• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 20, Alpago-Bassano del Grappa, 184 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Teddy apparently wants the stage win so expect lift-off second time up the climb.

If they slow down too much (that is the others) the first time they go up and it feels to slow for him to achieve the training effort he wants. It's only like a 85k solo he'd have to do with half of it being downhill. Also if he's alone no one bothers him descending. Would be a bit ridiculous but I wouldn't rule it out.

Alternative scenario: he just pedals away softly (not with a big attack) and someone can follow, he works with that someone until the second climb, and whoever it is ofc get's dropped eventually but also is dragged to the podium in the meantime. Whoever that someone would be, it' wouldn't gonna be Thomas.

Last edited:
I'd find it kinda cool if Pogacar manages to break the 10 minute gc barrier. Who was the last rider to do so? In any case, it would be a fitting end to this Giro.
Feels like this is one of those "we just make up narratives to care about this stage as we go" targets. Nobody questions that he could have won by 10 minutes if he wanted to anyway.

I think any solo on the 2nd Grappa barely moves the needle for this Giro at all.

Reactions: topcat
Feels like this is one of those "we just make up narratives to care about this stage as we go" targets. Nobody questions that he could have won by 10 minutes if he wanted to anyway.

I think any solo on the 2nd Grappa barely moves the needle for this Giro at all.
[content deleted]

Yes Pog was a big favorite, but it is a feat of a real campionissimo to deliver in the way he has. Keep trying to not acknowledge it though. Blame it on everyone else.

[content deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Vudy
1m5ZTCA.jpeg

Reactions: Sandisfan

Would still be the first time in the Giro in almost 60 years. Of course it's a narrative that comes up as we go, and sort of all narratives to care about a stage are "as we go" as long if it's not about the Profile. Most significance is part of a narrative that we just spin, while we are spinning it (or it spins itself between us), and in this case it's a nice round number that hasn't been achieved in a long time. "He could have if x" is a very different statement to "He did x". So overall I don't understand your complaint.

It would be another tale to tell, depending on what happens on the stage (as we go), and the way we'll look back at it will determine if it moves the needle or not. And with respect to the 10 minute narrative it quite obviously would move the needle somewhat, namely to that gap.

Last edited: