• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
so true, break your leg and you should be winning GTs in the same yeh duh.

this excuse again? I remember last year when he broke his leg EVERYONE agreed that by next years tour he should be back to normal level, including gesink self, doctors, rabo and fanboys here. :eek:

Ryo Hazuki said:
this excuse again? I remember last year when he broke his leg EVERYONE agreed that by next years tour he should be back to normal level, including gesink self, doctors, rabo and fanboys here. :eek:
good...were it not that your memory fails you harder than an alzheimer patient. :rolleyes:

doctors said it could take up to a full year before he regained all his power in his right leg. So kthxbye...

maybe do less drugs so you remember things properly, lol

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
they were stupid then and like you share an ignorance of the human body.

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the tour is only race interesting for a sponsor :rolleyes: so obviously next year will be even more focus on the tour to get a new sponsor

Exactly,they will put all the eggs in the Tour basket just to try and get a new sponsor. Can't blame them for that.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I suggest you watch Montreal 2010 or Quebec 2011

Especially Quebec 2011 where on a short 400m hill he even put Gilbert in slight trouble.
How do you explain that?
And how do you explain him dropping Vanendert on the Redoute in his first year as Pro?

Gesink can be 'explosive' when he wants to be, just never in the biggest races, because those guys (rodriguez/gilbert/evans etc) are even more explosive

Quebec 2011 Gesink caught a seriously undergeared Gilbert off guard, and in 2007 beating Vanendert and Hoste :)o) on the Redoute isn't the biggest indicator of explosiveness.

How do you explain he was distanced by Gilbert on the final climb in Quebec? Do you realize Gesinks max sprint power is possibly only half that of Gilbert, judging both's hill capacities?

Pentacycle said:
Quebec 2011 Gesink caught a seriously undergeared Gilbert off guard, and in 2007 beating Vanendert and Hoste :)o) on the Redoute isn't the biggest indicator of explosiveness.

How do you explain he was distanced by Gilbert on the final climb in Quebec? Do you realize Gesinks max sprint power is possibly only half that of Gilbert, judging both's hill capacities?
I think back in 2007 there was a regrouping behind Gesink, so in whatever position Hoste finished doesn't really matter.

If I remember correctly, in Quebec he was in Leukemans' wheel, and Leukemans had to let go of Gilbert. So Gesink had to close a gap, that's an error of positioning, not explosiveness.

Look, Gesink is not a naturally super-explosive rider, but it all depends on who you compare him with. The number of times he did well in semi-classics and Tirreno and suchlike, that's not all because his opponents were undergeared :eek:

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Gesink is not exposive enough to beat the likes of Valverde, Rodriguez, Gilbert, Contador, A Schleck, S Sanchez in a sprint uphill. I think Gesink is a similar type as Froome, Tall, Skinny and has an OK acceleration, however as you saw in the Vuelta with Froome in good shape, he needs to take a min or so to get back to the real explosive riders. The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble. Plus they are also good time trialers, which most explosive guys are not. I think Contador has best of both worlds (close to the best time trialer at least) and thats why he is the number 1 GT rider in the last decade.
Gesink in 2012 was all about recovery and he even shared during the Vuelta that the strength in his legs are not fully back yet to how it was before breaking his legs.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
I agree that Gesink is not exposive enough to beat the likes of Valverde, Rodriguez, Gilbert, Contador, A Schleck, S Sanchez in a sprint uphill. I think Gesink is a similar type as Froome, Tall, Skinny and has an OK acceleration, however as you saw in the Vuelta with Froome in good shape, he needs to take a min or so to get back to the real explosive riders. The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble. Plus they are also good time trialers, which most explosive guys are not. I think Contador has best of both worlds (close to the best time trialer at least) and thats why he is the number 1 GT rider in the last decade.
Gesink in 2012 was all about recovery and he even shared during the Vuelta that the strength in his legs are not fully back yet to how it was before breaking his legs.

Really ? His shape was mediocore at very best and downgraded since 2 week on..

Actually Froome is a pretty decent uphill sprinter isn't he? He won a stage at the Tour and at the Vuelta that way.

Also in fact Andy Schleck isn't a good uphill sprinter from my point-of-view. Just remember how Gilbert played with Andy and Frank at Luik-Bastenaken-Luik last year. He managed to win that Tour stage in 2010, because he has a good acceleration. But Andy Schleck doesn't fix in that list with Gilbert and Rodriguez.

I would compare Gesink more with Basso qua riding style. They're both diesels. Sometimes they got a pretty decent acceleration to get a small gap and then motoring a good tempo uphill to distance the rivals even more. Of course Basso is or was on another level at this. Still at the Vuelta 09 Gesink was better. So the ability should be there.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Really ? His shape was mediocore at very best and downgraded since 2 week on..

Froome nosedived after the first week but in that first week he was very good. He is not yet so extraterrestrial that he can compete with Purito on Arrate in mediocre shape.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
burning said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesink-tired-of-the-criticism

A comment from his biggest fan:
Ryo Hazuki 4 hours ago
what a crybaby. name one other rider that gets paid 1 million euros a year is leader in every race and gt he wants and never delivers.being top ten in a gt nobody cares about that, gesink. how many stages have you won?

TJVG, although officially he's not the team's first leader in the tour.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble.

did you miss the 2009 & 2010 tour where both times an explosive rider repeatedly attacked with a massive acceleration AND held a very high tempo to distance all other rivals? most explosive climbers have the tempo of a diesel but a massive acceleration. as for the morzine avoriz stage that schleck won, the last 500m were pretty much flat so it was a sprint between schleck and sanchez, schleck just had the acceleration on the day to narrowly beat sanchez.

gesink maybe just needs a good director or someone to motivate him in training and races so he can do well??, just like schleck. when he was younger he didn't have as much pressure for him to perform and he was more motivated so obviously did better at gts like the vuelta

Gesink already had the image of a whining also-ran in Holland, so I'm not sure what he tried to achieve with that interview. I'd say just keep your mouth shut, and try to get some results. That's when I'll believe you'll get back to your old level, not by saying you will.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
A top 5 in his 2nd GT, at a younger age than Gesink and you say that about TJVG?

Yeah, so Gesink got 7th in his first GT, 6th in his second (but didn't he lose a lot of time due to a crash there?), then at 24 he got 5th in the TDF just like TJVG.

You know, despite crashing a lot Gesink got better results and at a younger age than TJVG, but yeah then things started going downhill after losing his father, breaking his leg.....

I really hope he can somehow get back at least to his old level again, but it remains to be seen.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
He crashed out of his second GT...

ah right, well despite crashing out of it, he still managed, he was still climbing with Valverde, Sanchez, Evans etc. a bit later in the Vuelta. That's better than any climbing TJVG has ever done. And Gesink did it at age 23, despite crashing out of the TDF earlier. :)