• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Robert5091 said:
G's comments contradict the "we'll let the road decide" comments from SDB & Sky
After stage 9 & on first rest day -
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eam-sky-jibe-hits-back-stage-10-a8450641.html
Chris Froome insists Team Sky's leadership at the Tour de France will be decided on the road.
Though Sky have reiterated that Froome remains the team leader, Thomas has so far been given licence to race for himself ...
Asked if he had spoken to Froome about it, Thomas added: "We've kind of spoken in general about things. And yeah, he's keen for me to try, if I do have the chance to stay up there. But we're honest with each other."

Honest?! :D

This isn't a contradiction to the Guardian article as I see it. In that, Thomas acknowledges that Froome said that he would attack on a couple of stages, so Thomas knew what would be coming. So yeah, I think he was honest in saying they were honest with each other, even if that meant that they didn't want the other to win - as it should be.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eam-sky-jibe-hits-back-stage-10-a8450641.html
Chris Froome insists Team Sky's leadership at the Tour de France will be decided on the road.
Though Sky have reiterated that Froome remains the team leader, Thomas has so far been given licence to race for himself ...
Asked if he had spoken to Froome about it, Thomas added: "We've kind of spoken in general about things. And yeah, he's keen for me to try, if I do have the chance to stay up there. But we're honest with each other."

Well, if there was a puncture for Thomas in the TTT, the road would have decided.

Re: Re:

janraaskalt said:
Robert5091 said:

Well, if there was a puncture for Thomas in the TTT, the road would have decided.
The road would probably have decided that Dumoulin would win the Tour (especially without his puncture on the Mur de Bretagne stage). Sky still haven't really learned from their previous Wiggins/Froome and Wiggins/Uran blunders

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Even after all this he stills signs for Sky. The money must be really good
Tour de France: Geraint Thomas expected to receive £3.5m-a-year deal
The Times, July 30 2018
so £10m in total for signing that 3 year deal

Even years after the fact, many athletes never realise that some
perceived slights are actually well executed motivational techniques
cleverly employed by coaches, managers, handlers, etc. Nicole Cooke
is one of the more famous examples, maybe SuperG is just the latest. :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
As expected:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/geraint-thomas-targeting-tour-de-france-victory-despite-froome-rivalry/

I don't think Sky will force the issue, seeing as they have Bernal and, also, because G seemingly didn't have to dig deep to win the Tour.
Apparently it will be Bernal and Moscon at the Giro (maybe also Poels?).
Yes, it looked like he was in control and just outsprinting everyone at the end, it wasn't like Froome who always wants to prove how strong he is and always tries to smash everyone when he's feeling good.

They're gonna turn Moscon into a GT winner now?

Bernal I can understand. Poels as a back up leader for a GT makes perfect sense, his prep was in flames this year due to the PN crash.

I might almost worry about them not bringing enough uphill horsepower to support 2 leaders.

Re:

Red Rick said:

Bernal I can understand. Poels as a back up leader for a GT makes perfect sense, his prep was in flames this year due to the PN crash.

I might almost worry about them not bringing enough uphill horsepower to support 2 leaders.

I don't think Moscon is going for GC, stages I think

Re:

Red Rick said:

Italians sure hope so, time is ticking for Nibali and Aru keeps disappointing but it's not yet Moscon time. Bernal on the other hand...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

Italians sure hope so, time is ticking for Nibali and Aru keeps disappointing but it's not yet Moscon time. Bernal on the other hand...
I have hopes for Carboni and Conci, Ciccone can still become a Pozzovivo style rider (same story about Fabbro down the line), but other than that it's not exactly a great time for Italian cycling when it comes to gc prospects, but things are getting better when it comes to rouleurs and with Viviani stepping up Italy has once again a top level sprinter.
Back to Moscon, I think it's mainly about the first half of the Giro and chasing the Maglia Rosa durning those stages, Roubaix is still one of his big goals for the season.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Robert5091 said:
G OBE - hope Mr & Mrs G have a nice day at Bettie's place when he gets the medal.

Accepting an honor or award named after any of the colonial empires is depraved.

"Depraved" is an over dramatic word to use.

But I would agree with you if you suggested a name change. Actually you'd have some surprising bed-fellows, including the otherwise odious Bernard Jenkin, who rightly points out that we don't have an empire anymore, and also quite a few Lord Lieutenants who, as I expect you know, are the monarch's representatives in the counties.

I think the reluctance to change is due to fear of a culture war, and sitting here in Brexit Britain, I would suggest those fears are founded.

The huge irony of course is that it was the British Empire which led to the multi-cultural society that now exists in the UK.

So no. I don't think it is "depraved," of GT to accept an OBE, I just think it is anachronistic.

TRENDING THREADS