• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gilbert warned for irregular blood values

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Realist said:
What are you talking about?

This is the sort of thing that gives the clinic a bad name: every single thing is part of a conspiracy, everything can be explained in terms of doping, and you can be 100% sure in every instance. I'm called Realist for a reason. I believe that the vast majority of the peloton doped throughout the last two decades. I also believe it still goes on. But did you ever think maybe Cadel has a virus? Whether or not you are doping, you can get sick, and if you ride at 100% through a virus you can get infected and then inflamed heart muscle and possibly die. So I'm not saying Cadel is clean, or that he is dirty, but that this kind of comment is absurd and unhelpful.

`I am sure the soigneur caught last year with a car full of dope articles was just using it for a hospital in belgium.

I mean Phonak/BMC, they never changed a single thing about their managemen and why would they have to? No issues there, right? :rolleyes:

blackcat said:
Taiwan is right.

But we always heard, and still hear, about PG's ethic. And clean (statust).

Besides Taiwan referencing the Rebellin trilogy in Wallone, forget that, I want to channel Moncoutie as an example. A rider always held out to be cleaner than clean. OK, he has won no classics. But he wins a Vuelta climbing jersey, and can go back to back to back on successive mtn stages to grab points for the jersey.

Gilbert=Moncoutie.

2011 Gilbert, big time program. Career, lesser program.

Moncoutie, lesser program.

just my opinion.
The difference is that Phillipe Gaumont confessed to systematic teamdoping at cofidis, and that everybody at cofidis doped but made clear that there were 2 exceptions to this: Janek Tombak and David Moncoutie.

To me that's just a tad stronger then some people around Gilbert claiming that Gilbert is clean.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
and the thing with Tombak, he was a preferred rider of mine, think a stage Mcewen won, Boonen went across someones front wheel, and then it caused that guy, may have been an AG2R rider, to move so his wheel was not taken out, and I think Tombak ended up taking a fall.

BUT

I think Tombak got caught up in a doping scandal at Mitsubishi Jartazi. Thing is, I like you, believed the line on him.

"Euphemism serves as scar tissue that has formed around guileless trust. ”

blackcat said:
and the thing with Tombak, he was a preferred rider of mine, think a stage Mcewen won, Boonen went across someones front wheel, and then it caused that guy, may have been an AG2R rider, to move so his wheel was not taken out, and I think Tombak ended up taking a fall.

BUT

I think Tombak got caught up in a doping scandal at Mitsubishi Jartazi. Thing is, I like you, believed the line on him.

"Euphemism serves as scar tissue that has formed around guileless trust. ”

What are you talking about? What doping scandal he got caught? I have never heard about it...

Secondly. I have personally asked and talked with Janek Tombak about Moncoutie, about this particular quote of Gaumont and about doping in Cofidis back then. And Tombak said (not exactly) but pretty much the same what Gaumont.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I asked Nelissen on twitter and he said "We were only citing information from Erik Dijkstra, journalist who told this information during "Tour Du Jour" talkshow on dutch RTL4 channel." :)

the past episodes of the show can be streamed online, watching now

additional edit: I think this is the one, unfortunately georestricted. Might try to ask some friends from the Netherlands later on to watch http://www.uitzending.net/gemist/122889/RTL-4/Tour_Du_Jour.html

additional edit 2: no new info that is not yet in this thread, he doesn't name his source, and apparently the guy is not really known for being a cycling insider. Doesn't get denied by the supposedly more knowledgeable journalists at the panel though

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
henryg said:
So you can have a stellar year and just get warned if you have the program right. By the time your performance tanks you have already signed a multi-million Euro deal based on the juiced performance before the warning.

I guess thats why the top classics riders take turns totally dominating the season followed by a steep drop the following year.

Could also be an olympic year , lots dropped out of the tour early and almost everyone that had a great year the years before was no where to be seen at the olympics. As for Gilbert , he just didnt have the punch to stay away after attacks as before , so riding cleaner for the olympics is really tough , its like being transformed into an amateur all of the sudden , and a rider has to think like it . The body doesnt respond the same clean, you just cant do what you do when you are juiced .

:cool:

henryg said:
So you can have a stellar year and just get warned if you have the program right. By the time your performance tanks you have already signed a multi-million Euro deal based on the juiced performance before the warning.

I guess thats why the top classics riders take turns totally dominating the season followed by a steep drop the following year.

I don't know that it's a pump-and-dump scheme. I think most of the riders are aiming for more than one round of glory. I'm repeating myself, but once a rider graduates to podium threat regardless of doping, the chances for a win decline steeply because said rider will have other sticking to his wheel like glue.

Gilbert can't reuse last year's program on top of his status as a podium contender is like riding around with the brakes dragging on a bent wheel.

TRENDING THREADS