• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro del Trentino 2013

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bernie's eyesore said:
Also, Nibali was forced to attack much earlier than he would have done as he had to go before Wiggins bridged back. Without the mechanical we would have seen a much different race and Bouet may have had a chance of holding on to the overall.

You seem to be suggesting Wiggins mechanical made things more difficult for Nibs, bit of a reach, bud.

JimmyFingers said:
Siutsou let it all hang out on Wednesday to take the stage win, deserved after a season marred by injury but I suggested that it would hurt him for the rest of the race.

Well, yes he obviously didn't recover from that effort but that's the point really, Sky's riders have quite often this season not ''backed up'' their efforts in stage races.

JRanton said:
He was potentially having problems even right at the start of the climb. What's he doing riding so far back in the bunch on the climbs, did it on Wednesday too?

Yes, he did it on Wednesday too, when he finished very comfortably with Nibali. He smoothly accelerated everytime he needed to and was in 8th or 9th when the bike packed in. You're really reaching to say he looked poor before the mechanical.

You may have noticed they never went for a train too. Expect the same in the Giro?

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Yes, he did it on Wednesday too, when he finished very comfortably with Nibali. He smoothly accelerated everytime he needed to and was in 8th or 9th when the bike packed in. You're really reaching to say he looked poor before the mechanical.

You may have noticed they never went for a train too. Expect the same in the Giro?
Wow!! i agree with Mr. Waterloo Sunrise.

very entertaining ascent. astana looks super strong,i'm happy with this

i expected wiggo to not be so strong here if he wants to win il giro and then ride le tour too. expected a little bit more from sivtsov though

chapeau to nibali! too bad for santambroggio,again second...he will have lots of opportunities in il giro
good edition of trentino again

Bernie's eyesore said:
Also, Nibali was forced to attack much earlier than he would have done as he had to go before Wiggins bridged back. Without the mechanical we would have seen a much different race and Bouet may have had a chance of holding on to the overall.

rkp5097 said:
You seem to be suggesting Wiggins mechanical made things more difficult for Nibs, bit of a reach, bud.

I don't see that Bernie is suggesting that at all. Seems clear to me - exactly as I said earlier - no Wiggins mechanical and we would have seen a different pace than the drive Nibali rightly put in, all meaning Bouet would have had more chance of hanging onto GC IMHO. Taking nothing away from a great ride by Nibali of course.

Waterloo Sunrise said:

But why do it anyway? I'm not suggesting it showed weakness, but it wastes energy as you have to move round people dropping back and making up a bit more ground when the attacks start. It's just not how you ride on a climb when you're a major contender.

They didn't go for a train because the team wasn't good enough. Suitsou obviously could have pulled very hard on Wednesday but their tactics indicated to me that they knew the team wasn't strong enough for that. Cataldo wasn't good in this race and they have pretty much nobody else who can be a factor on the final climb.

JRanton said:
But why do it anyway? I'm not suggesting it showed weakness, but it wastes energy as you have to move round people dropping back and making up a bit more ground when the attacks start. It's just not how you ride on a climb when you're a major contender.

I don't think he cares for results at all here, probably just testing in a race situation what he needs to do to close gaps. Didn't he say something along those lines the other day?

JRanton said:

They didn't go for a train because the team wasn't good enough. Suitsou obviously could have pulled very hard on Wednesday but their tactics indicated to me that they knew the team wasn't strong enough for that. Cataldo wasn't good in this race and they have pretty much nobody else who can be a factor on the final climb.

If you weren't saying he showed weakness, then you weren't really saying anything at all.

They've clearly been messing around this race (presumably trying things rather than being whimsical).

I could hypothesise that starting climbs at the back is based on a theory that fighting for position in the first few hundred meters of a climb involves more effort than pulling in to that position over the first KM. Or he may just be mucking about. In any case, we both know he could have been at the front if he'd wanted to be.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes, history is repeating. Today was such a day.

In 1997, one year after winning the Tour, Riis was angry at his Pinarello and threw it away.

In 2013, Wiggins, one year after winning the Tour, did the same.

End of "repeated history"?

RHRH19861986 said:
Sometimes, history is repeating. Today was such a day.

In 1997, one year after winning the Tour, Riis was angry at his Pinarello and threw it away.

In 2013, Wiggins, one year after winning the Tour, did the same.

End of "repeated history"?

(If not: Riis had a nice press conference in 2007.

So, question: will Wiggo have his press conference in 2023?)

;)

FFS take it to the clinic

RHRH19861986 yes it was a good one :D

especially that last year on crans-montana ITT he said he was calm when he had the mechanical and in other dark time he would just throw it away

so now it's pretty clear that ullrich/froomey will take the tour win this year i guess

jens_attacks said:
RHRH19861986 yes it was a good one :D

especially that last year on crans-montana ITT he said he was calm when he had the mechanical and in other dark time he would just throw it away

so now it's pretty clear that ullrich/froomey will take the tour win this year i guess
Which MTF will be Arcalis?

Ax-3?

manafana said:
funny how he just tossed the bike but it actually propped itself nicely up against the wall in end, really not great to see someone toss their bike just cause the chain went.

Karma ain't a b!tch? :D. For incidents like this is why I do not prefer electronic shifting over mechanical-in fact- Cancellara made the switch immediately after malfunctions during the 2011 E3 Harelbeke & the classics....
But then I wonder why Wiggo wouldn't just get the bike change & have his boys pace/TT him up to Nibbs?