• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
oldcrank said:
I always love it when trackies do well on the road, whether it is
monuments, classics, grand tour podiums or stages. If a track
rider wins on the Alpe tomorrow, and I am not really expecting
that to happen, it won't be the first time. A great rider that has
won a silver in the points race in the world championships and
has ridden the Team Pursuit for his nation at the Euros, World
Cup and Olys also has two Tour stage wins on two epic climbs.
That's if you consider Ax 3 Domaines and Alpe d'Huez epic. :)
edit: I almost forgot he also has a madison silver at the worlds.
And our Super-G has a madison silver from the worlds as well,
to go with all his Olympic and world champs team pursuit golds.
:surprised: SuperG joins Christophe Riblon! Another trackie prevails! :)

Re:

roundabout said:
Sky has a problem? Thomas seems like the strongest rider in the race. That's a nice problem to have. After today he should ride his own race without looking at Froome.

I don't think is that easy.Thomas looks stronger now but if they make a mistake they might end like in 2011.I think they need to bring Froome closer in the GC somehow.Of course Thomas should do his own race.

I hope he can defend this jersey until the finish line in Paris.
If I remember correctly Team Sky was going to decide who is going to be the leader after the Alpe D'Huez, but I don't belive that they are going to solely back G over Froome, which means that they probably decided to decide nothing.

Thomas saying all the right things but i think he is harbouring strong personal ambition. It seems he was meant to do a sharp pull at the front prior to Froome's first attack, but it was very half hearted and Thomas quickly pulled to the side and slowed down (like he was spent). But he kept enough in the tank to win the stage. Interesting times if he can hang in with the group of leaders at the next MTF.

But if Geraint "cracks" will we really ever now that he cracked and wasn't a case of being told to slow down a bit? I don't think we would ever know if that was the case.

DifGdt0X4AEpjPd.jpg:large

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Already a legendary Tour climber. With today's stage win, he has equaled the tally of Contador.

I would argue the two are not in the same class. Contador's best finish on a Tour mountain stage (Cat 2 or higher) when not in a breakaway since his win in 2009 was 6th place. Here G. just won back to back stages against arguably the strongest GC field since 2005.

His rivalry with Froome won't do him any harm. It's all about Froome's legs in the third week. Does the Giro catch up with him or not ? Same goes for Dumoulin. And can Thomas hang tough or is another Yates situation on the way ? So far he's ridden a much steadier race than Yates did in the first half of the Giro..

Well, she's not from Wales like SuperG but Julia Jacklin
hails from down in New South Wales and her 2016 disc
"Don't Let The Kids Win" (no offense to Egan I'm sure)
has a lovely track "Coming Of Age" that G might enjoy:

Yeah now I'm alright, I'm doing fine
But I'll be pushing up that hill until I get what's mine
Yeah now I'm gonna learn this new stage
Didn't see it coming, my coming of age

A nice description of stages 11 and 12 Julia, very nice.
So is this art imitating life, or is it sport imitating art? :)

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
I wouldn't mind seeing G win this race.

However, if he cracks it would surely make for a more interesting third week.

If he cracks he won't make the podium. He can afford to lose some time with such a big lead but if he loses a chunk of time of time on this stage it will probably be repeated on the next stage. Usually when the climbing legs go in the third week it continues. This is probably the most important stage for him as there is more chance of being isolated and losing big time than the next stage. Post rest day some of the top 10 will probably have off days. A good result on this stage will boost his confidence.

oldcrank said:
Well, she's not from Wales like SuperG but Julia Jacklin
hails from down in New South Wales and her 2016 disc
"Don't Let The Kids Win" (no offense to Egan I'm sure)
has a lovely track "Coming Of Age" that G might enjoy:

Yeah now I'm alright, I'm doing fine
But I'll be pushing up that hill until I get what's mine
Yeah now I'm gonna learn this new stage
Didn't see it coming, my coming of age

A nice description of stages 11 and 12 Julia, very nice.
So is this art imitating life, or is it sport imitating art? :)
I wonder if Geraint is still listening to "Don't Let The Kids
Win" and if he has moved on from the 3rd track "Coming
Of Age" to track five called "Motherland" with these lyrics:

But oh I'm good, I think I'm good.
Will I be great, will I be great?

In his Motherland of Wales he's already considered great!

TRENDING THREADS