• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.
I know that road.

It probably means I spend too much time making imaginary Giro routes that won't happen.
Are you saying I spend too much time making imaginary Giro route that won't happen?

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.
I know that road.

It probably means I spend too much time making imaginary Giro routes that won't happen.
Are you saying I spend too much time making imaginary Giro route that won't happen?
Plausible.

Gigs_98 said:

The road you're talking about is Strada dell'Assietta. It mostly goes up but there are sections, where it goes down. You may find some stages in the Race Design Thread with this road.

Let's speculate a lil bit. There's this 70th Cuneo - Pinerolo anniversary, but in this day and age the old route isn't selective enough. Let's change Maddalena and Vars for Agnello and then do Sestriere via Basset. It should be almost 250km, roughly 6000-6200m alt gain with 3 TdF HC climbs (Agnello, Izoard and Basset). The top of Basset would be 55 to 65km from the finish (depends if Pramartino is also used). I guess that would be spiritually a bit closer to the original 1949 stage.

Interestingly, if Marseille wins the bid, then going back to France for the 2nd time would look very awkward, so i wonder if it may be the classic version of the 1949 stage, but early in the 1st week (if Izoard will be passable) as i guess Agnello (and in that case definitely not Basset) won't be accessible.

Gigs_98 said:
They want to pave the road that they'll use to climb Basset, the eventual sterrato will be after Basset to go up to Rifugio Fraiteve where they want the finish.

Nirvana said:
Gigs_98 said:
They want to pave the road that they'll use to climb Basset, the eventual sterrato will be after Basset to go up to Rifugio Fraiteve where they want the finish.
Oh my that would be a brutal finish. But still, is it from Sauze or Sestriere? Or does it not say? From Sauze would make it a 1600m MTF, from Sestriere it can be used with Finestre, but Finestre would only be a softener (probably).

l'Assietta is impossible, it won't ever happen. It would be a travesty to pave it (I already would rather they didn't pave Basset), and it's a not-that-commonly used road that's in bad condition, narrow and technical with big falls without barriers. It's far too dangerous.

I'd enjoy a Tre Cime finish.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
From what I've heard the talk was about the Basset side of Sestriere getting paved.
You could climb it from the other side, descent to Sestriere, descent further down to Cesana Torinese and use the other road that goes right by Sauze di Cesana to get back up to Sestriere (or you have that road as a descent and the other one as the final ascent), but that's probably just me also making too many imaginary Giro routes and having all kind of ideas.

Speaking of which, I'm puzzled why they changed the descent from Sestriere this year. At the presentation they were planned to descend the classic ascent, the same that was descended in 2005 and planned in 2013, but in the end they rode the one through Sauze di Cesana.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Speaking of which, I'm puzzled why they changed the descent from Sestriere this year. At the presentation they were planned to descend the classic ascent, the same that was descended in 2005 and planned in 2013, but in the end they rode the one through Sauze di Cesana.
No idea, after the descent they rode on the highway because of landslides, maybe that was also the reason why they changed the descent.

When you were writing about Col Basset, I first thought about the road that leads along the Forte Jafferau. It starts from Bardonecchia, passes the stage finish from last week, and then ascends to the Monte Jafferau which it passes just below 2800 m (around 12.5 km @ 12 % with 25+ % maximum). The road then gradually descends to the valley with the main road to Susa. This might be slight overkill, though.
Both roads are called Basset, hence my confusion :D

Re:

Red Rick said:
I want Stelvio+finish in Livigno
How does such a stage work? Stelvio from Prato and then what?

Tre Cime is a nice climb, with Tre Croci and Giau it can be epic like in 2007. And Mortirolo, the greatest climb in cycling (now with Finistre a close 2nd :D ) is always, always welcome, as long as it isn't the baby Mortirolo of 2017.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Tre Cime is a nice climb, with Tre Croci and Giau it can be epic like in 2007. And Mortirolo, the greatest climb in cycling (now with Finistre a close 2nd :D ) is always, always welcome, as long as it isn't the baby Mortirolo of 2017.
There's always a truckload of flat before the Stelvio from that side. You can start in Bolzano, go over Passo Mendola and Passo Palades to set up the breakaway, descend to Merano, and then have your 70km of flat before the Stelvio.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't like any variation of Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo in one stage cause it's just gonna be about the last climb, making the other 2 kind of a waste.

Stelvio/Gavia and then either Tonale or Aprica would be interesting.

How would that be?

If they are going to use Mortirolo, I would prefer the traditional Mortirolo-Aprica finish, and preferrably with Gavia (and Mendola/Palade and Tonale) before that.

Lol, that could actually work quite well, Red Rick.

HRE3Byn.png

Then the next day: Aprica->Santa Cristina->Trivigno->Mortirolo->Padrio->Tirano (123km)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

There's always a truckload of flat before the Stelvio from that side. You can start in Bolzano, go over Passo Mendola and Passo Palades to set up the breakaway, descend to Merano, and then have your 70km of flat before the Stelvio.
You can have the Vinschgauer Höhenstrasse right before Stelvio from that side.
VinschgauerHohenstrasseE.gif

If you start further south you could also have Mendel + Gampen Joch before Stelvio.