• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
He probably got the best result he could've hope for. well done at maximizing his returns for once.
Hopefully he can sustain this for a few years.

one happy lad will be Gesink (and his LottoJumbo team)
a great come back, 6th behind the BIG names
very important for the team and him. he gained a lot of confidence, or better, RE-gained confidence
Merijn Zeeman will be over the moon
kudos Robert and whole team

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
6th after 5 GT winners.

I never expected this from the nr 16 on the Rettenbachferner and nr 8 of Mt Baldy. Gesink is back in 2010 form.

Actually that was why it was even more a surprise. If he had showed signs of his former glory in Cali or Suisse we maybe could've seen it coming, but it really came out of nowhere as well.

Really happy for him. It's still not neo pro Gesink that could drop others, but he's very consistent.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
This was a deserved 6th place. Glad to see him back in form. I'm not sure he's the same rider yet he was before the end of 2010. Back then there seemed to be room to improve. But can he now? Maybe it does him injustice to keep comparing him to those years.

Is he riding San Sebastian? I hope so. I remember he was very strong there in 2010 after a strong Tour. After that he should take some rest and perhaps shine in Canada. His win in Montreal is one of the more exciting wins I've seen.

edit: he's not :(

Re:

matter said:
This was a deserved 6th place. Glad to see him back in form. I'm not sure he's the same rider yet he was before the end of 2010. Back then there seemed to be room to improve. But can he now? Maybe it does him injustice to keep comparing him to those years.

Is he riding San Sebastian? I hope so. I remember he was very strong there in 2010 after a strong Tour. After that he should take some rest and perhaps shine in Canada. His win in Montreal is one of the more exciting wins I've seen.

edit: he's not :(
According to PCS he will ride poland and canadian races+lombardia.

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dekker Tifosi.

I've been looking closely at Gesink's palmares today,what do you think will be both his own and his team's expectations over the next three years?

Well he seems to realise this is probably his best and he won't improve much anymore. He is thinking of going for stage wins in the Tour next year. He is proud of his 6th place behind the 5 GT champions ahead of him but also realized that he cannot achieve that level and can only hope that a few of them fall away or target other races if he ever wants to podium. So he is thinking about dropping gc and hunting mountain stage wins or other grand tours. But first, rest and targetting the remainder of the races this year

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Now look at that, and i was flamed for saying the exact same thing a month ago.

I'm glad he finally realised it, a bit too late but better late than never.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well he seems to realise this is probably his best and he won't improve much anymore. He is thinking of going for stage wins in the Tour next year. He is proud of his 6th place behind the 5 GT champions ahead of him but also realized that he cannot achieve that level and can only hope that a few of them fall away or target other races if he ever wants to podium. So he is thinking about dropping gc and hunting mountain stage wins or other grand tours. But first, rest and targetting the remainder of the races this year

I think it's too early to go stage hunting.He's still in his prime and he should go for GC a few more years.You never know how the other contenders will show up.Maybe he should switch between TDF and Vuelta and not target only TDF.

CK7ZYenW8AEI_Os.jpg

From twittorz

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Immediately after Le Tour i thought exactly this.

What does his CV show,excellent stage racer for GC,Oman winner,TOC winner,2nd in Tirreno after Evans,two nice top 10's at TDF,is he ever likely to win a GT,probably not barring some strange circumstances so far better as he gets towards his absolute peak to target some one day races but especially GT stage wins,i really believe this talented climber can win a Queen stage at TDF or Vuelta,would put a nice sheen on his career IMO.

Go Robert! :)

TRENDING THREADS