• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

German Cyclist Stefan Schumacher Admits Years of Doping

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RHRH19861986 said:
Yeah, you guys are right, ofc being Catholic doesn´t make you a good or better person. There are as many Cathloic a..holes as non Catholic a..holes.

But being countryman of Russ, only three years younger and also having been student and having made myself an impression of him via media, one gets a feeling about a person. He seemed (still seems) a good and nice guy, someone you´d like to have as your neighbour. So this story of today in Schumi´s trial really left me speechless. Don´t trust anyone, one could say.

It only further proves that we should, by default, trust that the pro peloton is doping. There is no compelling evidence to the contrary. Not even religion has thus far saved them.

Dave.

RHRH19861986 said:
He seemed (still seems) a good and nice guy, someone you´d like to have as your neighbour.

Excluding Armstrong, I wouldn't mind ex- or current dopers as my neighbour. What I try to say is: doping does not correlate with sociopathic behaviour, personal frailty, contempt for others or even lack of morality. And I don't get this reduction of the doping issue to individual choices. It is a structural problem.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
It only further proves that we should, by default, trust that the pro peloton is doping. There is no compelling evidence to the contrary. Not even religion has thus far saved them.

Dave.

Exactly. Just like Prentice Steffen said, the good guys dope and the bad guys dope, the Hamiltons and the Armstrongs.

This won´t change, this won´t get less, it gets more professional and sophisticated.

It´s not about 1999 to 2005, it´s about 2013, 2015, 2020 and so on.

I suppose in the WorldTour, there are no more than maybe 10 clean riders. It´s so widespread that you have to consider that those who remain clean are somehow insane or have some kind of brain damage or error. :eek:

RHRH19861986 said:
Exactly. Just like Prentice Steffen said, the good guys dope and the bad guys dope, the Hamiltons and the Armstrongs.

This won´t change, this won´t get less, it gets more professional and sophisticated.

It´s not about 1999 to 2005, it´s about 2013, 2015, 2020 and so on.

I suppose in the WorldTour, there are no more than maybe 10 clean riders. It´s so widespread that you have to consider that those who remain clean are somehow insane or have some kind of brain damage or error. :eek:

Good point. My first thought on your 10 rider statement was: 'are they sane or just extremely disliked'.

But, you are way ahead of me.

Dave.

el chava said:
Excluding Armstrong, I wouldn't mind ex- or current dopers as my neighbour. What I try to say is: doping does not correlate with sociopathic behaviour, personal frailty, contempt for others or even lack of morality. And I don't get this reduction of the doping issue to individual choices. It is a structural problem.

I can agree with your statement, but only to a point. The morality line is crossed when any person induces or pressures another person to dope.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
RHRH19861986 said:
Edit.: To explain my reaction, Russ finished his cycling career end 2010 at Milram, aged 27, never was really successful, always a domestique, and for sure one of the "weakest 100" ProTour riders each year. He was and is a very Christian and Catholic guy, humble and down to earth, intelligent (became a fulltime student after cycling, for engineering).

I am guessing this is from a .de domain - do you mind posting a link?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Fortunately, we are still safely well under the 1% occurence rate that Mr. McQuaid assured us was the maximum limit.

Even more fortunately, it isn't like Schumacher was from one of those non-doping countries Mr. McQuaid told us about like Germany or Denmark, or anything.

Dave.
I think you're being unfair, all that stopped in 2006 or thereabouts.... (you know give or take a decade) well before Pat's tenure, when that bloke he works for was in the job. Cycling Ireland believe that drivel and so should you.

Anyway Pat surely has his geneologists on the job finding shifty Latin heritage in Schumacher's ancestry.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Slept a night over this Russ/IGF1 thing, and normally, you´d expect to dream stuff like this, but it´s true.

You notice I´m not surprised about the name of Zaugg at all, not only due to his Lombardia win.

I however refuse to lower my supposed number of clean WT riders per year, which is, as mentioned, 10, at the maximum.

German broad public and also average cycling fans lost faith when Zabel confessed, and still had their hopes in "last man standing" Voigt, whom I considered a doper from early on.

