• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
plus he has a better acceleration than teejay, that surely counts for something :) ? teejay is unlikely to win any mountain stages, however gesink has the opportunity to. at the 2010 I can remember he stood out to me as one of the better riders apart from schleck and contador, especially climbing

nick101 said:
did you miss the 2009 & 2010 tour where both times an explosive rider repeatedly attacked with a massive acceleration AND held a very high tempo to distance all other rivals? most explosive climbers have the tempo of a diesel but a massive acceleration. as for the morzine avoriz stage that schleck won, the last 500m were pretty much flat so it was a sprint between schleck and sanchez, schleck just had the acceleration on the day to narrowly beat sanchez.

gesink maybe just needs a good director or someone to motivate him in training and races so he can do well??, just like schleck. when he was younger he didn't have as much pressure for him to perform and he was more motivated so obviously did better at gts like the vuelta
Samu got cramp. 9/10 times he wins that sprint.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
The 2009 Tour. DNF.

yeah, I know.

Gesink palmares <25:

20th Overall Tour of California
..1st Best Young Rider overall,
1st Stage 4 Tour of Belgium
2nd Overall Tour de Pologne
5th Overall Deutschland Tour
..1st Best Young Rider overall

4th Overall Paris–Nice, winning Mt. Ventoux stage
..1st Young Rider Classification
4th La Flèche Wallonne
4th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré
7th Overall Vuelta a España
9th Overall Tour of California
..1st Stage 3
..1st Best Young Rider overall
10th Road Race World Championships
10th Olympic Road Race
10th Olympic Time Trial

1st Giro dell'Emilia
3rd Amstel Gold Race
4th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré
6th Overall Vuelta a España
6th Giro di Lombardia
7th Overall Vuelta al País Vasco
8th Overall Tour of California
..1st Best Youth Rider overall

1st Giro dell'Emilia
1st Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
3rd Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
5th Overall Tirreno–Adriatico
..1st Youth Classification
5th Overall Tour de Suisse
..1st Stage 6
5th Overall Tour de France
7th Clásica de San Sebastián
8th Overall Tour Méditerranéen
8th Overall Tour of the Basque Country

TJVG palmares <25:

1st, Stage 1 (TTT), Vuelta a Espana
2nd, Overall, Tour of Turkey
3rd, Overall, Criterium du Dauphine
4th, Overall, Tour de l'Ain
..1st, Young rider classification
9th, Overall, Volta ao Algarve

1st, Stage 3 (ITT), Tour of Utah
2nd, Overall, Volta ao Algarve
3rd, Overall, USA Pro Cycling Challenge
5th, Overall, Tour of California
11th, Overall, Tour de Suisse

2nd, National Time Trial Championships
2nd, Overall, USA Pro Cycling Challenge
..1st, Stage 2
4th, Overall, Tour of California
4th, UCI World Time Trial Championships
5th, Overall, Tour de France
5th, Overall, Paris–Nice
7th, Overall, Volta ao Algarve

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
yup agreed, during his sprint he cramped (otherwise he wouldn't have even tried to sprint if he was cramping and before that if he was cramping he wouldn't have even been able to bridge to schleck) andy's acceleration was suffice to beat him. as most mtf's in the tour are flat in the final 500m andy wouldn't win in a sprint normally

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
He will skip the Ardennes classics...

Just skip the Tour de France instead and save yourself the disappointment and the whining of the Dutch 'fans', Bobby!

Der Effe said:
He will skip the Ardennes classics...

Just skip the Tour de France instead and save yourself the disappointment and the whining of the Dutch 'fans', Bobby!
He so badly wants to prove himself that it's almost a bit sad. But who knows, after three years of nothing in the Tour maybe he'll win a stage or whatever.

JRanton said:
So it does! I only read the quotes. So probably Ten Dam to the Tour then?
It's interesting that Gesink only speaks of himself and Mollema as possible Tour leaders... Ten Dam might have a word or two to say about that.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
this will be hilarious season again. I predicted gesinks career end some years ago and so far I"m right. he's nothing near his old level ever since his broken leg. and his pathetic focus on the tour every year and acting like he's still teamleader makes it only sadder for him and funnier for me.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
this will be hilarious season again. I predicted gesinks career end some years ago and so far I"m right. he's nothing near his old level ever since his broken leg. and his pathetic focus on the tour every year and acting like he's still teamleader makes it only sadder for him and funnier for me.

Make fun of riders who struggle is really sad. Of course, the Gesink of 2008-2010 we probably won't see again. That's a shame, because without a fall he would have reached the podium of the Vuelta in 2009. He was a super strong rider who could perform well in the classics and was already with the best 10 riders of the peloton in terms of GC.

However, it's really difficult to recover from a broken leg, particullary if you have the mental difficulties if your father suddenly dies. It could be that he needs 2/3 years to recover and returns at fully 100%. He's still 27, so you never know what happens. At the moment, he is more a classic rider than a GC man. His maximal potential is now a 6th place in a Giro or Vuelta, because his big engine on the longer climbs disappeared. 4 years ago, you knew he would be top when the big climbs arrive, now you know he will lose there.

However, he still won GP Quebec, and finish 6th in Catalunya. Give him one more chance i ask you, because i still think he has more potential than Mollema.

Arredondo said:
Make fun of riders who struggle is really sad. Of course, the Gesink of 2008-2010 we probably won't see again. That's a shame, because without a fall he would have reached the podium of the Vuelta in 2009. He was a super strong rider who could perform well in the classics and was already with the best 10 riders of the peloton in terms of GC.

However, it's really difficult to recover from a broken leg, particullary if you have the mental difficulties if your father suddenly dies. It could be that he needs 2/3 years to recover and returns at fully 100%. He's still 27, so you never know what happens. At the moment, he is more a classic rider than a GC man. His maximal potential is now a 6th place in a Giro or Vuelta, because his big engine on the longer climbs disappeared. 4 years ago, you knew he would be top when the big climbs arrive, now you know he will lose there.

However, he still won GP Quebec, and finish 6th in Catalunya. Give him one more chance i ask you, because i still think he has more potential than Mollema.

You made me lol there

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
above all he is mentally pathetic. he wouldn;t never achieved greatness with or without the crashes.

And he'll never think about becoming a domestique, after all his tempo riding uphill is still ok before the real climbers accellerate. But all 'work' he's done this year's Tour, was so he could brag about how important he'd been for Mollema sixth spot in GC. And while the latter rode his best season to date, Gesink rode one of his worst at the same age, but wants to compete with him for GT leadership. How ridiculous can it get :eek:

Pentacycle said:
And he'll never think about becoming a domestique, after all his tempo riding uphill is still ok before the real climbers accellerate. But all 'work' he's done this year's Tour, was so he could brag about how important he'd been for Mollema sixth spot in GC. And while the latter rode his best season to date, Gesink rode one of his worst at the same age, but wants to compete with him for GT leadership. How ridiculous can it get :eek:
Actually, Gesink's Giro wasn't that much worse than Mollema's Tour. But he wasn't able to finish it.

Neither of them is great on the long climbs. Neither of them is worth building your whole team around for the Tour.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Actually, Gesink's Giro wasn't that much worse than Mollema's Tour. But he wasn't able to finish it.

Neither of them is great on the long climbs. Neither of them is worth building your whole team around for the Tour.

Tell that to a team that thinks finishing 8th in a Tour of Beijing stage is a good result...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:

I think the simple fact that he didn't finish makes Mollema's Tour better then his Giro (up to the point he left the race that is). Even without Gesink abandoning though I would consider Mollema's Tour better, Gesink was 10th overall before the stage he abandoned on, while Mollema remained on the podium for much of the race and only fell to 6th in the final 3 mountain stages.

Agree with this, just send them both and see who comes out better. Shouldn't be too hard to support both.

Afrank said:
I think the simple fact that he didn't finish makes Mollema's Tour better then his Giro (up to the point he left the race that is). Even without Gesink abandoning though I would consider Mollema's Tour better, Gesink was 10th overall before the stage he abandoned on, while Mollema remained on the podium for much of the race and only fell to 6th in the final 3 mountain stages.

Agree with this, just send them both and see who comes out better. Shouldn't be too hard to support both.
Gesink had more potential than Mollema when he arrived. Due to whatever circumstances, now he is lesser than Mollema which can easily be seen in performances. Mollema finished quite high in the early stages of TDF but failed in the latter stages indicating he doesn't have the recovery. But all in all Mollema, Gesink & Ten Dam should provide Belkin with good strategic options if they want to do so. Unfortunately it is difficult to see them do that as either it is every rider for himself or points collection for the team rather than trying for glory.

theyoungest said:

Or whatever GT. Big hype, no results = big RaboBlancoBelkinFail.
You gotta admit they're somehow cute tho :D

TRENDING THREADS