• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024, Stage 4 Acqui Terme-Andora, 190 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nothing against Groves, but i'm happy Milan took it. The team worked for it, he was the strongest and deserved it. Merlier is the only one who might have been as strong, but he had to launch his sprint 10m back and make a detour with his face in the wind, at the moment Milan starts his sprint. Kooij was actually in a good position to overtake Milan at one point, but clearly lacks the top speed here. But he's still young, and someone like Philipsen at that age, still made huge improvements. Ewan finding out Lotto wasn't the problem.

Ewan specifically requested Mezgec join his team at the last minute. This created a problem because Mezgec was preparing for the TDF and the Vuelta and I suspect is underdone. Meza has not been able to place Ewan in position in the last km in the two sprint stages. In saying that, I doubt Ewan is fast enough to win a stage. Ewan's designated lead-out rider Stewart will be leading out Groenewegen at the Tour of Hungary. Finally, it will be no surprise if Ewan retires this year if he can not find form.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Ewan mentioned split priorities but he was referring to riders who support him in the final which is primarily Mezgec, Walscheid and Hepburn as the rest of the team are not part of a sprint train.. Anyway the Jayco team was changed at the last minute for Giro. Dunbar was not going to the Giro after his performance at Romandie but then was reinstated after Plapp was below expectations at Romandie , then you have Mezgec being called in at the last minute and being under-prepared for the Giro. Anyway the teams performance so far in 2024 has been below expectations. In saying that they are still a chance to win a Giro stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Stages like the last couple just continue to remind me how much more entertaining the sport has been of late. So much attacking, so little conservative, boring riding dominated by a single team.

Such an improvement over the stranglehold era of Postal/Sky. Yes, there are a few riders who are so dominant as to make some of the races boring, but the day-to-day racing in the GT's is a breath of fresh air for this old fan.

GM_TkP7XUAAW0mD

Incredible, Kittels all-time peak power was 1,940w for 3 seconds at 89-90 kg

I think Milan weighs about 85kg?

GM_TkP7XUAAW0mD

Incredible, Kittels all-time peak power was 1,940w for 3 seconds at 89-90 kg

I think Milan weighs about 85kg?

Honestly I think Milan currently weighs a bit more than the 84kg that is listed on PCS but could be wrong.

Its incredible to see a road sprinter reaching almost 2000 watts after 190km, even a very big one like Milan, track sprinters were doing around 2100-2200 watts during the Champions League last year.

Genuinely surprised that Groves was the sprinter that came closer to him.

Reactions: Tim Cahill
Pls tell me his power meter is overreading cause those numbers are absolute bonkers. He actually is the new Kittel then, or just better cause he's better uphill.

Genuinely surprised that Groves was the sprinter that came closer to him.

Came out of the draft the latest. Merlier was faster for a sec too but exploded, then Groves came. It's like you can be faster for a few seconds, but Milan can hold that speed (those watts).