Days like yesterday, when you get to know a man like Russ seems to have been on IGF1, are the days which make me personally much more sad. It won´t prevent me from loving cycling and pro cycling, because if you really love it, this won´t change for the rest of your life, and nothing in the world will change this; it, however, shows that pro cycling really is a sport where taking powerful pharmacy is equal to training, eating properly and sleeping, and that only pro Bodybuilding´s doping rate might be higher, being 100%, compared to 98-99% in cycling.

rata de sentina said:
I think you're being unfair, all that stopped in 2006 or thereabouts.... (you know give or take a decade) well before Pat's tenure, when that bloke he works for was in the job. Cycling Ireland believe that drivel and so should you.

Anyway Pat surely has his geneologists on the job finding shifty Latin heritage in Schumacher's ancestry.

Ok, I'll smarten up.

Sure hope Phat finds the missing link.

Dave.

Well Russ was the leader of il giro the same year for a few days. He kust got tricked by the Italians in favour of Visconti.

Wha about Sebastian Lang? He always seemed to me like beeing the biggest hypocrite within cycling. Even bigger than Holczer, Voigt & co. Would be lovely to see him gettin' popped.

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
What are you all taking about?

RHRH19861986 said:

Everybody who can properly read understands, that he just discovered the shots by surprise, nothing mentions him using them.

Rössner las daraus vor, demnach habe der Zeuge den Teamarzt Peruzzi bei der Baskenland-Rundfahrt 2008 dabei beobachtet, wie er "diverse Spritzen, eingepackt in Alufolie", im Kühlschrank des Teambusses verstaut habe. Schumacher berichtet, es habe sich um das Hormon IGF-1 gehandelt, und wie der Zeuge hätten auch die Gerolsteiner-Fahrer Oliver Zaugg (Schweiz, jetzt beim Riis-Team Saxo) und Matthias Russ (Reutlingen) die Spritzen "gesehen".

Besides, did you ever look at the results of the Vuelta Pays Basque 2008? Maybe you should do, would help you all to get the right focus on this talking.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Indianapolis2014 said:
Everybody who can properly read understands, that he just discovered the shots by surprise, nothing mentions him using them.

Rössner las daraus vor, demnach habe der Zeuge den Teamarzt Peruzzi bei der Baskenland-Rundfahrt 2008 dabei beobachtet, wie er "diverse Spritzen, eingepackt in Alufolie", im Kühlschrank des Teambusses verstaut habe. Schumacher berichtet, es habe sich um das Hormon IGF-1 gehandelt, und wie der Zeuge hätten auch die Gerolsteiner-Fahrer Oliver Zaugg (Schweiz, jetzt beim Riis-Team Saxo) und Matthias Russ (Reutlingen) die Spritzen "gesehen".

Besides, did you ever look at the results of the Vuelta Pays Basque 2008? Maybe you should do, would help you all to get the right focus on this talking.

The article was put online on Thursday, 18/04, and last edited yesterday, on 19/04.

I wasn´t drunk on Thursday, and could swear it wrote about use by Zaugg and Russ on Thursday.

Dazed and Confused said:

Holczer joined the Katusha team in 2011, acting as general manger, but lost that position last October. Former US Postal Service rider Viatcheslav Ekimov took over the role. Holczer now works as a consultant with the team.

Now works as a consultant.

Good work! :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Good ruling.
Sore grapes for Rasmussen, who i think had deserved a similar ruling in his case against Rabo.
Perhaps Rasmussen should have lawyered up differently?

thehog said:
Now works as a consultant.
Wonder how many of the recently fired Sky employees remain active in a 'consulting' role.

sniper said:
Good ruling.
Sore grapes for Rasmussen, who i think had deserved a similar ruling in his case against Rabo.
Perhaps Rasmussen should have lawyered up differently?

Wonder how many of the recently fired Sky employees remain active in a 'consulting' role.

OT but I think most are employed by BMC, Saxo and Yates with a new continental team. The other one is being investigated by the Belgium authorities, you should get on to the Belgium Authoriies to find out how its going.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm shocked also. I believed in Rasmussen. I believed in Stefan.

I'm so despondent.

Thankfully cycling has turned a corner. It's changed.

It's much cleaner now.

Speeds are down 10%.

And when they are the same or faster, we "have to take the wind and stage length into consideration". Thank heavens cycling, athletics and sport in general has moved on. I love this new Cleantopia.

el chava said:

Your thesis is simply unreasonable. Doping is cheating, stop, end of story. It is clearly a frailty of humanity and a moral failing. Trying to rationalize it is abusrd.

TRENDING THREADS