• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
And we can always count on airstream to say something different. Airstream is hipster :D
no, i'm just a realist and prefer to be content with it rather than to be happy because of bloody hard stages in order to wonder how stage profiles don't match expectations in may.

proxy.jpg

:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
So you think this route is better than 2010?
mountain part is weaker certainly, but there's a decent flat tt which potentially widens the list of possible contenders. everyone was sated with the climbs this year. it's high time to change something that rcs did.

LaFlorecita said:
And once again I have no idea what you're saying. Oh well.
thats strange. i always understand you despite on having far less knowledge

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Descender said:
I feel like either you don't pay attention to what people tell you or you don't want to pay attention.

Eshnar exposed it very well (for the gazillionth time). It's not (only) about attacking on the descent, it's about variety and balance. A complete rider must be able to climb, to ride on the flat and to descend. And that tour you mentioned succeeded in being a balanced route, in that it exposed the descending weaknesses of certain riders.

You've already made up your mind that descents mean nothing, and you just won't budge no matter how hard reality slaps you in the face.

The Vuelta 2006 was won on a mountain stage finishing after a descent (Granada, Valverde-Vinokourov-Kasheshkin, look it up). In the Giro 2010 we had one of the most exciting stages in the Mortirolo-Aprica day, with the eventual winner attacking and distancing the leader, then almost ruining it all in the descent. That same year, Nibali won the stage and gain time after attacking on a descent. TdF, Gap and Pinerolo stages last year... etcetera, etcetera.

And that's despite the fact that there are so few mountain stages finishing after a descent (or after a descent+easy climb, a là Mortirolo+Aprica or Finestre+Sestriere).

in point of fact, we don't tell each other anything new. perhaps, we are just looking into different things. you are all for exciting racing in any its embodiment and dramaturgy. i'm all for gc grand battles. to me, relatively speaking, to watch who wins from the break garzelli or nieve is interesting in a minimal way. i wasn't saying descents mean nothing. imo, one more proper mtf is preferable instead of a descent stage.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Im satisfied.There is TTT,ITT,MTT,long hilly stage,short mountain stage,long mountain stage...Its better than this year,ofc that 2010 was better:rolleyes:

If you are not satisfied with THIS,so Im looking forward to your posts after Tour course indroduction:D:D:eek:

airstream said:
in point of fact, we don't tell each other anything new. perhaps, we are just looking into different things. you are all for exciting racing in any its embodiment and dramaturgy. i'm all for gc grand battles. to me, relatively speaking, to watch who wins from the break garzelli or nieve is interesting in a minimal way. i wasn't saying descents mean nothing. imo, one more proper mtf is preferable instead of a descent stage.

You have tons of MTFs in every GT. Why on earth would you want yet another MTF instead of one (one!) descent finish?

Better than 2011, and meeting expectations

because

this was meant to be an easier Giro, but the organizers have reduced the length of the Mountain stages rather than reducing the mountain stages or MTF.

Still this looks to be a far better route than the rumored Tour route.

Hugo Koblet said:
I'm a bit torn. I look forward to the Pescara stage, the Firenze stage and stage 20. That's about it.

Not very many stages that are really interesting but on the other hand there aren't many that look truly dull.

Disappointed by the Firenze stage actually.

It was rumoured to be 3x the Worlds' circuit but apparently it's only once.
They could have attracted some classics guys.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Descender said:
You have tons of MTFs in every GT. Why on earth would you want yet another MTF instead of one (one!) descent finish?

Not tons. Even in the Giro we usually have only 3-4 proper MTFs. I'm not against descents and look up to them, but everyone realizes say the thing Vino did back then in the Vuelta happens maybe once a decade. Well, let's better stop arguing anyways. In the end, it's the matter of personal preferences, not one's rightness.