• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 8: Molfetta - Peschici 189km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Why does Conti get the same time as Izagirre??
Apparently it wasn't considered a HTF. It wasn't categorised so that makes sense.

That he has the same time as some of his group makes sense, but why Izagirre rather than Visconti or Sanchez? His GC times are irrelevant, but it is odd that he gains relative to 2/3 of his companions.

Armchair cyclist said:
Brullnux said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Apparently it wasn't considered a HTF. It wasn't categorised so that makes sense.

That he has the same time as some of his group makes sense, but why Izagirre rather than Visconti or Sanchez? His GC times are irrelevant, but it is odd that he gains relative to 2/3 of his companions.
Technicalities probably. Not that it really matters as they were all stage hunting.

rick james said:
HelloDolly said:
Brian Smith on ES saying SKY is all for Thomas ....that is why Landa attacked ????
I hope is wrong, landa has a better chance than Thomas, and I like Thomas.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-stage-8-finish-line-quotes/
Bob Jungels (Quick-Step Floors) - race leader,
"[Did you expect the attack from Landa?] No, not really. It was also an attack to keep the other teams a little bit challenged, because it was a long way to go until the final, especially with the downhill. It was more to keep the other teams pulling so Geraint Thomas could stay in the wheels."
Schneeky! :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

rick james said:
HelloDolly said:
Brian Smith on ES saying SKY is all for Thomas ....that is why Landa attacked ????

Landa is a 2nd card, that's obvious after today. You don't attack in stage like this, where gain could be minimal, and before a hard stage like tomorrow's. If team ordered it, he's the clear #2. If he attacked on his own, well it wasn't smartest thing to do...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Smart by Gorka. Really nice win for him! He has taken a step up this year.

A little disappointed that an attacking rider like Dumoulin didnt join in with Landa, 1 man wasn't enough.
Instead of that he had Kelderhamster working for him to keep the gap under control...
That wa a really good stage and fun to watch, a proper Giro stage.

AlexNYC said:
movingtarget said:
Brullnux said:
movingtarget said:
rick james said:
On the Eurosport commentary can anyone also here the female Colombian commenter always taking in the back ground?

I think it's the Italian woman who is always on the finish line. You can hear her at different points of the commentary. She is part of the Giro organization I think. The Eurosport commentators are calling the race from the finish as far as I know that's why her voice seems so loud in the background.
She's speaking Spanish, not Italian

Well it seems to be the same woman every year so she must work for the Giro organizers.

I wonder if you're talking about Goga. She's Mexican and one of the most popular cycling announcers in Latin America. I believe she's working for a Colombian network this year, but she used to work for ESPN.
Goga Sandoval, I find that woman kind of annoying.

Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:
Ikbengodniet said:

No, it doesn't make sense. At best he should get Lulu's time

It makes sense considering the rules of the sport, not considering logic or other other things. If someone is dropped in a sprint finish of a group of 60 in the final km for example, anyone who crashes before then gets the same time as the front rider of the group that they were in, or the group with most people I don't know the rules closely but I understand why this is the case. Today they didn't matter, but if they were GC contenders then it could've caused trouble.

Mr.White said:
rick james said:
HelloDolly said:

Landa is a 2nd card, that's obvious after today. You don't attack in stage like this, where gain could be minimal, and before a hard stage like tomorrow's. If team ordered it, he's the clear #2. If he attacked on his own, well it wasn't smartest thing to do...
Agree. It looks clear after today.

Tonton said:
Yes, solid win for Gorka.

Strong FDJ team. Pinot good descent and 6th place.

First real explanation for the GC tomorrow...
I don't know if Blockhaus is going to show us anything with the defensive nature of the GC contenders have shown thus far. If there's any kind of headwind at all they won't come out from behind the wheels until maybe the finale.

I hope I'm wrong...