• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
??

I'm pretty sure Roglic said he was gonna train more on his TT bike for the 2021 season.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas takes some time in the ITTs. I will be very surprised if he's close in the mountains though.
Whenever GT has been strong in TTs he has generally been strong in mountains. If he is a bit stronger in TT I dont see how we could expect him to be 'a lot' weaker in the mountains. Especially with the team strength difference.

I would say it's up to Thomas this year. If he can deliver the team will work for him and in that case he stands a chance. But if Thomas will struggle then i feel that Ineos could have much issues on this race. Porte is in great shape but i don't know if i would say he is considered to be the best climber. Carapaz on the other hand will need to do two rather OK TTs. And here i have my doubts.

Anyway, as a team Ineos is great, but on individual level i don't feel they have all that much options open. They will for sure try and we are all counting on that.

Reactions: PlanZ and Sandisfan
Now that we see Roglic has gone home, I don't see "why" Ineos should leave G Thomas in the Tour considering his own injuries & his presence in the gruppetto yesterday (which is far below his stature).

If they think he can help Carapaz in the coming two weeks, I just don't see it (because unless he gets substantially better, he's going to get dropped again in every mountain stage early on).

Lance said on his podcast today that Thomas was going to abandon the Tour today and begin preparing for the Olympics ... Ineos (I assume Brailsford) told him no ... told him he can't leave yet.

I believe this is the final year of Thomas's contract. It will be interesting to see if he is with a new team next year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS