• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2011 Stage 20: Verbania - Sestriere 242km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
While I don't really like him as a rider I feel I must apologize to Rodriguez (even if he doesn't read this forum). He really rode his heart out today and was one of the few people (together with Rujano) to really try. Chapeau.

Other than that it was a pretty indifferent stage unless you're a Kiryienka fan.

Forgot to mention Kreuziger for losing so little time after it looked pretty bad for him at one point. Well done to him.

roundabout said:
Other than that it was a pretty indifferent stage unless you're a Kiryienka fan.

As I said previously, I don't think I care about the lack of GC action. This was a great stage for the same reason as I can put down all of my preconceptions about Armstrong and always enjoy his win in tribute to Casartelli. This was a very emotional win for a team that have had a horrible week. And for that, it was a great stage.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
thanks for that tip. that will get me by. I still really would like to learn some Italian & more Spanish too tho

Very basic language lessons can be found on about.com.

Try Italian.about.com for very basic lessons online. I used it to get French pronunciation last year and a bit of vocabulary before my trip last year.

Libertine Seguros said:
As I said previously, I don't think I care about the lack of GC action. This was a great stage for the same reason as I can put down all of my preconceptions about Armstrong and always enjoy his win in tribute to Casartelli. This was a very emotional win for a team that have had a horrible week. And for that, it was a great stage.

True. I should have mentioned Movistar as well for obvious reasons.

Libertine Seguros said:
beautifully put.

i've watch hundreds of stages and victors crossing the line. there are only a handful i know i will always remember and this is one.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Scirea said:
Kiryienka is a moron. This is the day when he attacks, when he has zero chance to get a win?

Care to apologize to him?

Lance Armstrong said:
Don't trust GPS. It's more like 2:42.

WOW... Lance Armstrong here?? Wonder where is wonderlance these days...

Parrulo said:
kreuziguer wins the il falco of the giro award?

Totally!!!

Moose McKnuckles said:
I doubt Contador will have any interest in this.

Wasnt He sleeping in his bike?? Until Michele's attack He was like "Ibiza or Tenerife?? mmmm joder... I'm pretty sure that Riis will make me go to Denmark... Saxo this... Saxo that... a$$..."

So, Astana boys (Kreuziger, his masseur and Tiralongo) took helicopter after todays stage to transfer to Milano.. And they had one free place.. Guess who did they take with them?

Yes, you are right, they took Alberto Contador.. :D

benpounder said:
Watch Gazzetta.tv along with a live (your native language) ticker. It is surprising how understanding the context will enable you to pick up a language.

Good idea.

rides like a girl said:
Very basic language lessons can be found on about.com.

Try Italian.about.com for very basic lessons online. I used it to get French pronunciation last year and a bit of vocabulary before my trip last year.

Bingo. Lots of stuff there on about.com... that should keep me occupied for a while.
thanks for the help everyone.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Really glad Rodriguez actually had his attack succeeded, he attacked on alot of stages eventhough they were usually late on the climb.

Finestre was epic but disappointed compared to 2005, shame Szmyd had a good day. Not that I dislike Szmyd, but everyone hid behind Szmyd except for Rujano.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kruiswijk was great last night. If the final climb was much harder then I think he may have gotten into reaching distance of Kreuziger . I personally think they way he has ridden he deserves a higher spot on gc. He should come back next year to the giro and look for a top 5. I found myself barracking for him.

Kiriyenka's tribute to Tondo was really cool.

I am also happy that Tschopp moved from 19th to 16th on gc :)

Don't think Szmyd had a particularly good day; he did his job, but his job wasn't the usual 'ride flat out and break the GC men' job he does. Nibali cracked as soon as Szmyd did. The GC men were perhaps content to ride the pace with Szmyd on the front, perhaps his reputation meant they expected more to crack and that they could follow him meant they were doing well, but Szmyd was riding within himself for his leader since Nibali wasn't on a good day. Kiryienka gained time while Szmyd was on the front.