• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro dell'Emilia: Sat 9th Oct - 195.6km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Andy, Andy ... not looking good for Lombardy. Just saying. And the fact that you kind of announced it on twitter doesn't make it better.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Andy, Andy ... not looking good for Lombardy. Just saying. And the fact that you kind of announced it on twitter doesn't make it better.

does he care about it? His season is over after le Tour. Now it's time for parties and beer!

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Funny, Martin rides like Gesink did 2 years ago. Too much leadwork and not riding with his head yet.
He'll learn though.

Yes... Martin was really strong and Gesink, for once, took advantage of another rider.

Also, weird what happened to Neebs. At 250 to go he's alongside Gesink, winding up his sprint, and by the finish he's 10 seconds down and out of sight... What was going on there :confused:

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think Martin did everything right as a climber he is...attacked in the steepest parts to get rid of fast finishers like Ricco and Kolobnev. Just because he didn't beat Gesink for the win doesn't mean he used wrong tactics. Playing the waiting game doesn't benefit less explosive riders like himself. Gesink actually got fast legs in a selective sprint so he's quite comfortable with that unlike Martin.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
insideout leadout said:
I think Martin did everything right as a climber he is...attacked in the steepest parts to get rid of fast finishers like Ricco and Kolobnev. Just because he didn't beat Gesink for the win doesn't mean he used wrong tactics. Playing the waiting game doesn't benefit less explosive riders like himself. Gesink actually got fast legs in a selective sprint so he's quite comfortable with that unlike Martin.

Since when is Ricco not considered a climber anymore?

theyoungest said:
Strange viddy... seems like they shortened the final sprint quite a bit :confused:

Martin(i) rode a super race. Probably shouldn't have spent all that time on the front but he made the race.

I've ridden San Luca before. Some great little trattorias hidden away on that colli. Check it out if in the area. Fly to Bologna.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It was weird indeed, he was standing, then stopped, then standing again, and then gone. It looked to me like he was cramping up
He was also dropped on the steepest part. He might just have cramped up completely when trying to sprint....

Very subtily trying to reestablish the "Nibali doesnt like steep sections" thing.
:rolleyes:

Last month it seemed like a conclusive defeat. But in the same way that deep inside the walls of Rome, the Romans, slowly, so very slowly and silently, built up their forces after disaster at Carthage, Dekker T is trying to so very subtily and silently and slowly build up the Nibali narative from scratch.

Honestly I admire this "never give in" attitude. Kind of like Cuddles. And have i mentioned that its very subtle? I like the way you did that

nicely done. ;)

However, I (and presumably others - Jamsque, Mellow Velo etc ) will be ready to pounce once again next year, when Nibali crushes it on the mur de hoy, or sets a new Alpe d huez record :p

insideout leadout said:
Actually, two years ago people where saying the same about Gesink what you say about Martin now.

I don't think Gesink suddenly changed into an explosive guy or good sprinter, I think he simply learned how to use that energy by saving it. Martin is where gesink was 2 years ago.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Who said Barrus is banned:confused:

I was, and all because i wanted to do you a favour by giving you an angel :p

(No but really some miscommunications and mistakes made it so that I needed to take a short break;))

Amazing that people notices so quickly though