• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 3, Novara-Fossano, 166 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I meant contest for the podium but probably worded that wrong.

Before the stage I thought it was a finish more suited to guys like Milan, Girmay or Groves instead of Merlier, Jakobsen or Ewan but Merlier pleasantly surprised me.
Merlier spent the past month on Mt Teide, which probably helped.

He went there on family vacation, by the way, which I thought was an interesting approach. Him and Edward Theuns both brought their girlfriend/wife and kid.

He‘s definitely on my list of people who should become a DS for entertainment purposes.
He would probably be one of the worst DS's in the peloton.
Attack! Faster! Why are you riding so slow?!

If Pogacar attacks with the energy and drive of that theme, then he would finish dead last.

This is what you're looking for, and i pity the fool who thinks otherwise:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAO2JBjRRBk

Pleasantly suprised by how good todays stage was but, Pogačar is going to destroy himself before the Tour. It's really entertaining but if he wants to do the double he needs to be more conservative, he can literally win this race in zone 2 FFS.
it's not like he went for another 80km solo. This was just a town line sprint at the end of a coffee ride

Did he actually say that or did you just decide that was the case, though?
No just IMO, it played a big part in him cracking on the Granon. He was literally sprinting at the end of every stage in the first 10 days. He almost had the feeling of invincibility, and burnt too many matches, it doesn't matter how strong he is, if he constantly races like a junior in the Giro, it'll punish him in July.

Merlier is just so strong in the first sprint stages of a Grand Tour, nice of him to remember Weylandt too. Milan with another second place in a Giro sprint (his fifth already) and good to see Girmay up there too.

As for Pogačar this is obviously entertaining but for someone that wants to win both the Giro and the Tour in the same season this is the kind of efforts that he shouldn't probably be doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedheadDane
No just IMO, it played a big part in him cracking on the Granon. He was literally sprinting at the end of every stage in the first 10 days. He almost had the feeling of invincibility, and burnt too many matches, it doesn't matter how strong he is, if he constantly races like a junior in the Giro, it'll punish him in July.
ok but I think Pog is training and racing with a power meter and his performance coaches are keeping an eye on TSS & CTL/ATL and will tell him how much he's allowed to spend on random days like today.

Reactions: bNator and SHAD0W93