• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gilbert signs for Lotto until end 2012

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Remember when Lotto signed Cadel Evans to an extension with the promise of building a team to help him win Grand Tours? I would expect that Sergent's efforts to "reinforce the team around Gilbert" will be about as effective.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but unlike Evans, Gilbert wins bike races and manages to not sound like a winging hobbit.

Perhaps more of a team player=more of a team.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He took Delage with him from FDJ, so he's prolly a loyal guy who others wouldn't mind working for.
He already wins classics so if they can get him a good helper like Leukemans or Nuyens he should even be doing better.

Good decision.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Yeah but unlike Evans, Gilbert wins bike races and manages to not sound like a winging hobbit.

Perhaps more of a team player=more of a team.

Your posts scream of just absolute hatred of evans and not a miniscule of logic or fairness.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Your posts scream of just absolute truth about evans and a close attention to logic and fairness.

say what? ;)

Any word on the money amount to keep him? Because if I were Gilbert I would have been pushing hard for a heavy salary, or at least the option to choose who I could recruit as my domestiques and have the funding go there to get me my wins.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
According to his agent

So Gilbert is sticking with Lotto, based in part on a promise of the "reinforcement of the team around [Gilbert]". ;)

Sergent has certainly moved early on this one, but given Lotto's form this year so far, what do you think about Gilbert's decision?
If they could reinforce the team the way they did for Evans, it would be huge (Popovych, Kohl, Lang,...)
Lotto did a very good job in The Amstel-Gold Race, BTW...

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Building a team around Gilbert, though, would be something that would be relatively easier for a team like Lotto. Gilbert is a classics guy which is more in line with what Lotto wants. Cadel needed a team built for his GC standings in Grand Tours, which would compete against Lotto getting classics guys.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
That's right, indeed Lotto has ever been a good team for Classics or anyway one day races but they ever tried to do something on GT as well, like Lefevre did too.

If they really promised some good riders for next season, then its a good choice.

I was impressed with Gilbert's actions right after the race. He went back through the barriers (see him push security? :D) to thank his teammates.

Reminded me of Boonen with arms up as Pozzato won MSR.

Refreshing compared to some of the sourpuss 'teammates' you see sometimes.

TRENDING THREADS