• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 13: Riccione – Cento, 179.0k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disappointed that it is only a 179km stage. Should have been at least 230km with full coverage from the start.
In fact I would love to watch this. I love variety.

But as we're speaking, why not 300k?

299.5k of robber stories from a distant past, served by long-retired pro cyclists, situated in a mixed pot commentator box of history-interested co-narrators and deep-sleep-deprived main commentators, without any sign of eagerness in their voices, just reporting an endless series of irrelevant facts, not to forgett the hypnotic "flop-flop-flop" of the TV helicopters.

Then suddenly raise of the guiding voices to hysterical heights for the last 500 meters, so that you fall off the sofa with tongue caught in your throat, and just have time to get your eyes back and catch sight of the last 50 meters sprint.

And suddenly it's all over.

We're back to Early 90ies Vuelta spring highs in open dystopian desert landscales on 8 lane straight highways.

It won't get any better - when it finally has to be.

Nota Bene:
However, in fact this stretch do have a vague "risk" of not being a borefest.
I have experienced The Po Valley suddenly becoming insidious with strong winds.
But ok, maybe a rarity at this time of year, I think? (haven't exactly skimmed the forecast here, I must admit.)

Edit:
Oh, how lucky can a man get! In writing moments just got an unexpected "yes" from the boss to take off for today. A perfect sunny day around me, but I simply CAN'T miss this exciting stage :)

Last edited:
Nota Bene:
However, in fact this stretch do have a vague "risk" of not being a borefest.
I have experienced The Po Valley suddenly becoming insidious with strong winds.
But ok, maybe a rarity at this time of year, I think? (haven't exactly skimmed the forecast here, I must admit.)
OK, so not exactly conditions for split formations today in the region.
laX5HGb.jpg

Julian from the break.
he now leads the "TV" intermediate sprint classification, so obviously needs to defend that.

The wind seems to mainly head/cross today, so the general interested in an early attack looks likely to be small. Riders somewhat interested may be Piotrobon, leading the "Premio Fuga Generale" of most kilometers in the breakaway, and Fiorelli, who is 1st in the Intergiro classification, and up there in all others as well.

So many riders won't do *** the next two days and don't have a teammate that can win today. Cofidis, Arkea, FdJ, Intermarché, Israel should have put a rider in the break. There are not many opportunities left, and being in the break today doesn't kill you.

I really wonder if the DS are waiting for stronger winds later in the stage to attack. otherwise the break went away with noone even trying. Arkea, Israel, Intermarché should be in the break!

Reactions: Sandisfan
So many riders won't do *** the next two days and don't have a teammate that can win today. Cofidis, Arkea, FdJ, Intermarché, Israel should have put a rider in the break. There are not many opportunities left, and being in the break today doesn't kill you.
It‘s hard to even get a gap on the flat with multiple teams being told to not let a big group go, so you‘d need a plan to somehow trick the sprinters‘ squads or something.

Reactions: Sandisfan