• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink out of the tour ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
Yes, that's correct.

I don't think half an hour of racing on cobbles is the prescribed treatment, so maybe after today the hairline will be a crater.

Not really... The prescribed treatment is rest and he won't get it. Actually it's worst case scenario since they ride over the cobbles today. Maybe he should just say "**** it, i'm giving up the GC today" and just cruise over the cobbles and lose 15 minutes. Atleast he can go for the polka jersey by making an early escape in the mountain stages.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Not really... The prescribed treatment is rest and he won't get it. Actually it's worst case scenario since they ride over the cobbles today. Maybe he should just say "**** it, i'm giving up the GC today" and just cruise over the cobbles and lose 15 minutes. Atleast he can go for the polka jersey by making an early escape in the mountain stages.

Part of me hopes he does this, because otherwise he could have a much larger problem after this stage

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He'll want to make use of his top form, even if he loses time today he can still win us a stage (which the Dutchies really need). And it's not like you can't crash in the Vuelta, which Gesink himself showed so gloriously last year.

Will he really be able to properley contend two GT's in one year like that as "bobby g" is a spring chicken.

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Just saw odds of Basso vs Gesink on betfair when I was at the pub and lumped on without knowing Gesink was injured.

Gesink on twitter: "10:59 Zo, helemaal klaar voor een mooie dag. Polsje ingetaped en minder zwelling dan gisteren. Zin in vanavond en niet alleen om het voetbal!"

Loosely translated he says: "So, totally ready for a good day. Wrist has been bandaged and there's less swelling than yesterday. Looking forward to this evening and not just the football"

Seems somewhat optimistic, thats a good sign at least, especially since he also said that there was far less pain this morning than yesterday.

Moondance said:
Gesink on twitter: "10:59 Zo, helemaal klaar voor een mooie dag. Polsje ingetaped en minder zwelling dan gisteren. Zin in vanavond en niet alleen om het voetbal!"

Loosely translated he says: "So, totally ready for a good day. Wrist has been bandaged and there's less swelling than yesterday. Looking forward to this evening and not just the football"

Seems somewhat optimistic, thats a good sign at least.
He also said to journalists this morning that last night he was on the brink of giving up... I wouldn't be surprised if he won't be in the race tomorrow.

theyoungest said:
He also said to journalists this morning that last night he was on the brink of giving up... I wouldn't be surprised if he won't be in the race tomorrow.

Well, last night I was pretty much convinced he'd end up being out before this stage anyway (regardless of what had been said yesterday) but like I said, I have a little hope now at least.

Ifhe does leave it'll be a shitty day. Gesink & Terpstra out, and Uruguay beating Oranje. :(

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
By the way. How will a hairline fracture affect his ride? I have no idea how severe an injury this is for a cyclist. Clearly it'll be an annoyance but will it actually hold him back?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Bobby G said:
Only lost 2.25 today. great effort even with a good wrist! 18 secs to Armstrong, 72 to Contador. Can be happy with that i think!

Yes, you can :p;)

But really great effort by him, and by Basso, would not have expected them so close

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Posted this in the thread of today's stage but repost it here, Gesink fell again today, but it was of no real consequence. They were happy with the fact that he had not lost to much time

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Well they say this:
Robert Gesink verbeet de pijn, werd goed bijgestaan door ploegmaats, maar viel ook toen vlak voor hem een renner tegen de vlakte ging. Daarbij bezeerde hij zijn rechterhand.

He hurt his right hand, but they didn't say the went to the hospital. But if he broke something in his right as well, wonder how he'll steer after this, with his teeth perhaps? ;)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Well they say this:

He hurt his right hand, but they didn't say the went to the hospital. But if he broke something in his right as well, wonder how he'll steer after this, with his teeth perhaps? ;)

17 days to go, 32 teeth, 2 teeth a day.... gonna be a close call !

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Bottle Leipheimer apparently not only dislikes the cold, but also the fact that TVs are not allowed in the DS cars. Somebody call Xzibit to pimp out Levi's team car, complete with a diaper dispenser in case Bottle wets himself during a Contador attack.

cars are allowed tv's, just not in the front seat. maybe their mechanic in the back is a mute and can't relay info to the front of the car

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we have to tell them their not missing much anyway , except seeing where Lance Armstrong is every thirty seconds and hearing how well he is riding blah blah blah