• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2014 sprints

May 31, 2013
Visit site
***** Kittel

*** Bouhanni , Viviani

** Nizzolo, Farrar, Matthews, Swift, Mezgec, EBH

* Ventoso, Ferrari, Appollonio, Belleti, Avila, Oss, Ratto, Dehaes ....

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Hoping that Viviani can do well, he's been looking in good form. And if Kittel doesn't stay through the whole Giro (and I doubt he will) he has a good chance of bringing home the points jersey.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Belkov, Caruso, Gusev, Losada, Daniel Moreno, Paolini, Vicioso and Vorganov will be the team around "Purito" Rodríguez for @giroditalia

So Moreno works for Purito in giro and a good team for his GT win bid:)

Anybody who knows if Matthews is planning to ride the full three weeks?
Could be a big contender for the maglia rosso, but he may also ride the Tour and in that case he could well quit after a week or two....

Ruvu75 said:
Anybody who knows if Matthews is planning to ride the full three weeks?
Could be a big contender for the maglia rosso, but he may also ride the Tour and in that case he could well quit after a week or two....

Interesting question really with Mathews and Goss the two who would be in contention for the sprint position. Goss seems to be out of favour but they may be taking him through California rather than the Giro this year to see if he can hit the TdF harder. Mathews is in great form though but I would rather see him fight out a full Giro and see how he goes for stage wins and possibly the sprint jersey.

My OGE riders so far for the TdF would be Gerrans, Hayman, Impey, Albasini and Clarke. Even though it must be tempting to put Adam Yates in, I think they will give him some more time and put in one of the sprinters with a lead out....possibly Howard/Mathews or Howard/Goss. Leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

From todays article on CN:

"Matthews will be challenging the likes of Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) on the flat stages as he looks to gain a spot on the Tour de France team in July.

"Michael will be targeting a lot of the stages in the first two weeks of the race" said White. "He's going to face some stiff competition, but we're confident that he will really benefit from this experience. With the teams support, he's up for the challenge."

Sounds a bit like he will likely abandon after 2 weeks, but will be interesting for sure as he would indeed be a strong contender for the pointsjersey if he finishes the race, and for a rider like him that should still mean a lot, but ofcourse so will a TDF start. I suppose they will first make a final decision during the race.

Wilba60 said:
My OGE riders so far for the TdF would be Gerrans, Hayman, Impey, Albasini and Clarke. Even though it must be tempting to put Adam Yates in, I think they will give him some more time and put in one of the sprinters with a lead out....possibly Howard/Mathews or Howard/Goss. Leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

I hope they leave the Yates brothers away from GT's this season, however if they wanted them to do one then the Vuelta would be more suited.

SafeBet said:
Sonny's better than most 2 star riders listed here.
He might even fight for point jersey.

Sonny is not that fast after an easy flat stage. Dont think he will compete for the point jersey they might even give Ruffoni a shot at the flat stages (although think they will all go for themselves) and for the hilly stages they got Battaglin and Colbrelli himself then.

I made a sprinters + point jersey preview if anyone is interested: http://www.cyclingupdates.com/giro-sprinters-point-classification/

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Read that Viviani wants to do well for the first 10 days, does that mean he plan not to finish the giro? Would think he has a good chance to win the points jersey.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Sonny's better than most 2 star riders listed here.
He might even fight for point jersey.

Beter in what way? He's definitely not faster. At best he might be equal to Swift, he should be still slightly quicker on flat than Sonny.

And there's not many finishes at Giro that suit him that great.