and play the interested parties off against each other.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
So Gee's said he's prepared to go from Sky, but if Froome's future's in doubt, he's prepared to take over the Team leader's role at the TdF and ... stick around maybe, depending on what happens to the Dawg? Gee could play this out for a personal win whatever happens - he just needs to wait and play the interested parties off against each other.

If Froome gets banned I think Sky will be lucky to survive so Thomas has to put in a good performance and look for a team at the end of the season or do what others have done before and buy out his contract if he is still under contract.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44653639
His contract expires at the end of 2018 and he's previously said he hoped to have his future resolved before the Tour begins.

"It's close but nothing is official yet so I don't want to jinx it by saying it's done and dusted," he said.

"I'm pretty confident where I'm going to go, but it needs the Ts crossing and the Is dotted and then I'll be able to tell everyone."

A team with deep pockets - from the Gulf maybe or Russia?

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44653639
His contract expires at the end of 2018 and he's previously said he hoped to have his future resolved before the Tour begins.

"It's close but nothing is official yet so I don't want to jinx it by saying it's done and dusted," he said.

"I'm pretty confident where I'm going to go, but it needs the Ts crossing and the Is dotted and then I'll be able to tell everyone."

A team with deep pockets - from the Gulf maybe or Russia?

Although it hints at leaving Sky I can't see it. happening....my money is on him staying where he is.

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

GuyIncognito said:
It's Thomas. He's spent his entire Sky career saying he's definitely leaving, just to get a pay rise. He's done it every single contract renewal.

If he does finally leave it's because Sky have finally wised up to him.
You present this as if it's a bad thing. Surely it's just unremarkable negotiating tactics, common in many industries, let alone sports...

rlntlssly said:
GuyIncognito said:
It's Thomas. He's spent his entire Sky career saying he's definitely leaving, just to get a pay rise. He's done it every single contract renewal.

If he does finally leave it's because Sky have finally wised up to him.
You present this as if it's a bad thing. Surely it's just unremarkable negotiating tactics, common in many industries, let alone sports...

I don't read GuyIncognito's post as judgemental, good or bad. I read it as, "Don't read too much into G's comments."

TRENDING THREADS