• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The Boss

BANNED
May 16, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Freire said once that if he had Gesink's legs, he would have won the Tour already, and that Gesink had tremendous talents, but needed to learn to race smarter. The way Gesink won the Baldy stage showed he's definitely racing smarter. He attacked at the right moment to pass everybody to win the stage, so if he continues to race (and TT) the way his did at TOC, who knows?

gesink's a great rider but still think he wont win a GT he could podium giro or vuelta but he's in the same age bracket as schleck and nibali who will always be that step above,and then you got contador who is only couple years older but like you said that ITT was superb but i just cant see it personally what makes it worse is he focuses all on the tour schleck is a far superiour climber than gesink and gesink has a better ITT but not by much so unless contador and schleck have an off tour etc hell never win the tour and even the next 2 yrs he wont beat wiggo and evans so when they all retire gesink will probably be best of the rest behind A.S A.C and V.N.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
WORK attitude (off the race). Not in the race :rolleyes: That's something ENTIRELY different. Jesus...

Freire was lazy (in training). But because he had tons and tons of talent it took him a week to get into form.
Yes, so apparently that's the work ethic that works for Freire... change it, and who knows if he can still win San Remo.

The Boss said:
gesink's a great rider but still think he wont win a GT he could podium giro or vuelta but he's in the same age bracket as schleck and nibali who will always be that step above,and then you got contador who is only couple years older but like you said that ITT was superb but i just cant see it personally what makes it worse is he focuses all on the tour schleck is a far superiour climber than gesink and gesink has a better ITT but not by much so unless contador and schleck have an off tour etc hell never win the tour and even the next 2 yrs he wont beat wiggo and evans so when they all retire gesink will probably be best of the rest behind A.S A.C and V.N.
Andy Schleck is indeed a step above Gesink, and always will be. Nibali is not. Gesink got 5th in the Tour at age 24, Nibali got 7th at that age.

The Boss said:

Nibali is not in the same category as Schleck and I've yet to see him do better than Gesink in the Tour :)

I would say Gesinks' mountain support is very strong. Mollema, Kruisjwijk, LLS, LTD, Garate and quite a few others. Slagter and Kelderman will be good in the future as well ( they were impressive at Giro/ TOC ). Nibali does have Caruso, Capecchi, SS and Basso ( riding the TDF apparently- to support Nibali ) but most of them will be tired after doing the Giro.

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I like the fact Cav shows emotion as he crosses the line. What's wrong with being upset about losing? If he pretended he didn't care then he'd be criticized for that.

If anything maybe Cav has done too much of this in recent days....

AtmZLHiCQAAoZZX.png:large

mb2612 said:
You've had three years of this argument, and in a couple of months time there will be some actual evidence, one way or another.
This is something there is actual evidence for, just look at their respective Tour performances at about the same age. Nibali has progressed since then, but in the Giro last year you could see that he's still nowhere near Contador. To count him in the same bracket as Schleck, who is very close to Contador on the climbs, is ridiculous IMO.

It reminds me of what people said after Basso won the Giro, and we've seen last year how close he was in the Tour...

greenedge said:
I would say Gesinks' mountain support is very strong. Mollema, Kruisjwijk, LLS, LTD, Garate and quite a few others. Slagter and Kelderman will be good in the future as well ( they were impressive at Giro/ TOC ). Nibali does have Caruso, Capecchi, SS and Basso ( riding the TDF apparently- to support Nibali ) but most of them will be tired after doing the Giro.

The problem is that I doubt Mollema will be supporting Gesink, unless he allready lost a lot time. Else they will both have a free role in the TdF. I wonder what that means for Kruijswijk. They can't all be team leaders though :)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
The problem is that I doubt Mollema will be supporting Gesink, unless he allready lost a lot time. Else they will both have a free role in the TdF. I wonder what that means for Kruijswijk. They can't all be team leaders though :)

gesink should be happy to have a free role. he hasn't finish a gt without a serious crash since 2007?2008? I forgot. it was the vuelta

theyoungest said:
No, I'm not interested in starting a discussion on something that was clearly only tangential to my argument, which seems to be your specialty.

You're the first one to talk about excuses when your favorite riders don't perform, to the point of absurdity. The way you used Basso as an example only exposes you for the hypocrite that you are. When confronted with that you give me this cop-out. Typical.

Dude, what's your problem? Basso indeed didn't have an ideal preparation, but I don't think he could have done much better otherwise. They're not relegating him to the Giro again for nothing. Basso is actually one of my favourite riders, so according to you I should be making excuses ;)

And once again, this wasn't really what the discussion was about...

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Actually, he fractured his arm after crashing in the second stage of the Tour that year right before the cobbled stage where it really must have hurt.

Not sure if we can call that a serious crash, as he finished 5th in Paris?