• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big fan of Gesink! Was really happy to see him win ToC. Love to see him suffer. I also lost my father the same year he did and broke my leg last winter. To see someone come back from that and perform like he is is incredible. Those two events crushed my bike racing aspirations and to see him coming back looking strong and focused is beyond impressive. I would love to see him podium the TdF this year, but once Contador returns he should target one of the other GTs so he can put at least one on his palmares.

I honestly think he should be able to podium in the TDF, if he progresses as he has planned. The form will be better than now obviously, and he is good already as it is. Hopefully his TT position has been improved as well.

Of course, my perception might be distorted by the fact that I appreciate his ability to dig deep and push it to the point of almost fainting. When he lost to Gilbert in Quebec last year, it was really bittersweet, he really gave it all in the end. But all those near misses only make him more likeable I guess.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
This years Vuelta??? That would be good but he is focusing on the TDF and i cannot envisage anyone other than Contador winning there.

of course ac wins there, but I think gesink would have a better shot at overall there then the tour (originally the vueltawas in his plans followed by worlds, not canada. Not sure if this has changed or not). Still I somehow doubt he will really press for overall at a GT this year, the prep will be off from the injury and as I said after the tour it may be a bit much at the vuelta all things considered.

Yeah, Gesink seems to have what it takes to be considered an overall favourite for the Tour, espessially if he can follow (and he should be able to) follow the pure climbers (Schleck mainly) on the climbs and does well in the ITTs, finishing around 30s behind Wiggins. Personally I think Gesink and Evans are now the top-favorites, as they're the only two that seem to have both ITT and climbing skills of the participants.

Von Mises said:
What happened to Theo Eltink, who int his particular test holds Rabobanks record?
He retired, never quite lived up to the "promise" from this test. Of course it also depends on which point in the season he did the test, most riders (like Gesink) do it in early January so they're far from top form.

Currently the list looks like this (not entirely, Kruijswijk's number on the list Gesink posted is higher, apparently taken on a different location)

c8dc7dee31be88d4f2e6da574d7a64d9_view.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Gesink seems very focussed, working hard on his weaknesses and is really prepared to suffer. Other Tour contenders take note :rolleyes:

I also think coming back from his recent injuries and hardships will give him a mental strength other contenders lack.

It will be very interesting to see how he matches up with Wiggo at the Dauphine...

Winterfold said:
Gesink seems very focussed, working hard on his weaknesses and is really prepared to suffer. Other Tour contenders take note :rolleyes:

I also think coming back from his recent injuries and hardships will give him a mental strength other contenders lack.

It will be very interesting to see how he matches up with Wiggo at the Dauphine...
We won't see it because Gesink rides Tour de Suisse. He's on altitude camp from now till Suisse. And after Suisse he continues training at altitude

May 31, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He retired, never quite lived up to the "promise" from this test. Of course it also depends on which point in the season he did the test, most riders (like Gesink) do it in early January so they're far from top form.

Currently the list looks like this (not entirely, Kruijswijk's number on the list Gesink posted is higher, apparently taken on a different location)

c8dc7dee31be88d4f2e6da574d7a64d9_view.jpg

Really impressive numbers by Goos there. Looking forward to see him among the pros in a few years. I remember when he arrived at Rabobank CT last year, his trainers were very enthusiastic about him and compared him to Kruijswijk.

Concentration and dedication seems to be the key for talented fellows such as him.

Azabael said:
Really impressive numbers by Goos there. Looking forward to see him among the pros in a few years. I remember when he arrived at Rabobank CT last year, his trainers were very enthusiastic about him and compared him to Kruijswijk.

Concentration and dedication seems to be the key for talented fellows such as him.
Goos did beat the Great Tiernan-Locke in Leon last year, but then he broke his hip and TBH he hasn't been that impressive since... then again, the test result above is from this year, so the legs should still be there.

greenedge said:
Amazing by Goos. Anyone else surprised about Rohan Dennis ( when he was young- 21 ) beating some of the other people?
Yeah, great result by Dennis, who is indeed a massive talent. But Goos and Kelderman were the same age or younger than him when they did their respective tests, as was Gesink at the time he set this number.

On paper, Dennis should be the biggest talent for stage racing in Australia, and I have no doubt Greenedge will have noticed as well.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
We won't see it because Gesink rides Tour de Suisse. He's on altitude camp from now till Suisse. And after Suisse he continues training at altitude

Oh- I wonder where I thought I read or heard that then?

It would have been good for expectations management to see how they compare.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Goos did beat the Great Tiernan-Locke in Leon last year, but then he broke his hip and TBH he hasn't been that impressive since... then again, the test result above is from this year, so the legs should still be there.

And for some reason, I feel like Goos needs improvement in his resilience when it comes to misfortune. But then again, I think to notice that as an outsider. Perhaps his teamleaders would say he's the most dedicated one out there, fortune or misfortune.

BTw that altitude training really is the way to go nowadays isn't it?

Vandenbroeck has done non-stop altitude training since LBL
Wiggins has done non-stop altitude training since Romandie
Gesink did altitude training at Lake Tahoe prior to California, and will resume altitude training in Spain now until Suisse and after Suisse.
Nibali has done altitude training since LBL and will resume that now after California...

Wiggins supposed 100.000 height metres of climbing won't have much effect if all other contenders do the same

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Freire said once that if he had Gesink's legs, he would have won the Tour already, and that Gesink had tremendous talents, but needed to learn to race smarter. The way Gesink won the Baldy stage showed he's definitely racing smarter. He attacked at the right moment to pass everybody to win the stage, so if he continues to race (and TT) the way his did at TOC, who knows?

May 31, 2011
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Freire said once that if he had Gesink's legs, he would have won the Tour already, and that Gesink had tremendous talents, but needed to learn to race smarter. The way Gesink won the Baldy stage showed he's definitely racing smarter. He attacked at the right moment to pass everybody to win the stage, so if he continues to race (and TT) the way his did at TOC, who knows?

Yea, but no offence, but those are merely pretty words by Freire. Gesink still has to deal with other massive talents such as Contador and Schleck. I bet Freire would have won the tour with a complete arsenal of different legs.

No. Freire's relaxed attitude makes him incredibly suited for long, nervous races. He knows when to be focused, and when to take it easy. Gesink wants to be in the front all day long, and then when the sh.t hits the fan he doesn't have any energy left.

And that Gesink isn't the smartest bike racer around, I don't think Freire says anything shocking there? Gesink is a smart guy, not a smart bike racer.