• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gerdemann

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
@ Alpe

Libertine, Straßenrennen, I and many others before tried to stay on topic. But the Epo-Lance-Trolls try to hijack every thread and prevent any serious discussion between grown up people... So as long they do that we either fight back or talk deutsch.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow, i go to sleep wake up and you guys wrecked my thread, thanks for trying libertine.

So who should be his chaperone? Someone from the UCI, WADA, tv, someone who has spoken out against doping like Antoine Vayer? Ferrari, so if he pulls it off he can claim Linus could have won with the right treatment.

Still I think the claim is impresive but to make it happen would be a mammoth effort on someone else's behalf, noone will do it. For Lance sure discovery could make a doco, but for Linus...

Actually Morgan Spurlock (supersize me) gets my vote. He can make fat people interesting, surely he could make someone not taking drugs interesting.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
polish, if armstrong pretended not to know who gerdemann was, it was not silly, it was arrogant and stupid. and on your part, it was not silly - it was plain stupid to bring it up cause the biggest fraud in our sport is not the biggest authority for non american fans.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
python said:
polish, if armstrong pretended not to know who gerdemann was, it was not silly, it was arrogant and stupid. and on your part, it was not silly - it was plain stupid to bring it up cause the biggest fraud in our sport is not the biggest authority for non american fans.

lighten up he was making a joke. i found it kinda amusing myself.

the implication being that linus isn't a real contender and the idea would carry more weight if say contador or schlecklet was to do it instead
the implication of the LA quote being lance thought of linus and a nobody when he made the original quote

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
there is nothing to lighten up about. armstrong has not delivered anything since his 'return' and his implications atm were arrogant because gerdemann called him implicitly a doper, which most observant fans know is a fact. so texas trying to diminish a rider who dared to criticize him is nothing new and should be called forit it was -- arrogant.

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
Libertine Seguros said:
Gerdemann has some viable motives for doing this, but the fact that he's willing to do so implies that he is at least outwardly a clean cyclist. I just named some of the motives - the fact that he'd been implied in something even without evidence means that some people will always raise questions. If he goes top 20 at the Tour as a rider who can viably still develop and does it in these circumstances, then those questions can hopefully be quashed. It would then give German sponsors potentially put off by the expectance of positive tests after the last few years reason to be interested in cycling again, with the knowledge that one of Germany's most recognised and talented cyclists is clean. With races disappearing left, right and centre in that part of Europe (RIP Hessen Rundfahrt, RIP Sachsentour, RIP Deutschlandtour, and more) anything that provides positive (no pun intended) feedback for cycling in the region should be applauded.

This post is I think the reason why Linus has said he will do this, in order to premote the idea again, that German cycling can be done without doping and still provide good results. Personally I would say a top 20 finish is well within reach for Gerdemann as long as he doesnt burn out. I hope he is realistic enough to realise that he wont ever win the tour, or not at the moment anyhow. I hope he does find someone to sponser this "event" but i do agree with Foxxy that the main tv stations in germany that would do this are more anti cycling than trying to prove or help improve the image of cycling within Germany, after all a Donkey doesnt twice fall over the same stone!
For a major sponsor... not sure maybe a sports insitution or a scientist... perhaps that Danish guy (forget his name)who did the paper on blood doping,ie hemocratt does not go up/stay level for 3 weeks while racing, forget his name at the moment.. he would proberly like Linus´ blood parameters to add credence to his studies.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
python said:
there is nothing to lighten up about. armstrong has not delivered anything since his 'return' and his implications atm were arrogant because gerdemann called him implicitly a doper, which most observant fans know is a fact. so texas trying to diminish a rider who dared to criticize him is nothing new and should be called forit it was -- arrogant.

Well I agree about the contributions of armstrong but why all the anger?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
heh i think we saw that one liner is a completely different way.

you took it to heart as you probably still rankled from when lance said it.
i looked at it in context of the current thread not the past usage

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The story here at CN said that he had friends studying Sport at University who were told by a professor that "no cyclist can ride the Tour de France without doping". That obviously includes every domestique and ninth man on every team. How many people might that local professor have said that to over the years, how many would have repeated it, and how many would assume that it was at least partially true, without question? If he thought that even his friends doubted him, as well as other locals, I could see him wanting to make a grand gesture.

