• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gilbert lashes out at Evans - "not a team player" ! Merde !

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
msjett said:
Most people decide the first time they meet someone or that person does something, whether they like them, can work for them or not.

If there is such a problem here, then S-L management need to address it, and that does not seem to be happening, so it could just be the ego's of riders clashing.

BroDeal you aren't the only one with an opinion, you are so quick to shoot everyone else's opinions down that aren't in line with yours. It's petty and unnecessary.

I give my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. If you cannot handle people posting opposing viewpoints then you might want to rethink using internet forums.

You made a weak argument that one incident of helping a teammate proves that Evans is can be a team player, implying that he is a good teammate and team leader. I simply pointed out that the argument is weak because even though he might occasionally treat teammates well, his treatment of the team at other times might outweigh the goodwill he builds by uncommon acts of kindness.

I don't know what his problem is. Maybe he is just not very friendly with the other team members. Maybe behind closed doors he blames his teammates for his failures. Maybe his personality clashes with the typical rider. Who knows. He looked very alone last year at the TdF.

Could the fact that Evans switched from MTB success to become a road racer perhaps be part of the reason he's not so liked by his team mates? I don't know how the general feeling among road racers are towards other forms of cycling.

Could there be cultural diffrences perhaps as well. MTBing is more individual in nature so I guess it's possible Evans doesn't have the right team mentality as I guess road racers develope at an early stage in their career.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I give my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. If you cannot handle people posting opposing viewpoints then you might want to rethink using internet forums.

You made a weak argument that one incident of helping a teammate proves that Evans is can be a team player, implying that he is a good teammate and team leader. I simply pointed out that the argument is weak because even though he might occasionally treat teammates well, his treatment of the team at other times might outweigh the goodwill he builds by uncommon acts of kindness.

I don't know what his problem is. Maybe he is just not very friendly with the other team members. Maybe behind closed doors he blames his teammates for his failures. Maybe his personality clashes with the typical rider. Who knows. He looked very alone last year at the TdF.

You know what you are so right, I should have known better than to make an argument against a god like forum member that you are.

Get over yourself, your opinion is no more or less valuable on here than mine.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's doubtful that anyone here knows the real dynamics within the Lotto team, but the reality is the team managment seem to be publicly criticizing the team for no wins, and some team members are now being critical with their leaders.
All this cat fighting aside, it would be a great publicity win if the Silence-Lotto team were to successfully keep the cycling media buzzing with just this kind of team descent smak talk, let the opposition think the worst about support for Cadel leading up to the Tour, then pull off a completely unified Tour team assault. This will be the first year Cadel has had for the whole Lotto team to be unified to support him for the Yellow Jersey. No more Robbie, more help for Cadel in the mountains.
I'm not neccessarily a Cadel fan as I am a fan of the drama going on for 3 weeks in July.

msjett said:
Why can't I? It only took one incident last tour to make people decide that they didn't like him.

No it took a history of riding wheels and subpar performances after lofty expectations only to topped off with the train wreck of a media display that he put on at last year's tour to fortify it for me. Now this year he's seemed to have gotten more aggressive which I respect, its just that his timing is a bit off. Still the fact remains that for 2 consecutive years he's complained to the media of his lack of support. Even when he had Chris Horner in 2007 he complained that he wasn't getting the same support that his opponents had. I'm sure the media could really help him with that and I'm sure those teammates that had toiled 3 weeks for him weren't over joyed by these statements.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
And it's a real surprise to hear your typical Australian hating comments. Did an Aussie sleep with your wife to bring on this hatred?

The knife cuts deep.

It’s a well established fact that Australians are less sophisticated and classy than the Europeans. In the peleton they are seen as simple and certainly less educated than the rest of the bunch. It’s ok. Similar to having an alcohol problem, which incidentally most Australians do, the sooner Australians admit that they are simple and used by the European teams as cheap labour the better they will feel about themselves.

whiteboytrash said:
The knife cuts deep.

It’s a well established fact that Australians are less sophisticated and classy than the Europeans. In the peleton they are seen as simple and certainly less educated than the rest of the bunch. It’s ok. Similar to having an alcohol problem, which incidentally most Australians do, the sooner Australians admit that they are simple and used by the European teams as cheap labour the better they will feel about themselves.

Talk about a lack of class! Could this post be anymore insulting and ....... Simply put, the "trash" in your moniker could be described as an understatement based on the above quote.:mad:

...and no I'm not Australian!

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Poor Aussies - clearly they should all just go back to the dump down under and hop around on kangaroos!! Honestly is it too much to ask for some informed debate? The blatent nation bashing and uneducated comments displayed by some in this thread is appalling. Clearly Evans insights passionate dislike or adoration by the fans and media alike. This should not be a reflection on a country and its people.

From what I can tell - Silence Lotto has some serious internal problems. Is this Cadels fault? Is it managments fault? I honestly have no idea. Frankly Gilberts comments left me cold and team management clearly need to provide better direction and put their efforts into team building rather than public criticism. As for Evans? - I respect the guy, but he also needs to learn that bagging your team does not encourage them to work for you. Methinks he needs to take a leaf out of Robbies or Carlos' book on this one.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
The knife cuts deep.

It appears your knife is blunt (i.e. not sharp, just like you).

Why don't we debate using facts rather than the erroneous dribble that you spew about of Australians?

I note that the UK track cycling coach is an Australian, Shane Sutton, voted coach of the year in 2008 and that the new British road cycling team will have another Australian, Scott Sunderland, as its DS. You're certainly paying those "less educated" Australia's well to run British cycling.

Why don't we then actually examine education levels and make some comparisons? Based on the OECD's Education at a Glance for 2008, the proportion of Australian 25-34 year olds having attained tertiary eduction was higher than the UK, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Italy (among others). Looking at the percentage of young people entering university-level education, Australian ranked first.

A "well established fact" is not merely so by its repetition. The only fact from your comments is that you have a pathological hatred of Australians. I suggest you seek help from a psychologist to overcome your disorder. Good luck.

He doesn't have a hatred of Australians - he's just trying to wind you up...

My advice (and please feel free to ignore) is to try and pick out the good points that folks make from the editorial colour - assuming somewhere in there is a good point in the first place. ;)