• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro dell'Emilia (1. Pro) - 18/08/2020

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think quite a few riders and teams are very cautious now and want the riders to heal before the big goals. So in other times they may have ridden through the pain, but now they don't. In a way a very different effect than what I and some others expected, that is that they would ride every race like it could be the last one - because it could.

That Roglic San Luca climb in Emilia was only 5 seconds faster than Nibali's ascent in 2017 while he was just casually protecting Visconti who was up on the road from the break. Best version Nibali ever on this kind of climb. Now, today I guess it will be another story.
Roglic sat up more. He was 15s faster than the 2nd fastest dude. Nibali like 2/3 seconds?

I love Nibs, but Roglic is so much more suited to San Luca it's not even funny.

Roglic sat up more. He was 15s faster than the 2nd fastest dude. Nibali like 2/3 seconds?

I love Nibs, but Roglic is so much more suited to San Luca it's not even funny.

It is a Roglic climb, no doubt. Nibs just had a stratospheric form then, those couple of seconds to the third are irrelevant as he was just closing every attack in order to allow Visconti to win, accelerating only in the final to take second place. Anyway, as we'll probably see today, it's just a reminder of how far off his shape is during these weeks.

Reactions: Red Rick
Because the Tour is what matterd the most for Sky by far. And its unlikely that this had changed with Ineos. It is what gets you the best publicity. Anyway, Carapaz won't ride the Tour.
It is, no doubt, but Giro has some significance for them too. They went with Froome, Wiggins, Thomas, Porte... as the leaders there. And I can't remember designated Giro leader being pulled off to ride the Tour, even at Sky.

It is, no doubt, but Giro has some significance for them too. They went with Froome, Wiggins, Thomas, Porte... as the leaders there. And I can't remember designated Giro leader being pulled off to ride the Tour, even at Sky.
I can't remember a single season when they realised they were in such bad condition for the Tour before the Giro started.

Oops, my bad. 2018. But they had months to prepare a backup leader. And they sent their 'problem' leader to the Giro. Same as they did in 2013.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS