• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Katusha:
Ilnur ZAKARIN (RUS), Maxim BELKOV (RUS), José GONÇALVES (POR), Robert KIŠERLOVSKI (CRO), Pavel KOCHETKOV (RUS), Viacheslav KUZNETSOV (RUS), Alberto LOSADA (ESP), Matvey MAMYKIN (RUS), Angel VICIOSO (ESP)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Leffe_Bruin said:
Katusha:
Ilnur ZAKARIN (RUS), Maxim BELKOV (RUS), José GONÇALVES (POR), Robert KIŠERLOVSKI (CRO), Pavel KOCHETKOV (RUS), Viacheslav KUZNETSOV (RUS), Alberto LOSADA (ESP), Matvey MAMYKIN (RUS), Angel VICIOSO (ESP)
Taaramäe not riding the Giro is a bit of a surprise, at the start of the season he was supposed to ride the Giro as a climbin domestique and TdS as a protected rider, probabl alonside Spilak.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Leffe_Bruin said:
Katusha:
Taaramäe not riding the Giro is a bit of a surprise, at the start of the season he was supposed to ride the Giro as a climbin domestique and TdS as a protected rider, probabl alonside Spilak.

Taaramae has been riding so horible bad all season that I suppose it made no sence to put him in the Giro now. Hopefully now he can find some form for the Tour or Vuelta.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow with that team from Cannondale they might, might, just finally get that elusive world tour win. Get in every break in the mountains and I think they should be able to pick one up. Then again ...

Solid team from Katusha, better support for Zak than Orica/Lotto.

Vesica said:
Vroome.exe said:
Not the best leadout for Gaviria, but it's even better for him I think, because most certaintly he will go too early if Richeze is at the front.

Not the best lead-out? With Keisse, Martinelli and Richeze. What would you expect more?

Keisse is often doing work early in the race, I don't remember when he was in the leadout. Richeze is world class in this area, but I'm not so sure about Martinelli, he might be too weak for this competition. And Gaviria needs much more than 3 teammates dedicated for him, but only Devenyns could do something on the flat.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Vroome.exe said:
Vesica said:
Vroome.exe said:
Not the best leadout for Gaviria, but it's even better for him I think, because most certaintly he will go too early if Richeze is at the front.

Not the best lead-out? With Keisse, Martinelli and Richeze. What would you expect more?

Keisse is often doing work early in the race, I don't remember when he was in the leadout. Richeze is world class in this area, but I'm not so sure about Martinelli, he might be too weak for this competition. And he needs much more than 3 teammates dedicated for him, but only Devenyns could do something on the flat.
MArtinelli did the same job for Kittel in Dubai, so the level of competition shouldn't be a problem for him, but the guy has never ridden a gt before, that could be a problem.

Vroome.exe said:
Vesica said:
Vroome.exe said:

Keisse is often doing work early in the race, I don't remember when he was in the leadout. Richeze is world class in this area, but I'm not so sure about Martinelli, he might be too weak for this competition. And Gaviria needs much more than 3 teammates dedicated for him, but only Devenyns could do something on the flat.

None of the teams with sprinters have strong lead-outs because they are looking at GC.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Wilier: Pozzato, Amezqueta, Belletti, Busato, Godoy, Koshevoy, Mareczko, Martinez, Rodriguez.

Not according to what Willier announced 4 hours before you posted this:
Pozzato, Amezqueta, , Busato, Koshevoy, Mareczko, Martinez, Rodriguez, Fonzi, Zhupa (not Belletti or Godoy)

Not that it'll make much difference to the results.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Tejay said that he didn't do any type of train at altitude. Another failure is coming soon... how the hell was this guy leader of bmc for 4 years...

Re:

portugal11 said:
Tejay said that he didn't do any type of train at altitude. Another failure is coming soon... how the hell was this guy leader of bmc for 4 years...

What has altitude training to do with doing well in the GC? This rumor is quite persistent. Just look at for instance Jungels last year who didn't do any specific training before and ended up 6th (in a weaker field, but still).

Akuryo said:
portugal11 said:

What has altitude training to do with doing well in the GC? This rumor is quite persistent. Just look at for instance Jungels last year who didn't do any specific training before and ended up 6th (in a weaker field, but still).

Jungels trained in Sierra Nevada before last year's Giro. Better example is Dumoulin who did no specific altitude training for Vuelta 2015. But in my opinion skipping altitude camp before a GT is a major setback.

Re:

portugal11 said:

Yes BMC have sent no one to altitude this year or even to a training camp ....seems to be working for them so far but wonder at their decision for TJ

SK sprent 3 weeks at altitiude and of course Quintana was at altitiude at home .and Thomas was in an altitude camp also in April

Maybe TJ doesnt get any benefit from altitude training

HelloDolly said:
portugal11 said:

Yes BMC have sent no one to altitude this year or even to a training camp ....seems to be working for them so far but wonder at their decision for TJ

SK sprent 3 weeks at altitiude and of course Quintana was at altitiude at home .and Thomas was in an altitude camp also in April

It doesn't seem like TJ gets any benefit from training altogether. Or perhaps he doesn't train and that's the issue :D

HelloDolly said:
portugal11 said:

Is that even physically/biologically possible?
Yeah, I too sense another GT fail with this guy.

Armchair cyclist said:
SafeBet said:
Wilier: Pozzato, Amezqueta, Belletti, Busato, Godoy, Koshevoy, Mareczko, Martinez, Rodriguez.

Not according to what Willier announced 4 hours before you posted this:
Pozzato, Amezqueta, , Busato, Koshevoy, Mareczko, Martinez, Rodriguez, Fonzi, Zhupa (not Belletti or Godoy)

Not that it'll make much difference to the results.
You're right. I thought the Giro website was updated but obviously not.