• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro di Lombardia changes date in 2012 - RCS, please stand up with me (us?)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zinoviev Letter said:
Which is ridiculous as the only people who care about Beijing are the couple of teams in real danger of losing their World Tour status. Well them and certain people we could think of with a financial interest in the race. Chinese people sure as hell don't care about it, judging by the complete absence of spectators.

I think this is a little unfair, this has more to do with the government want a 'perfect' race and ensuring that there was no trouble. As the restrictions were dropped and people were allowed into the race area the crowds started to grow.
If they could put some hills in it maybe it has a chance. But I think the Chinese are hoping that they could have some success with local riders and they are not riding endurance at this stage

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Regarding the troubling fate of the Italian semi-classics, Milan Torino will return on 26 September next year and Piemonte will be on the 27th.

Emilia, Sabatini and others have been left high and dry - difficult to see them surviving. I guess RCS isn't bothered about races they don't organise.

http://www.quotidianopiemontese.it/2011/10/06/ecco-il-gran-piemonte-2011-la-guida-per-seguire-i-passaggi-della-corsa/

What does it matter? if the Worlds are scheduled on 23 Sep and Lombardia on 29 Sep, who on earth (among those who rode Worlds and about to ride Lombardia) will ride Piemonte on 27 Sep? The best solution for the races like Emilia, Sabatini or Piemonte is to shift dates to the Vuelta time (or in the first week after it ends), making the succession of races with Canadian races (7, 9 Sep) and GP de Wallonnie (12 Sep) one week before or just after them...

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
George Bush Jnr is to the USA what Pat McQuiad is to Cycling.

I can't believe I just said that! :p

Yeah, he changed the date because the UCI found out those falling leaves could potentially be used as weapons of mass destruction.

Moderately unfunny joke.

The States and China two biggest economies in the world but heaven forfend trying to grow the sport in these markets. Uurgh, he used the word market.

We would rather be ruined than changed,
We would rather die in our dread
Than climb the cross of the moment
And let our illusions die.

Why can "growth markets" only be accessed at the expense of history, tradition, and the best races on the calendar?

I think it would have been best to have "that" race in February after Oman. As it is there are no "top level" stage races from TdU to P-N, although I guess Qatar/Oman may step up to that level soon enough.

Is it too wintery in Beijing in February to hold a race at that time? What about hosting it in the South East instead?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why can "growth markets" only be accessed at the expense of history, tradition, and the best races on the calendar?

I think it would have been best to have "that" race in February after Oman. As it is there are no "top level" stage races from TdU to P-N, although I guess Qatar/Oman may step up to that level soon enough.

Is it too wintery in Beijing in February to hold a race at that time? What about hosting it in the South East instead?

China = Ca$h so south east asia no go.

I don´t mind China having the close of the WT - teams that needs points will stack it and everyone else will send young riders. I will stop watching much after Lombardia - but I still think that bringing the race early is wrong.

My big worry with the new races ie Russia, China the US and Canada around when the on Vuelta is that 30 riders will not be enough, how EE are going to go with 23 next year Ive no idea.

So bigger teams need more money, teams still get money only from Sponsors, Sponsors don´t want in because of Clinic issues, The UCI controls more and more does less and less to grow the sport but uses expansion as a way to line their pockets and of their family members - here is looking at you Fat Pat.

The UCI needs to have less of a roll in cycling not more

I could go on and on.

The only way for this to change in for the Country federations to do something about it - but if the country UCI members and controlling the expansion races why would they.

As I said in the clinic Pat is an evil Genius - he may destroy the sport by the time he has finished but I guess that cyclings lot in life.

destroyed from the core

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tigerion said:
I think this is a little unfair, this has more to do with the government want a 'perfect' race and ensuring that there was no trouble. As the restrictions were dropped and people were allowed into the race area the crowds started to grow.
If they could put some hills in it maybe it has a chance. But I think the Chinese are hoping that they could have some success with local riders and they are not riding endurance at this stage

Problem is that Beijing is pretty flat, only when you leave the city and head towards the great wall is where you will find the hills.