Gerdeman finished 24th last year, ahead of Cadel Evans, Pellizotti (KOM), Luis Leon Sanchez, and Menchov, so I think he can fairly represent a lot of the peloton. He's also a TdF stage winner and has worn the maillot jaune.

For people thinking he's a publicity hound, he told his plan to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, for God's sake. How many of their interviews have you seen picked up by International media over the years? He's asking a sports school or research institute to help out. The data could be used in a lot of ways in a school or clinical setting.

I applaud his willingness to do this. If someone takes him up on the offer, and especially if they would post everything online, I think it would be great for the sport.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
This post is I think the reason why Linus has said he will do this, in order to premote the idea again, that German cycling can be done without doping and still provide good results. Personally I would say a top 20 finish is well within reach for Gerdemann as long as he doesnt burn out. I hope he is realistic enough to realise that he wont ever win the tour, or not at the moment anyhow. I hope he does find someone to sponser this "event" but i do agree with Foxxy that the main tv stations in germany that would do this are more anti cycling than trying to prove or help improve the image of cycling within Germany, after all a Donkey doesnt twice fall over the same stone!
For a major sponsor... not sure maybe a sports insitution or a scientist... perhaps that Danish guy (forget his name)who did the paper on blood doping,ie hemocratt does not go up/stay level for 3 weeks while racing, forget his name at the moment.. he would proberly like Linus´ blood parameters to add credence to his studies.

Either he is as tough as Mottet and Bassons (withstanding doping) or many people will be surprised when he indeed wins the TdF. Well, future will tell us.

dickwrench

BANNED
May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this linus guy whatever. All I know is Lance said he didn't know who he was when he was talking smack about him when he was coming back. That says all anybody needs to know about how much press this stunt deserves. Linus who? Anybody named after that dirty dude on Peanuts comics has no credibility when it comes to clean cycling.

dickwrench

BANNED
May 13, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
right, only cyclists starting with "Travis" have the right.

What do you mean? Cyclist starts with a "c". :confused:

I have been lurking here for a long time and everybody is convince the best pro beat the tests. What makes anybody think this is any different? All racers could say the same as this dork and what difference would it make.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dickwrench said:
Yeah, this linus guy whatever. All I know is Lance said he didn't know who he was when he was talking smack about him when he was coming back. That says all anybody needs to know about how much press this stunt deserves. Linus who? Anybody named after that dirty dude on Peanuts comics has no credibility when it comes to clean cycling.
You're right - this 'stunt' doesn't deserve much coverage ....... if only Linus had thought of bringing Don Catlin along for the foto op, then it would deserve coverage...

dickwrench

BANNED
May 13, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You're right - this 'stunt' doesn't deserve much coverage ....... if only Linus had thought of bringing Don Catlin along for the foto op, then it would deserve coverage...

Why should Lance have more test than other racer? He didn't think it through when he said he would use this guy. Like I'm gonna go to work tomorrow and ask to be drug tested more than the hungover dude in the next office. :rolleyes: Lance has never failed a test so why would he do this. Let's get Mother Theresa and Ghandi to pis in a cup every morning.

Beside this guy has no credibility versus what was available. When Damgard said he would test Astana then that is the best anyway. Look how many Saxo riders failed the test. Zero. Catlin isn't that good or he hasn't proven he is that good to prove a clean team.

dickwrench said:
Why should Lance have more test than other racer? He didn't think it through when he said he would use this guy. Like I'm gonna go to work tomorrow and ask to be drug tested more than the hungover dude in the next office. :rolleyes: Lance has never failed a test so why would he do this. Let's get Mother Theresa and Ghandi to pis in a cup every morning.

Beside this guy has no credibility versus what was available. When Damgard said he would test Astana then that is the best anyway. Look how many Saxo riders failed the test. Zero. Catlin isn't that good or he hasn't proven he is that good to prove a clean team.

Funny you should mention Mother Theresa.
There was a fair bit of controversy around her - not quite what she was cracked up to be.

TRENDING THREADS