• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2011 Stage 20: Verbania - Sestriere 242km

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ofcourse it is, but if Rodriguez can get away pretty easy when an exhausted Kreuziger has to chase, you'd wonder why he didnt try earlier than the last 1500 or so meters :).

rmacek said:
So, Astana boys (Kreuziger, his masseur and Tiralongo) took helicopter after todays stage to transfer to Milano.. And they had one free place.. Guess who did they take with them?

Yes, you are right, they took Alberto Contador.. :D

Well, you know you are in a good position when you have a free ride from another team :D

greenedge said:
Nibali what happened? I think he and Kreuziger peaked too early for this race. Nice ride by Rodriguez on the one climb that matters.

If anything it was Scarponi who was owning every Italian domestic race and going for the win on stage 5 and 7, that peaked too early for this race.

Nibali seemed to have peaked just right until Scarponi discovered some 2nd peak on stage 15 and out of nowhere found himself in pole position for 2nd.

His problem is the same as anticipated before hand, the Giro was too hilly for him. Hes more someone who is good at hanging in the mountains rather than someone who accelerates away from others on the climb. THe Giro was always to hilly for him. He has earned a lot of respect for riding it, even denying beforehand that the climbs would trouble him and he put in an awesome performance on the Zonc, but in the end there were just too many.

Still amazing that he got on the podium.

A class rider.

rxgqgxnyfz said:
Vino's on air on russian Eurosport!

damn late to the party.what did he say?

amazing performance by vasili,one of the biggest engines out there.climbing faster than the favourites group,ressembling a little bit with sella's on 2008 fedaia.winning for his collegue,xavi that was very emotional,i'm glad they stayed in giro.

good to see purito and gadret showing balls once again.even kreuziger did a fine job yesterday.

betancourt will have a good future too.
rujano god again,i wasn't expecting that after macugnaca terriblle day.il pirata will be unique of course but little rujanito gave us a performance ressembling with pantani's.attacking right from the bottom of the climb to rip the field apart.they brought him back 3 times than he destroyed them,succesfull attack.full flight.pantani's alpe d'huez 1997 in my mind.fuccin legend.he even had 2 minutes advantage on finestre.surviving until the end in second place,amazing performance.

i will hijack the thread once more a little bit.
our rujanito improved the time record of colle delle finestre according to dr. michele ferrari.
di luca,rujano,simoni 2005-1h01'49''
rujano 2011-1h01’29”
!!!!!!!!!!!!awesome!

But Vasily Kiryienka was able to pull a massive performance: on the attack all day in the break, he managed to climb the Colle delle Finestre with the same time as the Maglia Rosa group, 1h03'03” with a VAM over the whole climb of 1619 m/h, eventually winning the stage big time.

indeed kiry was just uber strong.what a ride!