Ferminal said:

Yeah it's pretty cold there, snow and all that. Hangzhou which is about an hour's train ride from Shanghai (more south west IIRC) and they do get snow.

jens_attacks said:
adriano amici says that giro dell'emilia will be gone in 2 years.and all the races organised by gs emilia(Giro dell'Emilia, GP Beghelli, Memorial Pantani, Classica Sarda,Settimana Coppi e Bartali,Giro di Sardegna)

he might overreact though because of the failure of the italian federation.

http://www.cicloweb.it/articolo/201...ra-amici-fra-due-anni-chiudiamo-un-altro-disa

but horrible news anyway...

That would be terrible. They are all very decent races towards the start or end of the calendar.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
adriano amici says that giro dell'emilia will be gone in 2 years.and all the races organised by gs emilia(Giro dell'Emilia, GP Beghelli, Memorial Pantani, Classica Sarda,Settimana Coppi e Bartali,Giro di Sardegna)

http://www.cicloweb.it/articolo/201...ra-amici-fra-due-anni-chiudiamo-un-altro-disa

How depressing. The saddest thing is that this is not only the UCI - RCS and the World Tour teams seem fully complicit. As these races die off, what will the effect be on Pro Continental teams? Their calendar will be gutted.

Problem is WorldTour teams will only look at their own benefits. They will think they can score more points as Lombardia is closer to the Worlds. Lombardia (RCS) probably got cash from UCI to accept this change (or some other, less obvious, benefits).

Riders don't care about it either, and I can't blame them. They are busy scoring points for their team, getting better results to score a better contract. They too will think this gives them increased chances in Lombardia.

That means that when the race is not organized by a big organization that opposes, there is no pressure group that actually honestly cares about what the UCI does. Which in turn means they can go and look for money rather than cycling. Thanks, Pat. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

Yes! Now Piemonte will be the biggest one day race in Italy besides Lombardia and San Remo!

Yup, this is sarcasm.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yes! Now Piemonte will be the biggest one day race in Italy besides Lombardia and San Remo!

or, which would be even better, the ONLY one day race in Italy besides Lombardia and San Remo! :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You know, right now I a,m glad no-one at UCI HQ has considered moving the actual race from Lombardia to China. Although at this rate, any of the 24 places called Paris could become the starting point to Roubaix, as long as they bring the right amount of dosh, it seems. Those cobbles will be deemed too unsafe soon anyway.

I am all about promoting the sport across the globe, but only when it means that we get far more people enjoying far more riders competing for far more races at that same high level, and with substantially more people benefiting financially as a result.

I am no fan of seeing the same pool of riders being spread increasingly thin across far too many faceless races with the proven durability of a fruitfly. And seeing teams obliged to participate in parts of the planet that mean nada to the only people that really bankroll our sport, the team sponsors (and media, to some extent).

Whether our sport will live or die, will depend largely on the amount of passion it keeps generating. How we identify with riders, how we view the importance of battle grounds we put them on, and the quality of the myths we keep creating.

You don't create a myth by putting the circus on a plane and throwing money at it. You don't maintain the strength of our pillars by moving them around on a calendar to suit the scheduling of (new) races that flat-line on the passion-meter. And that look to be flat-lining for some time yet. even after chucking artificial stimulants like over-inflated world tour points at it. Points that teams are obliged to chase, even if in the real world they risk seeing all those hard-earns points walk out of the window at the next transfer window. Lunacy.

Riders and teams move so fast that only hard-core forum readers can keep up with who-is-where-and-riding-for-whom. Top teams come and go in one year. Riders swap teams faster than folk swap partners at swinging parties. My partner has all but stopped watching cycling over the last two years as she is finding cycling increasingly confusing to watch. Every time she has just got to grips with the story of who is where doing what and what they look like, we stick it in a blender and it all becomes utterly unrecognisable again, even to hard-core critics of Eurosport commentators.

We are starting to burn a lot of bridges for audiences and sponsors from the current heartlands in pursuit of the dream. To me I am increasingly seeing it as a giant Cycling Heart bypass in the hope of finding an new heart in time to cable it up all up to. So far, I can see next to no signs that that project is making healthy progress, the negatives are, to me, still outweigh the positives (but yes, there are some too). What I do see is that the spirit in the old places appears to be dying a bit. Not all of that is the fault of Pat & Co, some of it seems to be the way it goes.

But if even those that should be most passionate are starting to see our pillars as mere dates in a schedule, how can we hope to invoke passion in others, especially those that are wondering why hours and hours of little action is so meaningful to us?