• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Giro 2017 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2017
157
0
3,830
Visit site
Guys, who are the "unknown" riders that you think might do good in this years Giro? Like Fernandez and Cort last Vuelta. Any young sprinters waiting for a big breakthrough?
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Disappointing Orica squad

Injuries are the issue - Impey and Cort broke their collarbones in the last week, while Durbridge is recovering from broken ribs in PR and Keukeliere has suffered since Gent Werelgem in which he pulled out Panne, Ronde De Vlanderen and never started Yorkshire - In saying that I would have chosen Gerrans for the Giro.
 
Looking through the roster, am I right in saying that so far, the climbing depth apart from the 15-20 best riders is pretty mediocre? I mean, the Giro has an amazing field GC-wise, but its really obvious that there is an even bigger goal down the line of many teams - just look at Orica, Lotto NL, Trek etc. And honestly, I think thats really good.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Looking through the roster, am I right in saying that so far, the climbing depth apart from the 15-20 best riders is pretty mediocre? I mean, the Giro has an amazing field GC-wise, but its really obvious that there is an even bigger goal down the line of many teams - just look at Orica, Lotto NL, Trek etc. And honestly, I think thats really good.

Think some of the teams are trying to balance GC and sprint priorities - Hence this affects the depth of climbers -Finally some teams now realise that you only need 2 or 3 climbers to support a GC rider.
 
Re:

Kafviar said:
Guys, who are the "unknown" riders that you think might do good in this years Giro? Like Fernandez and Cort last Vuelta. Any young sprinters waiting for a big breakthrough?

I have hopes for Felix Großschartner. Stages, KoM Points or Top 15 would be my guess and I'm expecting the first two. With Hirt also there they could team up against crazy Pirazzi and get a stage. I don't see them (CCC, Hirt in particular) doing a Top 10 in GC this year with their TT abilities and the field but they should be very active in the mountains.
 
Re: Re:

liamito said:
Armchair cyclist said:
And LottoNL support Kruijswijk with:
Stef Clement
Twan Castelijns
Jos van Emden
Bram Tankink
Victor Campenaerts
Enrico Battaglin
Jurgen van den Broeck
Martijn Keizer

You'd say at least one out of Bennett, Gesink, Roglic should have been included.

Agree. Are all of them going to the Tour for stage wins? I would have replaced Castelijns with Roglic or Bennet and maybe Tankink as well.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Gazprom-RusVelo:
FOLIFOROV Alexander
FIRSANOV Sergey
SAVITSKIY Ivan
BRUTT Pavel
LAGUTIN Sergey
SHALUNOV Evgeny
ROVNY Ivan
TSATEVICH Alexey
KOZONCHUK Dmitry

Foliforov will be he team leader and apparetly he's riding for gc.
 
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Gazprom-RusVelo:
FOLIFOROV Alexander
FIRSANOV Sergey
SAVITSKIY Ivan
BRUTT Pavel
LAGUTIN Sergey
SHALUNOV Evgeny
ROVNY Ivan
TSATEVICH Alexey
KOZONCHUK Dmitry

Foliforov will be he team leader and apparetly he's riding for gc.

Pretty good team for a 2nd level team. Both Foliforov and Lagutin won GT stages last year, better than some World Tour teams. :lol:
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

deValtos said:
Mayomaniac said:
Gazprom-RusVelo:
FOLIFOROV Alexander
FIRSANOV Sergey
SAVITSKIY Ivan
BRUTT Pavel
LAGUTIN Sergey
SHALUNOV Evgeny
ROVNY Ivan
TSATEVICH Alexey
KOZONCHUK Dmitry

Foliforov will be he team leader and apparetly he's riding for gc.

Pretty good team for a 2nd level team. Both Foliforov and Lagutin won GT stages last year, better than some World Tour teams. :lol:
Yes, on paper it's a pretty good team. Vorobyev could ave done something in the 2 TTs, maybe they could have pickd him instead of Kozonchuk, but that's just my opinion.

Ciccone already rode into somwhat decent shape in Croatia, 16th on the queenstage and 14th on gc, but I dont have high expectations for him.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
FDJ

Thibaut Pinot
William Bonnet
Matthieu Ladagnous
Tobias Ludvigsson
Steve Morabito
Rudy Molard
Sébastien Reichenbach
Jérémy Roy
Benoit Vaugrenard
That's a good squad to support Pinot.
 
Cannondale:
Screen-Shot-2017-05-02-at-15.29.08.png

Some little surprises: Koren and Howes riding while Bettiol and Clarke not. I hope they'll animate the mountain stages.