• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 8: Spoleto – Prati di Tivo, 152.0k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if Caruso is recovered well enough to join the break today. Bardet, Vansevenant, Quintana and Alaphilippe might have a go as well. And why not send Ganna to take revenge for yesterday?
If I was Ineos DS I would be trying to get Ganna and Sheffield or Narvaez in the break with Arensman.

Decathlon AG2R should be able to cause some chaos and get decent climbers up the road for tactical advantage or state win attempt depending how the race develops behind.

I suspect UAE won’t try to control too heavily and will only really shut down any move by Martinez.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If I was Ineos DS I would be trying to get Ganna and Sheffield or Narvaez in the break with Arensman.

Decathlon AG2R should be able to cause some chaos and get decent climbers up the road for tactical advantage or state win attempt depending how the race develops behind.

I suspect UAE won’t try to control too heavily and will only really shut down any move by Martinez.
Too early in the race for Arensman I fear.

AG2R could get Alex Baudin into the pink jersey if UAE wants to lose the jersey!

I think Pogačar will try to win either this or stage 10. The latter is easier to control though so I think this one will go to the breakaway.

Ineos should learn from last year and try to put Arensmsn in the breakaway. I don't think they will do it though so Rubio for the win.

There should still be some attacks in the GC group, I think riders like O'Connor, Uijtdebroeks and even Martinez should try to test Thomas to see if yesterday was just a bad day or if he is really fading. Pogačar will probably still drop all these.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
If Pog has a bad day, it needs to be later in the race, with maybe not too big of a lead. If he has a bad day early in the race, he will just claw the lost time back later on. I think he needs to crack over a couple of days for it to have any impact on GC. His rivals just need to stay within striking distance in the hope he cracks at some point. He has got into their heads that they are playing for the leftovers in this race. They can only hope things change.

If Pog has a bad day, it needs to be later in the race, with maybe not too big of a lead. If he has a bad day early in the race, he will just claw the lost time back later on. I think he needs to crack over a couple of days for it to have any impact on GC. His rivals just need to stay within striking distance in the hope he cracks at some point. He has got into their heads that they are playing for the leftovers in this race. They can only hope things change.

If he happens to have two good days on the next two MTFs only a god can save them.

Pellizzari's first GT stage win
Would be Bardiani's first Giro stage win since 2016.
Back then it was an up and coming climber (Ciccone) winning on an Appennine climb (Sestola) so yeah, it would make sense.

Tiberi reconned the climb to Prati di Tivo the day after LBL and told me he likes it a lot (perfect gradients for his characteristics). If he's really aiming at a top5 this is the day to prove it.

No one close to Vingo's level nor do we have a team that can do what Visma can do. Ineos can be good but not that good, and is Thomas as good as last year?
Infact thinking about it, it was Kuss who actually pulled away with Vingegaard on his wheel on stage 5 last year. People wondered if Pogacar was ill as he and the whole UAE team had been sat at the back of the peloton in the previous stages. That day a strong break had raced away (Hindley et al) and it seemed like UAE had burnt up all their matches trying to keep the break on a short leash.

Reactions: SHAD0W93