• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giant-Shimano

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arnout said:
Giro organizers might not like that. He already won two stages, if he wins three stages and then abandons he's sort of taking the ****.

Now he is "forced" to abandon so he can say to the Giro organizers that he would've wanted to continue, surely today as he would've been the big big favorite for the win, so he is shooting himself in the foot too by leaving now. Sort of sharing the pain.

That or clinic reasons.

Or possibly he's ill?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Maybe Kittel knew about the dangerous conditions and didn't want to risk injury with the Tour in mind.

What is particularly dangerous about today's flat stage that a sprinter would find too much?

If true that he did not want to take the risk, then why lie? If he is a liar about leaving a race, then why believe him when he says he is not doping?

I'm always amazed at how so many riders using social media wil take photos of things to show off to the fans as proof of something. This is more common in other sports, like MMA, when a guy has a broken hand or something, they love to show the X-Ray to everybody.

Yet, no photo of the thermometer showing Kittel's "fever" posted up for followers to confirm.

zigmeister said:
I'm always amazed at how so many riders using social media wil take photos of things to show off to the fans as proof of something. This is more common in other sports, like MMA, when a guy has a broken hand or something, they love to show the X-Ray to everybody.

Yet, no photo of the thermometer showing Kittel's "fever" posted up for followers to confirm.

To be fair, if you have a fever all you really want to do is lie down and take a paracetemol.

EDIT : And do I think Kitttel is doping? No.

RownhamHill said:
Sorry, I didn't realise if you, Arnout, were posting in the Clinic then any possibility of illness was automatically ruled out.

Well I was sort of taking the **** of the clinic with that comment, as the clinic tends to be similar to conspiracy sites in that any explanation based on explanation given by the person(s) in question or based on "natural" events are dismissed as not true.

Of course it's possible he really is ill, could be. I doubt it though, I also doubt pure clinic reasons. Personally I think this is his way to credibly exit the Giro at such an early point in the race. Of course, other explanations including real illness are possible.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
If Kittel is doping why did he tweet about Sayer, who subsequently got popped? And for which the moral clinic accused him of racism and '****ting in the pool' of the local rider in his local race.

Seriously he's just been riding through all that ****ty Irish weather, he twisted himself inside out to win Stage 3, something that should be lauded but instead the clinic turn on the 'anglo' and insinuate his retirement is something to do with doping.

Yawn.

Arnout said:
Well I was sort of taking the **** of the clinic with that comment, as the clinic tends to be similar to conspiracy sites in that any explanation based on explanation given by the person(s) in question or based on "natural" events are dismissed as not true.

Yeah, apologies, my reply probably sounded ruder than I meant it; it was meant in the same spirit as your first comment!

Digger said:
Kittel seen training in Tuscany with a famous trainer. New generation!!

Exactly, just the other day an article made by Capodacqua (who's usually reliable in this subject matter) on La Repubblica dealt with the issue.
And now that we arrive in Italy, Mr. "2000 watts" decides to abandon due to a sudden terrible illness?

My ***.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
If Kittel is doping why did he tweet about Sayer, who subsequently got popped? And for which the moral clinic accused him of racism and '****ting in the pool' of the local rider in his local race.

Why did Kittel not tweet about Contador, Valverde, O'Grady and all those other dopers?

JimmyFingers said:
Seriously he's just been riding through all that ****ty Irish weather, he twisted himself inside out to win Stage 3, something that should be lauded but instead the clinic turn on the 'anglo' and insinuate his retirement is something to do with doping.

Yeah twisting inside out in the last 100metres after an easy stage takes a lot out of top pros, he has been riding 2 whole days, enough to kill a normal person....:rolleyes:

JimmyFingers said:

Yep, Jim, this post and its excuses.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why did Kittel not tweet about Contador, Valverde, O'Grady and all those other dopers?

Yeah twisting inside out in the last 100metres after an easy stage takes a lot out of top pros, he has been riding 2 whole days, enough to kill a normal person....:rolleyes:

Yep, Jim, this post and its excuses.

See Gooner's post. And your post is the usual dull clinic diatribe of 'if you win, you are doping'. Kittel gets a bit extra because he's German. I saw how the clinic reacted to his tweet, some posters attitude were disgusting, attacking him rather than praising him. Instead an Anglo-alliance was conjured out of the ether to justify accusations of racism, it was pathetic. Three months later Sayer was pinged. Any apologies, any retractions? No, the song stayed the same, he didn't call out Sky ergo he's reinforcing omertà.

And now he's a doper himself. It's a scattergun, mindless approach to the debate, and Kittel doesn't deserve any of it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
But he did in the case of Contador, Samu Sanchez and Indurain.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kittel-sick-of-armstrong-supporters

OOh yeah he really is calling them dopers isn't he.....not.

gooner said:

Recognise what? That Kittel didn't shoot at others in this, only the Kazakhs and their mentality, next he'll be telling us Germans never dope? Where did Kittel have a go at Kloden or Voight? Where does he have a go at Wiggins or Froome? Yet he lambasts the mentality of Kazakhs, wow Kittel a racist!

Kittel calling the kettle black, i think.

Options

1. Doped. Not unlikely. He was certainly tested twice and you can't trust no cyclist. Also, I could imagine cyclists have a different definition of doping, setting the bar at Sayer's level. Maybe they don't know what they're having.
2. Gambling. There could have been bets he wouldn't win. Chinese gamblers probably feel at home in Italy. They might even have spiked his drink or release some virus in his hotel room. Less plausible, but can't be ruled out.
3. Lame excuse. Obviously he's proven he's the best sprinter in the Vuelta. Why burn all your matches? He's going for the clash of titans in july. Very likely, but it would have been nice to wait for the first mountain.
4. Hung over. He won. Top shape. Birthday. Mixed drinks. Makes sense.
5. Really ill. No way. You don't go from top shape to ill in a few hours. There should have been signs and he would have struggled to stay with the peloton. You can ride a bike with fever (I go jogging, it does no harm!), unless it's over 39.5 degrees, but still, some paracetamol gets you over it quickly. Maybe you give up after 10K, but at least you tried.

I go for the hangover.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder who this "famous" trainer is any why Kittel is training with him.

Arent the Ferrari and Leinders types usually working with the gc guys?