• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 6, Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180km

From @Devil's Elbow‘s write-up:

Stage 6: Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180.0k​

“Can we have a sterrato stage in the Giro this year?”

“We have a sterrato stage at home!”

The sterrato stage:

The route

5Um3J9R0fP9R7dXzkZOL_240424-080258.jpg

2jquFrFhMGlITBJjBOUA_240424-080119.jpg

Look, I know I have a reputation for complaining too much about routes, but I’m sure you’ll forgive me for saying this stage is ***. A sterrato stage should have more than 11.6k of sterrato – for comparison, Monte Sante Marie on its own is 11.5k. Speaking of Monte Sante Marie, they literally pass by the start of it at 11k to go. Just to give you an idea of what this stage could should have been like, rather than the two-star stage we actually have.

The start is just down the road from Lucca in Torre del Lago Puccini, a random seaside suburb of Viareggio, where Magnus Cort won a very cold and wet stage last year. The route just about avoids every town and city about which I’d have had something interesting in the way of culture or cycling to tell. Instead, it directly through the valleys to the start of the day’s first KOM, to Volterra, already a significant town in the Etruscan and Roman eras. Its 4.8% average does not impress, although it has some decent ramps.

volterra-montebrandoni.png

After Volterra, the terrain is more rolling, but never hard. Then, we enter the Crete Senesi, of course famous for its white roads we are mostly avoiding today. That being said, the first two sectors – Vidritta and Bagnaia, together effectively 9.2k of sterrato interrupted by 700 metres of asphalt – could do some damage. These sectors are the first two on the route of the actual Strade Bianche, although they only use the first half of Vidritta in that race. Bagnaia is much the harder, and contains the second and final KOM, to Grotti. The first 3.3k of the profile below are the final 3.3k of the sector.

grotti-alto-bagnaia.png

At the end of the sector, there are 40 kilometres left to race, and most of those are spent bypassing sectors used in Strade Bianche – it’s not just Monte Sante Marie, the Intergiro sprint in Monteroni d’Arbia is very close to the start of San Martino in Grania, which runs parallel to the actual route. The sole bit of sterrato we do get is the short Pievina. You can’t really tell from the profile, but the final 900 metres are uphill.

pievina-castelrenieri.png

From there, it’s a rather direct route to the finish in Rapolano Terme, the sole detour having been added after the initial presentation to include the little wall at Serre di Rapolano. Hidden in its 1.1k at 8.4% is the final 200-metre, 19% wall. The summit comes at just 4.2k to go. The remainder is rolling, with a little dig of 350 metres at 6.3% up to the flamme rouge and a tiny ramp of 6%, reminiscent of the Wandelaar finishes in Koksijde, to the line.

fS9dpSP1afpCdJOlZDzi_170424-082419.jpg

Epdc5F7QXqoHUdsbQFXD_170424-082338.jpg

Rapolano Terme would have been a rather nondescript town in most settings, but not here. It may not be one of the most historically beautiful Tuscan towns, but it makes up for it with the thermal springs that have been added to its name as well as its position at the entrance of the Crete Senesi.

Casa_rurale_nel_Deserto_di_Accona.jpg

What to expect?

Half the peloton to survive the sterrati, only the strongest to make it over the wall, but with small enough gaps that things could come together for a (significantly) reduced bunch sprint. The breakaway also has a good chance here.

How closely have you been following Milan this year? He did some pretty sick things in Valencia, climbing-wise. But yeah, if the GC riders will play ball, he isn't going to be there, and in all likelihood it will just be a sprint stage.
The way I see it sterrato makes it a more nervous stage driving the pace up all day, and the final hill is close enough and hard enough for Pogacar to just launch it if the stage victory is up for grabs.

The weakness of UAE should make me reasses that Pog winning is the most likely scenario, but in case of no breakaway, Pog is the only answer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
How closely have you been following Milan this year? He did some pretty sick things in Valencia, climbing-wise. But yeah, if the GC riders will play ball, he isn't going to be there, and in all likelihood it will just be a sprint stage.

That was my point as well. Besides, GC riders have 2 GC stages in a row, so no real reason to go deep tomorrow.
However, with Pogacar you never know

The way I see it sterrato makes it a more nervous stage driving the pace up all day, and the final hill is close enough and hard enough for Pogacar to just launch it if the stage victory is up for grabs.

The weakness of UAE should make me reasses that Pog winning is the most likely scenario, but in case of no breakaway, Pog is the only answer.

Yeah okay, I hadn't really noticed how close the final hill was to the finish (or how steep it was). Then I agree.

We all know what happened at SB, so if UAE don't ride like mad men to launch His Poginess, then it'll be a surprise. A big breakaway I'd think but unlikely to get the stage win. Will Pogi worry about the TT? Nah, he recovers in a hour so no problemos.

It's sad it's only 11km of gravel. But, Pogi only needed about that much gravel before he unleashed beast mode and went solo for 80km in Strade this year, most of it was still to come. No reason why he can't go for a long solo this time too!

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's sad it's only 11km of gravel. But, Pogi only needed about that much gravel before he unleashed beast mode and went solo for 80km in Strade this year, most of it was still to come. No reason why he can't go for a long solo this time too!

I mean, he could probably, but I really think he won't do this just before a TT and a MTF coming the days after. On the other hand who knows, it's Pogacar.