• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Di Sardegna 22nd to 26th Feb

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Twist it any which way you want, the fact is Szmyd became the only person to ever beat Valverde in a one on one, mano a mano sprint.

Surely you're joking.:confused: Valverde obviously waited for Szmyd. From what I remember Szmyd got so nervous leading up to the finish that he couldn't pedal properly and had to compose himself. That's why the gap between he and Valverde developed. As Valverde made the final turn he was slowing drastically, looking around for Szmyd, who eventually got himself together to get his reward.

Libertine Seguros said:
http://www.eitb.com/sports/en/detai...-defending-champ-valverde-takes-overall-lead/

"It wasn't a real agreement between Valverde and me that I'd win. He saw what had happened and waited. This was the first victory of my career, so it was the action of a real gentleman." - Szmyd

"It wasn't really a gift, Szmyd deserved the victory after working with me to open up the gap on the Ventoux." - Valverde

Yeah, regardless of the fact that I would rather see guys fight it out than give gifts, and regardless of what you may say about Valverde related to doping and suspensions, that was as class a move as I've seen in bike racing.

Didn't quite win me over as much as Voeckler giving the win to Antomarchi last week, that was just sweet because Voeckler's so likable, but definitely a huge gesture of sportsmanship (funny that I think of effectively rigging a result as 'sportsmanship' but whatever). Although I guess if you have over a hundred wins you can give one away now and then.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
call me old-fashioned, but i thought it was pretty normal that as long as the other guy in the break cooperates and is not a threat on GC that the rider who would get the leader's jersey gifted the stage.

Ask Mosquera or Leipheimer if they share that opinion :p

Kudos if you know what I'm referring to.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Puerto de San Isidro 2008, when Mosquera broke everybody except Contador and Leipheimer, and they nipped out of his wheel in the last 200m to take the 1-2? Xaco's team were pretty upset about that.

Yup, that one. ;)

He originally wanted to gift the stage to Valverde though, but he got dropped. But you probably know that as well.

He could've given it to Mosquera for his hard work or to his team mate for his very hard work(Leipheimer is not my favorite rider at all, but I have to give credit where credit is due, he helped Contador a lot in that Vuelta.)

As Leipheimer had just been sat on the back of the trio most of the way up and neither Contador nor Leipheimer had taken a turn, then it was a joke that either of them passed Eze. Once Contador had I can see why Leipheimer would, he still thought he could win the Vuelta for one thing. But I'd have preferred it if they'd let Mosquera take it. He'd done all the work that day. And Leipheimer had had a ride from him most of the way up Angliru too before he and Sastre went clear to chase Contador, Valverde and Rodríguez.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
As Leipheimer had just been sat on the back of the trio most of the way up and neither Contador nor Leipheimer had taken a turn, then it was a joke that either of them passed Eze. Once Contador had I can see why Leipheimer would, he still thought he could win the Vuelta for one thing. But I'd have preferred it if they'd let Mosquera take it. He'd done all the work that day. And Leipheimer had had a ride from him most of the way up Angliru too before he and Sastre went clear to chase Contador, Valverde and Rodríguez.

I kinda felt sad for Mosquera as he did deserve a win, but obviously I was happy Contador won the stage. And looking at the time difference in the end it wasn't a dumb decision per se.

Libertine Seguros said:

Poor Eze has never really had that moment of awesomness. When he finaly did win a stage, it was more of a loss.

roundabout said:
call me old-fashioned, but i thought it was pretty normal that as long as the other guy in the break cooperates and is not a threat on GC that the rider who would get the leader's jersey gifted the stage.

I think it becomes debatable on a climb as prestigious as Mount Ventoux. How many other opportunities does a climber have to add this to their record?

TRENDING THREADS