• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giant's New Cyclocross bike

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
How about that new Giant? That is damn fine looking Cross bike! I don't think it will come spec'd with Di2 or those wheels once it is fully developed but it does look like a pretty sweet ride.
Are there people out there interested in a Cross bike with an integrated seat mast? I like that Giant is pushing these newer technologies into the bike but is it right for the discipline?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BrandonT said:
How about that new Giant? That is damn fine looking Cross bike! I don't think it will come spec'd with Di2 or those wheels once it is fully developed but it does look like a pretty sweet ride.
Are there people out there interested in a Cross bike with an integrated seat mast? I like that Giant is pushing these newer technologies into the bike but is it right for the discipline?
To me it looks too soft and compliant in the back end ... something about the stays ... Then again, it may just be cos I ride a Cannondale cross bike and am used to beefier stays ...

And I'd be hoping it doesn't come with Di2 (although I'll declare my hand and say that in another post I described electronic shifting as a "solution looking for a problem") - why put the battery pack UNDER the chain stay for a bike that is going to get hammered in the wet and on the dirt and jumped across barriers? We've all had problems with water getting into supposedly waterproof sealed battery packs, and this is just asking for it ...

Also with you on the integrated seat post ... the idea of a bit of flex is good, but then again, how does that flex sit (sorry, bad pun) with the constant remounts? Could be a great idea if you're a sponsored pro who's given a number of bikes per year, but not for us mere mortals who have to buy our own kit??

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Let's run under the assumption first that Giant will have done its homework and built enough strength into the integrated mast to withstand remounts (and realistically, is this arrangement really any more prone to failure than this one? http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/phot...ebon_kona_major-jake08/mjc2008-12-13_13-30-49).

Ok, with that being said, compliance in the rear end on a 'cross bike is arguably more important than it is on a road bike as it can have a major impact on traction. Not everyone *wants* that sort of feel, especially on a race bike, but if you have it without affecting the drivetrain efficiency it's not exactly a bad thing.

The integrated mast would also virtually eliminate the possibility of a slipped seatpost during a race though it would obviously create some issues with travel.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am sure that Giant has done its homework as well. It's not as though the Ridley X-night hasn't had a integrated seat mast for a few season's either. It is arguably one of the best Cross bikes available as well.
I think I was expecting something else from Giant though. I really didn't want to see electronic shifting.

It will be interesting to see if Lar Boom use's that frame and shifting. Last year he stayed on his Colnago from before Giant became a sponsor.

BrandonT said:
I am sure that Giant has done its homework as well. It's not as though the Ridley X-night hasn't had a integrated seat mast for a few season's either. It is arguably one of the best Cross bikes available as well.
I think I was expecting something else from Giant though. I really didn't want to see electronic shifting.

It will be interesting to see if Lar Boom use's that frame and shifting. Last year he stayed on his Colnago from before Giant became a sponsor.
this year he will only race 3 or 4 cross races (no worlds). So I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with the bike he has, instead of wasting time to get the right feeling on a new bike.

TRENDING THREADS